The Student Room Group

Its never to late

Hey everyone,

I am a mature student ( Aged 29) and am intrigued to hear other people's stories/career pathways.

Guess I will kick it off. Im Rebecca and I study Education, SEN and Mental Health at York St John University. I'm in my second year and hope to be an Educational Mental Health practitioner when I graduate next year.

Looking forward to hearing other people's stories/ chosen career pathway

Rebecca :smile:
Original post by Rebecca YSJ
Hey everyone,

I am a mature student ( Aged 29) and am intrigued to hear other people's stories/career pathways.

Guess I will kick it off. Im Rebecca and I study Education, SEN and Mental Health at York St John University. I'm in my second year and hope to be an Educational Mental Health practitioner when I graduate next year.

Looking forward to hearing other people's stories/ chosen career pathway

Hi Rebecca hope you are doing well, Mohammed here 3rd year computing student really excited yet nervous in graduating this autumn from Level 4 to Level 6 it’s been constant hard-work, head down focus and being able to have that can-do ability and confidence. I’m hoping to graduate with a 2:1 do I still have that belief I could do that honestly I don’t know :dontknow: having started the year working on a 2:1 I’ve found level 6 extremely challenging doesn’t help stress and anxiety, or especially the fact it’s a matter of waiting to know what I got overall before I establish whether I was a success or failure, The career I hope to go into is Software or Hardware Engineering before deserving and earning my role into Management.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Hi Rebecca hope you are doing well, Mohammed here 3rd year computing student really excited yet nervous in graduating this autumn from Level 4 to Level 6 it’s been constant hard-work, head down focus and being able to have that can-do ability and confidence. I’m hoping to graduate with a 2:1 do I still have that belief I could do that honestly I don’t know :dontknow: having started the year working on a 2:1 I’ve found level 6 extremely challenging doesn’t help stress and anxiety, or especially the fact it’s a matter of waiting to know what I got overall before I establish whether I was a success or failure, The career I hope to go into is Software or Hardware Engineering before deserving and earning my role into Management.

Hi Mohammed I am very well thanks hope you are too.

I hope you get the 2:1 you are hoping for! Just keep going and I'm sure you will. Software engineering sounds like a very interesting career especially now with advancements in technology

I wish you lots of luck :smile:
Original post by Rebecca YSJ
Hi Mohammed I am very well thanks hope you are too.

I hope you get the 2:1 you are hoping for! Just keep going and I'm sure you will. Software engineering sounds like a very interesting career especially now with advancements in technology

I wish you lots of luck :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Hi Rebecca,

I'm 39 and a part-time mature student at the Open University studying BA Hons Classical Studies.

My adventures in the world of higher education actually started at a brick university (the University of Leeds) many moons ago.
I studied 1 year of BA Hons French / TESOL there from 2004-2005.
I then took a year off, and then returned to Leeds in 2006 having changed course completely, and started afresh with BA Classical Civilisation.
I then took another year off, and returned to Leeds in 2008 and started the second year of the Class Civ course, but I dropped out after about 6 weeks.

Fast forward to 2021 and I transferred my credits from Class Civ at Leeds across to the OU, and I started at Level 2. As it's part time, Level 2 is taking two years, so I'm just coming to the end of it now, ready to start Level 3 this autumn.
I'll be graduating in 2025 at the age of 41. I'm hoping for a 1st, but I guess we'll see what the next two years bring.

My dream job would be museum curator, but that's a pie in the sky pipe dream, so more realistically I'll probably end up teaching GCSE and A Level Classical Civilisation & Ancient History courses online - aiming mostly at home educated students, but obviously open to tutoring anybody who wants tutoring in them really. I'll probably branch out and do KS2 and KS3 lessons in the world of ancient Greeks and Romans as well.
(edited 11 months ago)
Hi @PinkMobilePhone,

How are you finding the Open University? Classical studies sounds very interesting.

I hope you get the 1st you are hoping for. Also hoping for a 1st but we will see.

Reply 6
I was a mature, WP entrant back in 2010. I had failed most of my A Levels and had previously worked on a dock and as a concrete finisher.

I went back to read philosophy and after finding my first year a real struggle, cracked on to eventually graduate top of the cohort with a first class honours. I later completed a Master's in philosophy and graduated top of the cohort with distinction, and that was followed by an AHRC-funded doctoral award, from which I graduated in 2019 having completed an 86,000 word thesis and learnt two classical Indian languages. In 2020 I went to Oxford for a year to do a PGCE, and in 2021 I got an academic gig at a top ten University, where I remain.

My main work now is student support and especially WP/first gen work, alongside some nominal teaching and the research which I find myself half writing and never ever submitting :lol:

So yeah, it's never too late, and all things are possible with a bit of nous and grit and determination.
(edited 11 months ago)
Hi @gjd800

That's amazing thank you so much for sharing. You have done so well

I agree about the grit and determination with that anything is possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending