The Student Room Group

ocr classical civilisation a level - world of the hero, greek theatre, late roman

hi! i just was hoping to gauge how we're all feeling for the exam on monday and the coming ones.. personally i feel unprepared and my teachers don't seem to know what to expect either. am hoping that it's not just them and it's just a result of a new spec this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Was honestly just looking for a thread about this. None of my classics teachers know what to expect nor what the grade boundaries will be so honestly I am a little worried about how they will mark and grade the papers. Hate being a guinea pig!
Original post by luckycharmer
hi! i just was hoping to gauge how we're all feeling for the exam on monday and the coming ones.. personally i feel unprepared and my teachers don't seem to know what to expect either. am hoping that it's not just them and it's just a result of a new spec this year?
Hopefully they'll take into account and lower grade boundaries but with Classics that seems unlikely :/
how prepared are we feeling on a scale from 1 to ten??
feeling like Dido at the end of book 4 ngl
Original post by Anavyssos<3
(edited 4 years ago)
buttt I'd say about a 6
Original post by Anavyssos<3
i'm completely the same!! my teachers are pretty unhelpful when i ask about it but honestly can't blame them as even the mark scheme looked unclear
Original post by ll51eah
Was honestly just looking for a thread about this. None of my classics teachers know what to expect nor what the grade boundaries will be so honestly I am a little worried about how they will mark and grade the papers. Hate being a guinea pig!
Sos I self-studied so want to cry haha. We don’t nee dto know loads of quotes do we. I’ve got mixed messages and have been trying to learn loads of quotes and critics quotes but I’m struggling. Also really worried about getting a question on specific techniques likes similes or speeches for this reason. Good luck everyone!!!
i'm completely the same!! my teachers are pretty unhelpful when i ask about it but honestly can't blame them as even the mark scheme looked unclear
Problem is while we only need scholar quotes for a 30 mark essay, of which there will only be one on one of the books at the end, we don't know what topics the essays will be on so we still need to learn quite a few quotes. If you put 3 or 4 in that 30 mark essay it should be just about enough if you have very specific book knowledge I think. So best thing to do if struggling is learn quotes that cover as many themes as possible and maybe even find quotes that cover both books. Ie if doing Iliad/Odyssey learn some ones that refer to Homer's writing rather than a specific book. Also technically possible to do fo Aeneid and Odyssey. (W.A.Camps in reference to both Iliad and Odyssey "direct speech animates the stories throughout")
Also!! doesn't have to be a specific quote- as long you remember the general idea you can paraphrase.

At the end of the day they can't really look up every single person so it may be possible to fudge a source name/idea slightly but maybe don't count on that. :smile:
Original post by Slothsrcool
Sos I self-studied so want to cry haha. We don’t nee dto know loads of quotes do we. I’ve got mixed messages and have been trying to learn loads of quotes and critics quotes but I’m struggling. Also really worried about getting a question on specific techniques likes similes or speeches for this reason. Good luck everyone!!!
Thank you for your reply. The struggle is real. I’ve tried to learn a load of quotes for different themes but who knows what will come up. Do we need to know loads of specific quotes from the texts because i’m finding hard to learn enoug similes and narrative descriptions/speeches for an essay? I feel like I still don’t remember my texts (odyssey/aeneid) well enough.
No I'm pretty sure a lot of quotes aren't necessary you just need the basic idea of the similes etc. If you feel you should try and find ones you find funny/odd because you're more likely to remember them. Also there's always a chance the ten mark passage questions will have passages that could count towards your 30 marker.
Original post by Slothsrcool
Thank you for your reply. The struggle is real. I’ve tried to learn a load of quotes for different themes but who knows what will come up. Do we need to know loads of specific quotes from the texts because i’m finding hard to learn enoug similes and narrative descriptions/speeches for an essay? I feel like I still don’t remember my texts (odyssey/aeneid) well enough.
my main problem at the moment is that the only questions we've seemed to do in class for the 30 marker (or even the 20s) are ones focused on a theme or a character and start with a simple statement like... "Within the Odyssey slaves cannot be trusted" or "Turnus is a character we cannot pity" etc but like... I'm trying to do practice plans today to cover my bases and one in the textbook is "It has been said that the Odyssey is the most influential story in western literature. To what extent does Homer's narrative technique engage the modern audience?" like. how do you even work with that
Reply 12
Our teacher has told us that quotes aren't necessary at all, not even scholars' quotes. Apparently we just need to be able to allude to certain parts or what critics have said. So basically if that's true that we do need direct quotes, rather pissed off...
Original post by inslupbanana
No I'm pretty sure a lot of quotes aren't necessary you just need the basic idea of the similes etc. If you feel you should try and find ones you find funny/odd because you're more likely to remember them. Also there's always a chance the ten mark passage questions will have passages that could count towards your 30 marker.
Reply 13
Antinous at the moment he knew he ****ed up ahaha
Original post by alanahdennis
feeling like Dido at the end of book 4 ngl
i don't think you do need exact quotes!! it probably would helpful to put one or two in to make you look like you know your stuff but this close i wouldn't worry about learning loads!! although at this point it might be more useful if you are going to learn some to learn some that can be applied to the text as a whole? that way you don't have to learn loads for specific arguments. kind of stuff like Griffin saying through oral poetry in the odyssey "many forms of artistry are unmistakably visible" or Williams saying that for Virgil, the "most important source for the Aeneid is the poetry of Homer"
Original post by lou-man
Our teacher has told us that quotes aren't necessary at all, not even scholars' quotes. Apparently we just need to be able to allude to certain parts or what critics have said. So basically if that's true that we do need direct quotes, rather pissed off...
I’m very worries. I’ve learnt a lot of quotes, but not those ones and I feel like I am totally unprepared. I really regret self-studying and am terrified of a specific question of techniques or speeches.
i don't think you do need exact quotes!! it probably would helpful to put one or two in to make you look like you know your stuff but this close i wouldn't worry about learning loads!! although at this point it might be more useful if you are going to learn some to learn some that can be applied to the text as a whole? that way you don't have to learn loads for specific arguments. kind of stuff like Griffin saying through oral poetry in the odyssey "many forms of artistry are unmistakably visible" or Williams saying that for Virgil, the "most important source for the Aeneid is the poetry of Homer"
Reply 16
Our teacher made us do the narrative technique question it was really odd, I just wrote about the use of flashback, similes, epithets, Odysseus as the bard and other literary things. I just hope they give us a nice 30 marker!
my main problem at the moment is that the only questions we've seemed to do in class for the 30 marker (or even the 20s) are ones focused on a theme or a character and start with a simple statement like... "Within the Odyssey slaves cannot be trusted" or "Turnus is a character we cannot pity" etc but like... I'm trying to do practice plans today to cover my bases and one in the textbook is "It has been said that the Odyssey is the most influential story in western literature. To what extent does Homer's narrative technique engage the modern audience?" like. how do you even work with that
Reply 17
For modern scholarship I've been told that you don't need direct quotes from the scholar, just their argument (even if you just know the theme they discuss, e.g. women, you can probably make something up about what exactly they said and get away with it). Plus, you can use things like podcasts and videos as modern scholarship- you will get credited if you bring in either of those as a source to back up your argument.
Seriously don't listen to them. If you read the mark schemes for the specimen paper to get into the top or middle marking band you have to have at least some quotes from book/quotes from scholars. Your teacher probably told you that because they haven't done the spec before and can't get their head around it. My teachers have told me different things, the younger ones seem to think we will die without scholarship and the older ones sort of don't understand it but even they agree that we need some quotes.

Original post by lou-man
Yeah exactly- doesn't have to be direct quotes you just need to know the idea of their argument and engage with it but a little quoting and some name-dropping wouldn't hurt.
Original post by celi18
For modern scholarship I've been told that you don't need direct quotes from the scholar, just their argument (even if you just know the theme they discuss, e.g. women, you can probably make something up about what exactly they said and get away with it). Plus, you can use things like podcasts and videos as modern scholarship- you will get credited if you bring in either of those as a source to back up your argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending