The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by mrstlc13
Hi everyone, this is my first post on TSR, so please be gentle with me.

I know, I'm well in advance here, but I'm a mature student currently partaking in an Open Uni Natural Sciences Degree with a heavy biology part..... My degree title will be BSc Natural Sciences-Biology.

Basically, although academically bright, I didn't do well with my A levels as I was suffering through a huge bout of depression at the time (2007-2008) and went trough a self destructive phase, but my dream has always been medicine.
After having my two children, I decided to try and pursue the dream and started doing the above mentioned degree in 2015....I am expected to graduate in Aug 2020..... I'm aiming for a 1st, and have no reason to suspect I'll get anything less.
So, now, I'm battling through this degree and looking at Med schools for GEM, looking at the current and previous year entry points and have narrowed it down to 5 that will accept students based purely on academic results at degree and don't include A level (obviously interview, work experience, GAMSAT or BMAT or UKCAT withstanding).

After totally botching up my A-levels 10 years ago, I am absolutely determined to flourish as I should have done in order to get a place for GEM, which means I'm studying and planning everything in advance (literally talking 3 year plans now), to try and succeed.

My questions are:
-Will doing a degree with the OU have a negative impact on my application, even if I end up with a 1st? (I know for instance with the Imperial C London, they require a checklist to be completed and signed to say that the required topics have been studied etc)
-When should I be sitting the UKCAT, GAMSAT and BMAT? If I apply by October 2019 deadline, do I sit the exams in the Summer of 2019? Or by the summer of 2019? As I think the GAMSAT/ BMAT results don't come back until after the October 2019 application deadline?
-Is it too early to buy the GAMSAT gold books? Is each edition only relevant to the year you plan to test? Or will I find it beneficial to order previous year textbooks? I'm just cringing at the £200 price tag and will buy it if it helps, but if its pointless until the actual test year, its an awful lot of money to throw away.
-Has anyone else been in a similar situation to me and been successful? Am i doing this OU degree with absolutely zero hope of making it into medicine? Bearing in mind that I'll be 31 by the time my course starts, so haven't exactly got loads of time on my hands, particularly if I choose to go down a surgical route..... It would be nice to make consultant before I'm due to retire :biggrin:

I'm sorry for the complicated post, I'm just feeling a little panicked that I won't make it

If you need any GAMSAT materials feel free to PM me - I have Hi everyone, If anyone needs some GAMSAT materials to purchase, PM me! I have the GAMSAT Gold standard (2016-2017) text book.
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to keep the story short but include as much relevant details as I can. I finished school in 2010 and left school with around 6 GCSE's not including science. English and Maths at Grade C and others GCSE's also at C.

I went on to complete my BTEC Extended Diploma in Medical Science in 2013 with grade Triple Distinction.

I then went on to complete my BSc in Computer Science in July 2016 this year and graduated with a second class upper division 2:1 honours.

I secured a graduate job 2 weeks later as an IT Analyst working in London.

The role is great, the people are amazing and the salary is decent. I however really want to study medicine, do you think I stand a chance? And if so, could you please tell me or point me in the right direction of the things I would need in order to apply for example As levels if required?

Also I would like to apply for 2020 entry.

Thanks for reading guys. :smile: Appreciate it if you made it this far.
When I was younger I always thought I'd be doing it to make my dad happy and proud but as I've matured I've learnt there's so much more to it. When I'm working in IT there's no greater joy then helping someone and I can't imagine the feeling when you help a patient it must feel so much more rewarding, and I know they're two different worlds and in IT if you make a mistake the risks aren't such that you're putting someone's life in danger depending on the role you're in ofcourse but I just crave that responsibility and I really want to help sick people especially the elderly and treat patients and just help to nurture the sick and injured until they get better and communicate with them and give them reassurance whilst actively working to make a difference the best way I can and help them to understand the underlying problems and when I see so many people over the world suffering from diseases and illnesses that can be maintained or cured by treatments we take for granted, I just would really love to help them and I think as a Doctor it would be the only job for me through which I could really make a substantial and significant difference to people's lives and that would bring me more happiness than any money in the world. Because let's face it if I was doing this for the money I wouldn't be applying for graduate entry medicine after graduating uni and starting a graduate job at one of the best universitys in London in IT. There are a few thousand more words I could write but here are just a few for now. I realise there are not many full stops or commas in the above but I just got carried away. :smile:
Thank you for your reply. :smile: Are there more applicants per place for the 5 year courses or fewer?
Very helpful, thank you again. I really appreciate it. :smile:
Hi guys, I'm coming upto halfway of my last year studying Biomed (mostly likely high 2:1, or low 1:1 overall). I haven't really gathered any work experience at all. I'd like to apply for GEM sep 2019 for 2020 entry.

I was wondering if it would be better if I worked full time (as a HCA) throughout the whole year from february 2019 and applied for GEM or -> -> if I basically worked from april to september full time as a HCA and other varieties of exp and then went onto do a years MSc at UCL in Dementia (neuroscience)?

Is one option more optimal than the other for applying to GEM?

Thank you
Reply 106
I think a MSc would certainly make you very competitive but if you get at least a 2:1, good entrance exam scores and work experience you'd still stand a good chance.

I went for the gap year option so I could really concentrate on my ukcat and gaining lots of work experience and I've got 2 interviews so far.
If you've got a 2:1 then get the work experience and get cash money
I'm studying neuroscience at Keele, and will be applying to Newcastle, Warwick, King's and St Barts for 2020 entry. A quick note to students who aren't wanting to take a year out for experience, you can always work as HCA part time on bank with your studies. I work one shift every week and have done since September, and you can pick up a lot more shifts in holidays.
Reply 109
Hello Everyone, I am looking to connect with Arts students/ professionals etc that are thinking of applying for GEM at Warwick OR HAVE successfully enrolled onto GEM at Warwick/ Newcastle post ARTS Degree. I was wondering if you might share your experiences with me? I know that Warwick & Newcastle are one of the few places that will allow you to enrol onto a medical degree without consideration for your Alevels or your choice in degree. I also like that they offer the UKCAT. So all these factors taken into consideration- Warwick will be my first choice.

About me: I am coming to the end of my degree in BA Textiles, and to cut a long story short, I now have a deep calling to study medicine and believe that I will make an excellent doctor. After the completion of degree (I am predicted a 1st) I will work as a HCA and I will have an opportunity to shadow an Orthopaedic consultant & a GP to meet Warwick's very hands on work experience requirements. But can anyone share with me their Journey, Experiences etc? How they got on with the UKCAT having no Science A levels or background? I would be forever grateful. This complete desire of mine to study medicine is a flame that will never burn out, so I am prepared to do everything it takes to get into GEM and become the best doctor I can be. I know there will be people out there with such strong aspirations so I thought it would be great if we could support each other through this post. X
hey guys,
my gcses & a-levels were pretty average, not at all competitive for undergraduate medicine hence why i didnt apply
i'm in my second year of biomedical science, not at oxbridge or a red brick university
hopefully will be predicted a 1st for final year
with regards to work experience, what is sufficient? i am volunteering at my local hospital - but i need to do more any ideas?
also i'm most interested in universities in london preferably will move there if i get an offer at a london uni but to be honest i will be applying to the ones i will most likely get into

a question - if we dont manage to get an offer for 2020 entry, is it possible to ring up 5-year courses on results day (or prior to results day) and ask if they have spaces, if this is possible i will definately be sitting all 3 admissions tests, if not I will be keeping clear of the GAMSAT from what i've heard it sounds awful
hey again guysss
goodluck in any upcoming interviews :biggrin:

i asked this on my thread (2020) but no-one has answered as its not as busy as this one so I shall ask it here
a question - if we dont manage to get an offer for 2020 entry, is it possible to ring up 5-year courses on results day (or prior to results day) and ask if they have spaces, if this is possible i will definately be sitting all 3 admissions tests, if not I will be keeping clear of the GAMSAT from what i've heard it sounds awful
Original post by a-spiringmedic
hey again guysss

i asked this on my thread (2020) but no-one has answered as its not as busy as this one so I shall ask it here

Yes and no. I tried Newcastle and they insisted that I needed AAA despite that not being their a level requirements for grads, and having well above their UKCAT cut off. Southampton don’t. St. George’s wouldn’t look at grads. I couldn’t even take up an undergrad offer that I had previously declined.

But yes because it does happen *some* years. Not many at all but it isn’t entirely impossible or unheard of.

Gamsat is actually not as bad as it sounds I don’t understand all the hoo-ha. It’s much easier to get a score that will get you an interview with the GAMSAT than UKCAT imho
hey again guysss

Original post by Antibiotics
Yes and no. I tried Newcastle and they insisted that I needed AAA despite that not being their a level requirements for grads, and having well above their UKCAT cut off. Southampton don’t. St. George’s wouldn’t look at grads. I couldn’t even take up an undergrad offer that I had previously declined.

But yes because it does happen *some* years. Not many at all but it isn’t entirely impossible or unheard of.

Gamsat is actually not as bad as it sounds I don’t understand all the hoo-ha. It’s much easier to get a score that will get you an interview with the GAMSAT than UKCAT imho

antibiotics makes some very good points but just be mindful that trying to do all 3 entrance exams is a hard ask on yourself and is quite the financial uptaking. you are looking at upwards of £550 so make sure the unis are worth it.
Original post by feyi123
antibiotics makes some very good points but just be mindful that trying to do all 3 entrance exams is a hard ask on yourself and is quite the financial uptaking. you are looking at upwards of £550 so make sure the unis are worth it.

I assume it’s not a worry considering the candidate is prepared to shell out for undergrad!
I assume it’s not a worry considering the candidate is prepared to shell out for undergrad!

aha you make a good point !!

i see, wow thats really strict
lets hope for the best!!

Original post by feyi123

money not being an issue, but time defo!! i dont know if I have the time to prepare for all 3 admission tests and undertake work experience and focus on my degree

yup, v grateful to be in a position where I have the flexibility to apply to any medical school (due to financial aid)
yup, v grateful to be in a position where I have the flexibility to apply to any medical school (due to financial aid)

I mean strictly speaking you can’t do that much prep for S1 and S2 GAMSAT (I did like two hours for s2 and got 70- science background). S1 I did maybe a day and dropped massively the second time I did it so I think there’s a luck element.

UKCAT skills are also tested in BMAT, and the essay is in two of these exams. So really actually there’s a lot of crossover. I’d do all three, I did two and could’ve done three.
I’ve just thought it might be different this/next year with some new unis popping up... you could try the likes of Sunderland etc that might actually get you somewhere
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BethyO
Yes just those two. I’ve also applied to Newcastle for both A101 and A100, but haven’t heard anything at all yet.
I feel incredibly lucky though to have been given interviews at Warwick and Bart’s :biggrin: x

could i ask for your stats? barts and warwick are ones im seriously considering x

Latest

Trending

Trending