The Student Room Group

What are the main themes in Macbeth?

what themes do you think are likely to come up on the GCSE exam? Keeping in mind that it won't be a "discrete" theme as it should accommodate both foundation and higher tiers x
Have you not covered this in your classes?
I've finished all my notes on themes and everything, I just want to make sure I didn't miss any themes out :smile:

Original post by That'sGreat
Have you not covered this in your classes?
Hey, so I plan on making my notes soon, if you don't mind could you give me a list of all main themes? I know supernatural, ambition, etc.. but I also want to make sure I have as many as possible.
Original post by peachystudy
I've finished all my notes on themes and everything, I just want to make sure I didn't miss any themes out :smile:
Original post by Random915
Hey, so I plan on making my notes soon, if you don't mind could you give me a list of all main themes? I know supernatural, ambition, etc.. but I also want to make sure I have as many as possible.

Appearance vs Reality
Ambition
Power
Guilt
Fate vs Freewill
Supernatural
Masculinity/ Femininity- Gender
Kingship vs Tyranny (not a major theme but you could look at it as a sub theme)

I can't think of anymore, hope this helped :smile:
Are you doing GCSEs this year?
yeahh:frown: and I've barely touched revision for some subjects.
Appearance vs Reality
Ambition
Power
Guilt
Fate vs Freewill
Supernatural

thank youuu!

Appearance vs Reality
Ambition
Power
Guilt
Fate vs Freewill
Supernatural

I feel like Ambition is a good bet. :yep:
Ahh same! Hopefully ambition comes up or appearance vs reality (although it's unlikely)
Original post by RazzzBerries
I feel like Ambition is a good bet. :yep:
female domination

UNSEX ME HERE
Original post by CHANEL&DIAMONDS
female domination

UNSEX ME HERE

Lmao it’s the only quote ik
Original post by RazzzBerries
Lmao it’s the only quote ik

thank god for that quote cos it made me get an A in my coursework for english lit. lady macbeth is one evil little bish
Original post by CHANEL&DIAMONDS
thank god for that quote cos it made me get an A in my coursework for english lit. lady macbeth is one evil little bish

LMAO
Lady M is a bawse :yep:
Ahh same! Hopefully ambition comes up or appearance vs reality (although it's unlikely)

what makes you think that? Isnt ambition too simple
Original post by jjjjxxx
what makes you think that? Isnt ambition too simple

The theme has to be broad, and be fair for both foundation and higher tier students. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't give us a narrow theme such as "tyranny"
im scared that im not gonna revise for one of the themes thinking it wont come up and then on the day, i open my exam, and see the question on the theme ouch- last year was withcraft and banquo or something like that right?
The theme has to be broad, and be fair for both foundation and higher tier students. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't give us a narrow theme such as "tyranny"
omg yes it was! I just looked back and I'm so shocked :frown:
i honestly think that this year is going to be a little easier but i still don't know..
i'm literally feeling so nervous now

Original post by jjjjxxx
im scared that im not gonna revise for one of the themes thinking it wont come up and then on the day, i open my exam, and see the question on the theme ouch- last year was withcraft and banquo or something like that right?
what themes do you think are likely to come up on the GCSE exam? Keeping in mind that it won't be a "discrete" theme as it should accommodate both foundation and higher tiers x

ambition, appearance vs reality, change of the macbeths, fate and free will, good and evil, kingship, order, chaos and the supernatural, trust and betrayal, violence and potentially power (did my GCSEs last summer and prepared all of these themes with the exception of power)
most high chances are macbeth and his fate/ambition
or the relationship between lm and m
or god vs evil
and for jekyll and hyde utterson or lanyon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending