The Student Room Group

taking a levels I don't like?

So I'm planning to take physics chemistry maths and f maths, as I want to study materials science, which needs all (they don't say that both physics and chemistry are 'required', but most people who get into top unis do them, and I want to do f maths as it is considered helpful). At school, I'm not really enjoying chemistry, but with my tutor it's more interesting. I am also getting grade 9s in all of the subjects above, and I really like physics. Do you think that it is OK to take one less enjoyable subject if it opens more doors?
I think the important thing to work out is whether taking Phys + Chem is actually any advantage, or whether it's just a common subject combination, (similar to Maths, FM & Physics). IE. just because people took it, doesn't mean that's why they got offers.

I wouldn't be swayed into take a subject that I disliked unless I saw concrete proof it was going to benefit me.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
I think the important thing to work out is whether taking Phys + Chem is actually any advantage, or whether it's just a common subject combination, (similar to Maths, FM & Physics). IE. just because people took it, doesn't mean that's why they got offers.

I wouldn't be swayed into take a subject that I disliked unless I saw concrete proof it was going to benefit me.

I don't necessarily dislike chemistry- I like it more than a lot of other subjects, and I'm worried that if I don't take it doors will be closed- I do find most of the content interesting, just our teachers aren't the best
Original post by ELEPHANTRAT
I don't necessarily dislike chemistry- I like it more than a lot of other subjects, and I'm worried that if I don't take it doors will be closed- I do find most of the content interesting, just our teachers aren't the best

Unless you find places where it's essential or specifically listed as a preferred subject, it's not gong to close any doors.

Any you still umming and ahhing about doing something chem related at undergrad?
Reply 4
I want to do materials science- which is basically physics and chemistry, so without chemistry it would be more difficult. Also I don't want to close off something biology related either
I want to do materials science- which is basically physics and chemistry, so without chemistry it would be more difficult. Also I don't want to close off something biology related either

Chemistry is a very unique subject so not doing it means that you will likely not know the chemistry related content. Have a look at the entry requirements for different potential courses and see if you need chemistry.

if you don’t want to close off anything biology related, i think chemistry fits the criteria well. in some ways it sort of bridges the sciences together.
Reply 7
I think chemistry is much more interesting at A-level. Maybe you could watch some A-level chemistry videos and decide for yourself? Speak to your tutor about it too
Reply 8
thank you, I'll try that. my tutor says it is much more interesting as they explain more. I'm hoping that is the case
If you don’t actually necessarily dislike it and you do find it interesting, I don’t think you should worry about the teacher and if it do benefits you it might be worth going for it
Reply 10
Original post by dissatisfied-bon
If you don’t actually necessarily dislike it and you do find it interesting, I don’t think you should worry about the teacher and if it do benefits you it might be worth going for it

Thanks! I'll see how it goes. The only other subject I would consider taking is German, but that's useless for stem, or possibly biology, but that doesn't go well with physics so chemistry is probably my safest option?
Thanks! I'll see how it goes. The only other subject I would consider taking is German, but that's useless for stem, or possibly biology, but that doesn't go well with physics so chemistry is probably my safest option?

Yeah, I think it’ll be the best option you have if you do find most content of your chemistry lessons interesting. (Chemistry and physics are my favorite subjects too)
Reply 12
Original post by dissatisfied-bon

Yeah, I think it’ll be the best option you have if you do find most content of your chemistry lessons interesting. (Chemistry and physics are my favorite subjects too)

thank you!
It’s fine, I’m starting to consider subjects to choose for my IGCSE exam too.
So I'm planning to take physics chemistry maths and f maths, as I want to study materials science, which needs all (they don't say that both physics and chemistry are 'required', but most people who get into top unis do them, and I want to do f maths as it is considered helpful). At school, I'm not really enjoying chemistry, but with my tutor it's more interesting. I am also getting grade 9s in all of the subjects above, and I really like physics. Do you think that it is OK to take one less enjoyable subject if it opens more doors?

You can get into many materials courses with just physics. Some chemistry background may be useful but is probably not indispensable - however some materials courses may require you do a module in chemistry in first year if you didn't take it to A-level.
Reply 15
Original post by artful_lounger

You can get into many materials courses with just physics. Some chemistry background may be useful but is probably not indispensable - however some materials courses may require you do a module in chemistry in first year if you didn't take it to A-level.

ok, thanks! I just feel like taking chemistry might be safer?
ok, thanks! I just feel like taking chemistry might be safer?

I mean it's likely you're going to have to cover at least some of the material sooner or later so you may as well do it in school when you have a lot more contact hours and support.
Reply 17
yeah that's probably safer

Quick Reply

Latest