The Student Room Group

Universities for medicinal chemistry

What universities are the best for medicinal chemistry?
Original post by ryanar

Do you mean pharmacy or biomedical sciences?
Original post by BetaVersion2.9
Do you mean pharmacy or biomedical sciences?

Medicinal chemistry is a specific degree, it's essentially a chemistry degree with some specific options in medicinal chemistry preselected. It's separate to both biomedical sciences and pharmacy.

Original post by ryanar

Just look at good chemistry departments in general, and see which have research focuses in medicinal chemistry. A medicinal chemistry degree as above is fundamentally still a chemistry degree, you just have some options preselected for you. In the same way an astrophysics degree covers all the same content of a physics degree, you just have a couple options selected for you and a different degree name (which is unimportant, incidentally).

In a related note, you shouldn't limit yourself just to universities offering degrees called "medicinal chemistry" - just look at any strong chemistry course which also has options in medicinal chemistry, regardless of whether the degree is called "medicinal chemistry" or just "chemistry". As you will effectively study the same content on a chemistry degree if you just take the medicinal chemistry options.
which universities have strong chemistry departments then? and offer good opportunities for internships/year in industry
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by ryanar
which universities have strong chemistry departments then? and offer good opportunities for internships/year in industry

In terms of strong departments generally, Oxbridge, Imperial, Southampton, Bath, and Manchester all spring to mind. I know of those Southampton and I think Bath offer placement options within the course.
Reply 5
medicinal chemistry is very specific so when I applied I looked at places I wanted to live eg, city vs country. I then looked at the courses as medicinal chemistry courses vary massively between unis. For instance York does more inorganic chemistry in medicine while bath does more of gaining an understanding of how the body works then how the medicine actually works. I'm heavily bias as I study chemistry for drug discovery at bath but I ended up choosing it because of how well it trains you for industry and how much better the placements are. Also look at if u want to do a placement as some unis are defiantly better than others as at bath I have the choice of gsk, astrazenica, exotec and more. Feel free to message me as I know it can be very hard to find others interested in med them :smile:

Original post by ryanar

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending