The Student Room Group

Biochemistry undergraduate course

Hi ,
I would be interested in doing this course next year as an undergraduate .I would like to know more about it from a student perspective such as how you are getting on , why did you choose it ,where you are currently studying ,if it is equally split between chemistry and biology topics or not and what are your future career aspirations?
Original post by 00vicky00
Hi ,
I would be interested in doing this course next year as an undergraduate .I would like to know more about it from a student perspective such as how you are getting on , why did you choose it ,where you are currently studying ,if it is equally split between chemistry and biology topics or not and what are your future career aspirations?

Im starting biochemistry (integrated masters) at NTU
Look at the course modules - mine is more biology focused than chemistry. Others may be different
I am interested in the RNA world and I like the course modules
Intending to do a PhD after
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi ,

Hi 00vicky00,
My name is Sofia and I am a 3rd Year Biochemistry student at the University of Sheffield. I chose Biochemistry as I really enjoyed both Biology and Chemistry at A level and wanted to study a degree that is a mix of the two. I really enjoy my degree and would describe it as using chemistry to investigate/ explain Biology. There is a lot to do with proteins and amino acids but also DNA and nucleic acids depending on which modules you pick. I have found all of these topics to be very interesting. In terms of a career, there are many different pathways you can follow with a Biochemistry degree. This can range from lab work to non lab-based work such as patent law or teaching. I am currently on an integrated masters degree and will probably continue on to do a PhD after I graduate as I really enjoy working in a research setting.
I hope this helped,
Sofia
Don’t be fooled by the name, a biochemistry degree is essentially a course in cell biology. It contains very little general chemistry and even less advanced material that undergrads will cover in a chemistry degree. In my chemistry PhD group we had a girl join us who had done a biochemistry degree and got one of the top grades in the year and yet she didn’t know even the most basic organic chemistry we had covered in first year of chemistry degree. So if you want a more even split of bio and chem then this isn’t the degree for you.
Hi ,

As above, a biochemistry degree in the UK is not a degree in biology and chemistry, nor is it a degree in biological chemistry. It's a molecular/cell biology degree. The only degree in the UK where you will cover a substantial amount of chemistry is a chemistry degree.

Note though in some other countries this may not be the case; often in the US biochemistry degrees are much more heavily chemistry based and may in fact be based in the chemistry department. But in the UK it's not like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending