The Student Room Group

chemistry

im finding it hard to understand certain aspects of chemistry especially organic. my teachers explains it and the whole class gets it but me? any tips how to find my way through to understanding organic chem?
Original post by nishathjk
im finding it hard to understand certain aspects of chemistry especially organic. my teachers explains it and the whole class gets it but me? any tips how to find my way through to understanding organic chem?

Whenever i'm struggling with anything topic in Chemistry, I watch videos from Eliot Rintoul's youtube channel- he helps a lot with understanding :smile:
snaprevise
The thing that's always helped me in Organic, and continues to help me to this day, is that I recognise there are trends everywhere.
Functional groups all react and interact with the same things every time. Mechanisms for certain reactions, such as the electrophilic addition across a double bond, all proceed in the same manner each and every time with the same types of reactants. There are other trends too.

It's similar to Inorganic, when you have generalised reactions such as H+ + OH- to produce water, regardless of the source of H+ and OH-.
My advice is simply this: if you can generalise things as much as you can, i.e. by remembering general reactions for certain functional groups, general mechanisms etc, then it will help you a lot as it will simplify many problems right down and make things much easier to remember.

It may seem like Organic is big and scary, but once you get the hang of it, it's probably the most beautiful discipline! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest