The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

Is Canterbury Christ Church University a Christian university?

As a Christian who is considering whether or not to study at Canterbury Christ Church University, I would like to know if Canterbury Christ Church University is a Christian university?

Scroll to see replies

Have you tried googling it? Why do you need someone else to google it for you?
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by LeapingLucy
Have you tried googling it? Why do you need someone else to google it for you?

According to Wikipedia it is an "Anglican new university" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canterbury_Christ_Church_University), and its website on the "chaplaincy" section states "As a University with a Christian foundation, the work of the Chaplaincy is core to the life of the University." (https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/chaplaincy/chaplaincy.aspx).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Yeshua saves
As a Christian who is considering whether or not to study at Canterbury Christ Church University, I would like to know if Canterbury Christ Church University is a Christian university?

People of any religious faith can apply to Canterbury Christ Church - and 99% of them would be accepted - even atheists, imagine that
Thanks, what I was really asking about was about whether there is a faith aspect in the university and if so, in what way and how strong.

It doesn't surprise me that the university is open to students of any faith because as far as I understand it, higher education institutions in the UK except seminary et cetera are not allowed to discriminate students based on their religion (and I don't think the universities would receive that information at the time of the application anyway) - although to me, students with atheistic beliefs in university present a great opportunity to share the gospel with them, when and where appropriate :smile:

I would be interested to know if anyone has had any personal experience in the university and if you found there was a faith aspect?
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks, what I was really asking about was about whether there is a faith aspect in the university and if so, in what way and how strong.

I was not asking about whether not the university selected students based on their religion because as far as I understand it, higher education institutions in the UK except seminary et cetera are not allowed to discriminate students based on their religion (and I don't think the universities would receive that information at the time of the application anyway) - although to me, students with atheistic beliefs in university present a great opportunity to share the gospel with them, if appropriate :smile:

I would be interested if anyone knows approximately what percentage of staff at the school are Christian, as well as the percentage of Christian students in the university (just to prepare myself), and if anyone has had any personal experience in the university and if you found there was a faith aspect?

Ok, well to get more replies I would try posting this in the Canterbury Christ Church Uni sub forum also :smile:
Anyone has any information about whether Canterbury Christ Church University is a Christian university in theory and in practice?
students with atheistic beliefs in university present a great opportunity to share the gospel with them, if appropriate :smile:

Only if you want to be ridiculed for believing fantastic claims without credible evidence.

Select a university on its academic merits, not it's acceptance of fairy tales.

University should be about challenging, and improving, what and how you think. Surrounding yourself with like-minded people won't.
Original post by RogerOxon
Only if you want to be ridiculed for believing fantastic claims without credible evidence.

Select a university on its academic merits, not it's acceptance of fairy tales.

I believe that there is what can be considered to be historical evidence for the physical resurrection of Jesus Christ as well as prophecies being fulfilled in the Bible.

Anyway, my question is if anyone knows if whether Canterbury Christ Church University is a Christian university?
(edited 5 years ago)
I believe that there is what can be considered to be historical evidence for the physical resurrection of Jesus Christ as well as prophecies being fulfilled in the Bible.

Anyway, my question is if anyone knows if whether Canterbury Christ Church University is a Christian university?

You believe that you can find evidence for a claimed event from ~2000 years ago, but cannot find the answer to a question about a university now?

Do you want to go to a university that believes things based on indoctrination and not evidence?

Please seriously consider if this is what you should be looking for in a university. You will find Christians at most universities. University should be about experiencing more, not staying within your comfort zone.
(edited 5 years ago)

What exactly are you meaning by 'Christian university'? There will be happy-clappy preachy folk at most unis' Christian Unions/Societies.
You believe that you can find evidence for a claimed event from ~2000 years ago, but cannot find the answer to a question about a university now?

Do you want to go to a university that believes things based on indoctrination and not evidence?

https://biologos.org/blogs/guest/series/resurrection-answering-the-skeptics/
https://crossexamined.org/quick-case-jesus-resurrection/
https://billygraham.org/decision-magazine/march-2005/from-skepticism-to-belief/
https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/eight-reasons-why-i-believe-that-jesus-rose-from-the-dead
https://ses.edu/minimal-facts-on-the-resurrection-that-even-skeptics-accept/

As I am confident that the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is true, and since I consider the Bible to be the ultimate source of authority, in my opinion it would be ideal for university staff to hold Christian perspectives and for university subjects to be taught from a biblical perspective and at least not go against the Bible. Also, I believe that fellowship with other Christians is important, although I recognise that university is not the only place which may provide an opportunity to fellowship with other Christians (i.e. local churches may provide an opportunity to do so), which is part of the reason I would be interested to know if a large percentage of the students at the university are Christians.

I thought perhaps in a forum, some people may have had direct or indirect personal experience at the university, and may have insights into whether there is a faith aspect in the university.

The university's website states in its chaplaincy section that it has a "Christian foundation".
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Duncan2012
What exactly are you meaning by 'Christian university'? There will be happy-clappy preachy folk at most unis' Christian Unions/Societies.

I guess along the lines of if the staff are Christians and hold biblical viewpoints, if the university was founded as a Christian university or on a Christian premise, and/or if there are Christian chapel/worship services at the university
(edited 5 years ago)
Which subject are you intending to study (...) ?

I may possibly be interested in studying special educational needs and inclusion studies.
(edited 5 years ago)
Before the establishment became a university in 2005, the school was a training college for the church of England church schools, there are still strong ties to the Christian faith and there are many chances for fellowship, but the school is open to any faiths xx hope this helps

Original post by harrysbar
People of any religious faith can apply to Canterbury Christ Church - and 99% of them would be accepted - even atheists, imagine that
Original post by Popsypop
Before the establishment became a university in 2005, the school was a training college for the church of England church schools, there are still strong ties to the Christian faith and there are many chances for fellowship, but the school is open to any faiths xx hope this helps

Yes it helps, thank you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Just go to bible college then
Yes it helps, thank you.
As I am confident that the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is true, and since I consider the Bible to be the ultimate source of authority, in my opinion I believe it would be ideal for university staff to hold Christian perspectives and for university subjects to be taught from a biblical perspective and at least not go against the Bible.

Universities must teach based on evidence, not indoctrinated religious views. If they didn't, they wouldn't be worth attending.
Universities must teach based on evidence, not indoctrinated religious views. If they didn't, they wouldn't be worth attending.

I agree that universities should teach based on evidence, and I believe there is historical evidence for the Lord Jesus Christ's crucifixion, resurrection and ascension.

From my perspective, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is extremely important, and I believe one of the advantages of a Christian university that teaches according to the Bible is that it would hopefully acknowledge the truth and teach according to the truth.

However, I do think unfortunately there could be issues of poor role models (whether it is faculty or student peers) in both Christian and secular universities.

Personally, I have come to the conclusion based on research that it is possible that Canterbury Christ Church University may have a more Christian environment than in some other universities (I actually do not have much of an idea at all whether this is the case or not).
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending