The Student Room Group

Chemistry or Biochemistry?

Hey, I'm currently starting uni applications and I'm deciding between Chemistry and Biochemistry.
My ideal job is being some sort of formulator/cosmetic chemist and I was wondering if it's worth it to apply for Biochem which is more competitive for chem if it will just give me the same end result. Any advice?
Reply 1
Biochemistry route is best. I studied chemistry and wish I had studied biochem. I had biochem subsids and loved these modules. The chemistry syllabus requires you to cover physical, organic and inorganic chemistry and really only the organic chemistry modules are relevant to drug synthesis. I found the inorganic lectures so boring and physical chemistry was too theoretical. Opt for biochem.
Original post by mike23mike
Biochemistry route is best. I studied chemistry and wish I had studied biochem. I had biochem subsids and loved these modules. The chemistry syllabus requires you to cover physical, organic and inorganic chemistry and really only the organic chemistry modules are relevant to drug synthesis. I found the inorganic lectures so boring and physical chemistry was too theoretical. Opt for biochem.

Thanks for the reply! Another worry for me is that Chemistry is way less competitive for Biochem - therefore it may be easier to get into. Will choosing Chem over Biochem affect my career in formulation in any way?
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure you only really need organic chemistry for the chemical synthesis aspect of cosmetic chemistry, since the other subsets are way more abstract. Biochem would be better.

Not sure where you're aiming to apply, but KCL does have a chemistry with biomedicine course if that's more up your alley.
Reply 4
Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
Hey, I'm currently starting uni applications and I'm deciding between Chemistry and Biochemistry.
My ideal job is being some sort of formulator/cosmetic chemist and I was wondering if it's worth it to apply for Biochem which is more competitive for chem if it will just give me the same end result. Any advice?

Go to several different University Open Days.
Listen to the subject presentations for these subjects and ask questions.

Useful careers info :
Biochemistry - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biochemistry
Chemistry - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/chemistry
Biomedical - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/biomedical-scientist
Pharmacology - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/pharmacology

I can't as I don't live in the UK. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Reply 6
I can't as I don't live in the UK. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Look on the Unis own websites for specific course videos - and on YouTube for Campus Tours and Open Day films.
Reply 7
to be honest i feel like it’s just what topics you prefer in chemistry. many chemistry degrees have modules relating to exactly what field you want to go into but at the end of the day it’s a case of how much you enjoy organic chemistry, as you don’t want to be stuck doing inorganic and physical for the rest of your degree if you don’t actually enjoy them.

i applied for biochemistry originally then switched to chemistry after receiving all my biochem offers and i would say it’s not as competitive as you may think (unless you’re going for like oxford/imperial type of unis), as long as you have a decent personal statement and the required predicted grades there’s a high change you’ll get an offer
Reply 8

You will really struggle working in formulation without a chemistry degree. Although I’m heavily bias I do med chem I’ll say that even though yes the biochem modules are more interesting I would say just about as much of it will be irrelevant to you as what’s in a chemistry degree. At the end of the day working in formulation requires working in a lab and in a chemistry degree you’ll get 10x the amount of experience than in any other degree

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a fourth year in natural sciences at Lancaster. I was similarly torn between chemistry and biochemistry when applying, so torn in fact that I instead opted to study natural sciences where I could study both!

I have found natural sciences to be such a flexible degree as you can choose pathways to study from across two or three different departments. At Lancaster there are so many different pathways to choose from across all branches of chemistry, physics, maths, biology, geography and psychology, just to name a few. Each university will do pathways slightly differently and a have a varied range of possible combinations so definitely check that out on the relevant websites. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/

There is also the option to alter you pathway choices as you progress through your degree. For me this was extremely valuable as I was able to drop my physical chemistry pathway after first year to allow for a greater focus on biochemistry.

One of the best things about natural sciences is the vast range of experiences you get and people you meet. Since you study alongside the single honours students across multiple departments, you get to see so many more faces and there is never a lonely lecture. It’s also great to see how all the different sciences interlink and you can often apply something you learnt in one subject to one of your other pathways which is fascinating!

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending