The Student Room Group

I will most likely be unable to take my A Level exams

Hello. I am a private candidate (mature applicant) living outside the UK. Two days ago, my local British Council informed me that they will not be delivering A Level exams this year (no reason stated). Unfortunately, the few schools that are also registered as exam centres in my country said that they do not accept private candidates.

I was panicking so I tried reaching out to exam centres in nearby countries. Only one (Japan) replied that they would have no problem accepting private candidates as long as they have space left (I assume this is available space after they are able to complete their own entries) but are unable to confirm any available space for private candidates right now. The examination officer said to reach out to her again by the end of January to check.

Assuming that there will be a space left for me to sit the A Level exams with them, unfortunately, I will not be able to afford to fly out of the country to take the exams because of the cost of accommodation (the exam centre is in the metro). I will most likely be able to afford everything else but that. I am feeling dejected because this would be my only shot to get into a good university due to extenuating family circumstances.

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.
Original post by howquaint
Hello. I am a private candidate (mature applicant) living outside the UK. Two days ago, my local British Council informed me that they will not be delivering A Level exams this year (no reason stated). Unfortunately, the few schools that are also registered as exam centres in my country said that they do not accept private candidates.

I was panicking so I tried reaching out to exam centres in nearby countries. Only one (Japan) replied that they would have no problem accepting private candidates as long as they have space left (I assume this is available space after they are able to complete their own entries) but are unable to confirm any available space for private candidates right now. The examination officer said to reach out to her again by the end of January to check.

Assuming that there will be a space left for me to sit the A Level exams with them, unfortunately, I will not be able to afford to fly out of the country to take the exams because of the cost of accommodation (the exam centre is in the metro). I will most likely be able to afford everything else but that. I am feeling dejected because this would be my only shot to get into a good university due to extenuating family circumstances.

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Which country are you based in and which exam boards are you studying under (ideally with the subjects you're trying to study)?

Kind of difficult to help if you without the above.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Which country are you based in and which exam boards are you studying under (ideally with the subjects you're trying to study)?

Kind of difficult to help if you without the above.

I am currently staying with a relative in the Philippines. I am preparing for maths, further maths, and economics under Edexcel.
I am currently staying with a relative in the Philippines. I am preparing for maths, further maths, and economics under Edexcel.

I'm a bit quizzical about doing maths and further maths with EdExcel, but that's just me.

According to EdExcel's list of international exam centres (those outside of the UK), there are 5 based in the Phillipines. See the following:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/understanding-our-qualifications/find-a-pearson-centre.html?Country=Philippines
Unfortunately, you would need to contact each exam centre to check whether you would be able to do your said exams. If you can't do it in the Phillipines, then you should be able to find one in a neighbouring country e.g. Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia. Japan is a bit far in your case.

I was wondering why you would need to fly out to another country in order to take your exams.
Reply 4
I'm a bit quizzical about doing maths and further maths with EdExcel, but that's just me.

I find that Edexcel has the most number of available resources online. I also prefer Edexcel's paper specifications.

I was wondering why you would need to fly out to another country in order to take your exams.

I'm sorry; I thought that I was clear in my first post. "Two days ago, my local British Council informed me that they will not be delivering A Level exams this year (no reason stated). Unfortunately, the few schools that are also registered as exam centres in my country said that they do not accept private candidates."
(edited 5 months ago)
I find that Edexcel has the most number of available resources online. I also prefer Edexcel's paper specifications.

I'm sorry; I thought that I was clear in my first post. "Two days ago, my local British Council informed me that they will not be delivering A Level exams this year (no reason stated). Unfortunately, the few schools that are also registered as exam centres in my country said that they do not accept private candidates."

Am I mistaken and that all of the centres for EdExcel A Level exams in the Phillipines are associated with the British Council?
I do apologise in stating there were 5 though; miscounted.

I went through each of the links for Phillipines, and the following are the results:

Southville Foreign University 632-8209181

German European School Manila +632 776 1000

The British School Manila (632) 8860 4800

Nord Anglia International School Manila +63 2 8519 57 99

I can't see evidence that say they are specifically associated with the British Council.

Since they are listed as approved exam centres, I was under the impression that they would accept private candidates (as it was implied on the website). If the exam officer at those establishments have explicitly stated that they don't accept external candidates, then I apologise for the above.
Reply 6
Am I mistaken and that all of the centres for EdExcel A Level exams in the Phillipines are associated with the British Council?
I do apologise in stating there were 5 though; miscounted.

I went through each of the links for Phillipines, and the following are the results:

Southville Foreign University 632-8209181

German European School Manila +632 776 1000

The British School Manila (632) 8860 4800

Nord Anglia International School Manila +63 2 8519 57 99

I can't see evidence that say they are specifically associated with the British Council.

Since they are listed as approved exam centres, I was under the impression that they would accept private candidates (as it was implied on the website). If the exam officer at those establishments have explicitly stated that they don't accept external candidates, then I apologise for the above.

No, you were correct that they are independent centres from the British Council.

I emailed the schools, and their respective examination officers said, "[...] we do not accept*private*candidates." I was also under the impression that they accept private candidates. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Quick Reply

Latest