The Student Room Group

NHS Healthcare Assistant Literacy and Numeracy Test

Scroll to see replies

I have interviews for HCA but I applied for jobs that say 'permanent'. I am only looking to work for the summer (and other holiday breaks) before I go back to university. I had made this clear in my application but I don't want to turn up to an interview only for them to say 'oh we're looking for someone who wants a permanent contract'. Any advice would be much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 61
I have an interview next week for NHS doing an pre nurshing apprenticeship I have to have a math and English test but I have level 1 certificates will I have to do level 2 on the day or not at all cause I have certificates
I have a interview tomorrow for a health care assistant role. I haven't yet done a numeracy or literacy test. I see most people have completed these tests before an actual interview? So will I not have these test tomorrow?
Hie everyone
I have literacy n numeracy test on 25th if I get through then move on to interview phase
Really nervous cuz m not good in maths
Reply 64
I have done exam but I failed going back next week again to do exams again are they the same do I know also is anything online you can pratise the exams.
is there a way we can practice this literacy and numeracy test online for NHS?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by kirsty953
Hi,
Next week I've got a literacy and numeracy test for the post of Healthcare Assistant. Has anyone here taken it before? Is it hard? What sort of questions do they ask?
These may seem like silly questions but I'm quite nervous about it. I'm not entirely sure how far to go with revision.

I went for mine and failed.most of it is easy you get 25 question each maths/literacy you need to pass 19 on each to get through.
Hi there! Been reading yr posts and found them interesting reading. :smile:Could you tell me if you have to have experience to start as a HCA? Also do you need a HC qualification?I currently work in a school and have for the past 10 years but would really like to work in a hospital. I have my level 2 Literacy but only level 1 Maths. Thank you!Lisa
Hi everyone. I’ve been reading your posts and they make interesting reading :smile:
Could somebody please tell me if I need to have a qualification/ experience in a Hosp to apply for a HCA position?
Also I have Level 2 Literacy but only level 1 Maths, is this good enough?
I currently work in a school and have been the past 20 years but really want to work in a hospital.
Thank you
Lisa
Hello, Iv passed my interview but now they have asked me to do a numarcy test , I’m worried, has anyone done it is it hard? I’m rubbish at maths, what sort of questions do they ask? Thankyou
Original post by username1238344
It was alright. I passed and have an interview coming up in the next few weeks.
It started really easily with questions like '6 people are working, 3 don't turn up so how many are left?'
It got gradually harder and related maths with the medication, but they never got very hard. Questions like a child is allowed so many mg of paracetamol. You must give it 4 times a day, how much must be given in each dose. Something like that.

The literacy ones were even easier. Some were just correctly punctuating a sentence, others were just reading adverts and deciding which was best for the job.

You'll be fine. Don't worry!
Good Luck!

Thanks a lot this has helped me. I have had a look at a few of the sample papers that some universities offer to those preparing. They are mainly GCSE level for Maths and English. I had to revise a bit for the Maths doe because there were a few of the things that I had forgotten -- but I am basing it on a sample paper from a different source that I found this morning.
I hope that everything will occur perfectly fine. I am familiar with the practice because I used to live in the area of which it is located. Will keep updated!

Thanks again for this post.
So I have the numeracy and literacy tests next week, so nervous as already had my conditional offer letter for the job.I'm not worried about literacy but the numeracy, is it really hard?
Original post by Lyns_1983!
So I have the numeracy and literacy tests next week, so nervous as already had my conditional offer letter for the job.I'm not worried about literacy but the numeracy, is it really hard?

I just had a spontaneous literacy and numeracy test for an NHS job. I would compare it to foundation GCSE level. *touchwood* I hope it went alright.
Reply 73
Hi, I got interview tomorrow for Clinical Support Worker. Ill have to do English and Maths test. Anyone can give me advice on how the test will be??And on interview questions that will be asked??
Hi everyoneLike many of you, I too am having a maths and literacy test tomorrow morning. after the tests, I will then have an interview depending on how well I do in the assessments.I have been revising mainly on my maths as it's not good! I have also being meeting up with a maths tutor to help me actually understand what I need to do in terms of multiplying, dividing, subtracting and adding sums. I have also been doing some free online practice tests for HCA.The job role I have applied for is called a 'nursing assistant' but from what I have researched, this is pretty much the same as a HCA assistant role.After reading the email they sent me when they invited me in for an assessment, it stated that it is a 'situational judgement tests'. But when I followed the link in the email, it states band 2 and band 3 nursing assistants will undergo an assessment which will include a maths and literacy test.So I am a bit confused because situational judgement tests are maths, literacy, logical, personality and other tests all inclusive!However, my assessment is only 20 minutes long so I can only assume that it will just be the numeracy and literacy tests!although I have been revising and I have taken it upon myself to hire a maths tutor, I am still quite anxious that I won't pass enough. I read that some of you didn't even get to interview stage even though you only failed 2-5 questions! But some of you have passed even though you got 2-5 questions wrong! this has left me feeling uncertain about what they actually will expect of me.can someone please please give me some advice on the kids of questions they will ask? I have a fair idea but it would really help me if someone who has already been through what I am about to experience tomorrow morning so I can prepare myself a little more. Because its a 20 minute test, will that be say 10 questions on maths and 10 questions on English?I await to hear a response.thank you in advance x.
Reply 75
Hi all, My interview is coming up in next week for Apprentice HCA. They haven't mentioned anything about test in mail i receivd from them. They said interview is scheduled on so and so date. I am nervous i don't have any experience in Care. What kind of questions they gonna ask me? Please Please Need help
Reply 76
Original post by Iwanttothrive
Hi everyoneLike many of you, I too am having a maths and literacy test tomorrow morning. after the tests, I will then have an interview depending on how well I do in the assessments.I have been revising mainly on my maths as it's not good! I have also being meeting up with a maths tutor to help me actually understand what I need to do in terms of multiplying, dividing, subtracting and adding sums. I have also been doing some free online practice tests for HCA.The job role I have applied for is called a 'nursing assistant' but from what I have researched, this is pretty much the same as a HCA assistant role.After reading the email they sent me when they invited me in for an assessment, it stated that it is a 'situational judgement tests'. But when I followed the link in the email, it states band 2 and band 3 nursing assistants will undergo an assessment which will include a maths and literacy test.So I am a bit confused because situational judgement tests are maths, literacy, logical, personality and other tests all inclusive!However, my assessment is only 20 minutes long so I can only assume that it will just be the numeracy and literacy tests!although I have been revising and I have taken it upon myself to hire a maths tutor, I am still quite anxious that I won't pass enough. I read that some of you didn't even get to interview stage even though you only failed 2-5 questions! But some of you have passed even though you got 2-5 questions wrong! this has left me feeling uncertain about what they actually will expect of me.can someone please please give me some advice on the kids of questions they will ask? I have a fair idea but it would really help me if someone who has already been through what I am about to experience tomorrow morning so I can prepare myself a little more. Because its a 20 minute test, will that be say 10 questions on maths and 10 questions on English?I await to hear a response.thank you in advance x.

Hey,

Have you passed the taste? Or Interview? If you can help me with the procedure and questions??
Hi
I have the numeracy/literacy test this week. They have also added an IT, telephone and aptitude assessment. Has anyone done this? If yes, can you please let me know what sort of questions to expect? I’m quite nervous. Also, any advice for the interview would be appreciated.
Reply 78
Can you please let me know how your test went. What kind of question on maths and literacy. Example please
I used NHS Sn@p to practice for my nursing clinical numeracy exams, I think they have some numeracy and literacy questions for HCAs too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending