The Student Room Group

Urgent Information: British Council ~ Exam Board

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your Eminence,

With all due respect and love I hope to find you well. I am a student of year 9, so I have seen that among several Exam Boards around the world, British Council in Bangladesh offer only Cambridge Assessment International Examination (CAIE) and Pearson Edexcel (Edexcel).

I have a aim to be in good or best University after IGCSE and Advanced Level is completed. So I want to know that from those two Exam Boards offered in Bangladesh for International Curriculum; which is the best and most suggested as well accepted around the most countries in the world best and good universities.

I have seen in my research that most good English Medium schools in Bangladesh offer CAIE, as well good teachers and students are in CAIE not in Edexcel.
I heard stories about Edexcel like for example; the Student have to give for re-check for their Exam Scripts as they are marked badly or no marks at all!

And even heard that Edexcel Exam Questions are not arranged properly, fall from the Sky in the Exam and not so much organized.

On the bright hand side, I heard that CAIE is well arranged a most students do well and in the Exam they find the Exam Question quite common and within the syllabus.

I also found out that CAIE is of Cambridge University and in countries like Singapore they want CAIE as GCE or something.

Thus, you all people are the best and most knowledge about the exam board. So I want to know about the best from you all!

Regards,
Kamrul Hassan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most international students I know do CIE. But I'm pretty sure both boards are considered equal by universities. If Edexcel exams are not properly arranged then that's a local issue which you should sort out by checking with the schools (and students studying there).
Hiya. If you're planning to apply to British universities nobody really cares about which exam board you choose. Maybe have a look at the specifications and pick accordingly. Don't overthink it markers are fine people.
Reply 3
Original post by esrever
Most international students I know do CIE. But I'm pretty sure both boards are considered equal by universities. If Edexcel exams are not properly arranged then that's a local issue which you should sort out by checking with the schools (and students studying there).

Well I asked the reason to people mostly Students who are senior than me, that why Edexcel Exam Scripts are not checked properly they said that
"All Exam papers are send to London and there mostly O level scripts are checked my students so that's why the scripts are not checked properly", I have seen with my own eyes that some exam papers of a particular subject, few questions are not checked, got all right but not full marks all kinds of nonsense stuffs.

And even I heard from my teachers complaining a lot about Edexcel whereas CAIE has good reputation.
Original post by zoae
Hiya. If you're planning to apply to British universities nobody really cares about which exam board you choose. Maybe have a look at the specifications and pick accordingly. Don't overthink it markers are fine people.

I get that, but for having the best resolution, a good wise choice Exam board should be chosen I think so that, the acceptance in getting into any university is well and honored. Don't you think?
Original post by Sparke11
I get that, but for having the best resolution, a good wise choice Exam board should be chosen I think so that, the acceptance in getting into any university is well and honored. Don't you think?

I'm not sure what you mean but, again, not a single British university cares. Boards such as Edexcel and CIE are extensively controlled to ensure students aren't disadvantaged for choosing one over the other. It is the qualifications and grades that matter, not the exam board. Distrust rumors.
Reply 5
Original post by zoae
I'm not sure what you mean but, again, not a single British university cares. Boards such as Edexcel and CIE are extensively controlled to ensure students aren't disadvantaged for choosing one over the other. It is the qualifications and grades that matter, not the exam board. Distrust rumors.

I meant that for getting good results on selected subjects a good exam board should be chosen so that you are prepared well and eventually get decent grades to get into a good University.
And I agree with you about the rumors, yet I want more suggestion from other people here on choosing the right one. For instance are CAIE and Edexcel joint venture exam board in UK and how they are same by neck to neck? There must be some different!
I meant that for getting good results on selected subjects a good exam board should be chosen so that you are prepared well and eventually get decent grades to get into a good University.
And I agree with you about the rumors, yet I want more suggestion from other people here on choosing the right one. For instance are CAIE and Edexcel joint venture exam board in UK and how they are same by neck to neck? There must be some different!

Yes, they are neck and neck. Good preparation and results come from studying and finding the best materials, exam boards just assess you.
Reply 7
Original post by zoae
Yes, they are neck and neck. Good preparation and results come from studying and finding the best materials, exam boards just assess you.

Well said! Can you suggest me ways in your way, how to get the best results if you don't mind actually.
Well said! Can you suggest me ways in your way, how to get the best results if you don't mind actually.

It depends on the subject. Revise all year round maybe try to find some spaced revision techniques that work for you. I found flashcards to be very useful for memorising things. Find past papers and do them all! Ultimately, the most important thing is enjoying what you are doing. You'll never succeed if you see learning as a chore so choose your subjects (especially at A-Level) wisely. Best of luck!
Reply 9
Original post by zoae
It depends on the subject. Revise all year round maybe try to find some spaced revision techniques that work for you. I found flashcards to be very useful for memorising things. Find past papers and do them all! Ultimately, the most important thing is enjoying what you are doing. You'll never succeed if you see learning as a chore so choose your subjects (especially at A-Level) wisely. Best of luck!

I am to study Engineering so what Subjects in your opinion should be taken at GCSE?
Is Cambridge Exam Board is of University of Cambridge ?
I am to study Engineering so what Subjects in your opinion should be taken at GCSE?

Well certainly triple science and maths. Pick humanities for well-roundedness. Yeah, I guess CIE is a subsidiary of the University of Cambridge. It's not more prestigious or anything, it's just an exam board.
Reply 11
Original post by zoae
Well certainly triple science and maths. Pick humanities for well-roundedness. Yeah, I guess CIE is a subsidiary of the University of Cambridge. It's not more prestigious or anything, it's just an exam board.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, well in your opinion should you suggest me to be in CIE or Edexcel? And why?
Reply 12
Should I assume that's all the support from only these people above to help and support my matter.
Reply 13
After a long thinking, I am chosen to be with CAIE. Now I want to you all to help me with my choice of Subjects.
I want to be in Science background, so I want at least 7 subjects so if more no problem for me.

And please explain me about Science Single and Double Award and which is the best.
As well there is now Maths International so if I take that do I need Add Maths?
Reply 14

Maths, the sciences, plus whatever else you want to study.

Yes, CIE is ultimately owned by Cambridge University but that doesn't mean Cambridge prefers it over Edexcel. All UK exam boards are equally regarded by UK universities.
Reply 15
After a long thinking, I am chosen to be with CAIE. Now I want to you all to help me with my choice of Subjects.
I want to be in Science background, so I want at least 7 subjects so if more no problem for me.

And please explain me about Science Single and Double Award and which is the best.

Which subjects are offered by your school?
Reply 16

If you take English language and get at least a grade 6, you won't have to do IELTS for UK universities.
Are you taking your GCSEs in Bangladesh or in England? The school you go to should choose the particular maths course for you. You won't need to take Additional Maths.

As for sciences, you should take each science separately (physics, chemistry and biology), so that'll count as 3 GCSEs. This will prepare you best for A-level sciences.
Reply 17
Original post by Doones
Which subjects are offered by your school?

From British Council for Cambridge IGCSE; these Subjects are offered in my Country:
1. Accounting
2. Additional Mathematics
3. Art and Design
4. Bangladesh Studies
5. Biology
6. Business Studies
7. Cambridge International Mathematics
8. Chemistry
9. Chinese as a Second Language
10. Combined Science
11. Computer Science
12. Co-Ord Sciences (Double Award)
13. Design and Technology
14. Drama
15. Economics
16. Enterprise
17. Environmental Management
18 English as a Second Language
19. First Language English
20. First Language French
21. First Language German
22. Geography
23. Global Perspectives
24. History
25. Information and Commutation
26. Islamiyat
27. Literature (English)
28. Mathematics (W/Out Coursework)
29. Pakistan Studies
30. Physical Education
31. Physics
32. Sociology
Reply 18
Original post by Doones
Maths, the sciences, plus whatever else you want to study.

Yes, CIE is ultimately owned by Cambridge University but that doesn't mean Cambridge prefers it over Edexcel. All UK exam boards are equally regarded by UK universities.

Original post by Sinnoh
If you take English language and get at least a grade 6, you won't have to do IELTS for UK universities.
Are you taking your GCSEs in Bangladesh or in England? The school you go to should choose the particular maths course for you. You won't need to take Additional Maths.

As for sciences, you should take each science separately (physics, chemistry and biology), so that'll count as 3 GCSEs. This will prepare you best for A-level sciences.

Yes I am taking Cambridge IGCESs in Bangladesh. And most nearly everyone tells me that Add Maths is necessary for studying Science and especially if you are going to Engineering.

In case of Cambridge IGCES there is Cambridge ICE. Where from Group 1 two languages and from Group 2, 3, 4 and 5 minimum 1 Subject is needed, is that right?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
From British Council for Cambridge IGCSE; these Subjects are offered in my Country:
1. Accounting
2. Additional Mathematics
3. Art and Design
4. Bangladesh Studies
5. Biology
6. Business Studies
7. Cambridge International Mathematics
8. Chemistry
9. Chinese as a Second Language
10. Combined Science
11. Computer Science
12. Co-Ord Sciences (Double Award)
13. Design and Technology
14. Drama
15. Economics
16. Enterprise
17. Environmental Management
18 English as a Second Language
19. First Language English
20. First Language French
21. First Language German
22. Geography
23. Global Perspectives
24. History
25. Information and Commutation
26. Islamiyat
27. Literature (English)
28. Mathematics (W/Out Coursework)
29. Pakistan Studies
30. Physical Education
31. Physics
32. Sociology

And which of those subjects are offered by your school?

Quick Reply

Latest