The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2024 - Applicants thread

Hopefully someone from the mod team will "sticky" this new thread for the 2024 application window. (tagged below for ease)

Looks like there are changes afoot for Fast Stream recruitment for 2024.
Looking at the website, there is no "Generalist" scheme anymore. Instead there is a Policy option along with an Operational Delivery option (Operational Delivery has limited locations though)

Other schemes appear to be the same.

The website confirms applications will open at noon on 12th October until noon on 9th November, so now is a good time to research the schemes you may want to apply for!

I've now finished my Fast Stream journey, but always happy to answer either general questions or those related to Project Delivery.

@Smack @shadowdweller @Sandtrooper @BenRyan99
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

@mjpd2019, thanks for tagging me, this threat is now stickied.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
@mjpd2019, thanks for tagging me, this threat is now stickied.

Thank you!
Reply 3
Thankyou for the thread. People who have applied before or have more information. Which scheme do you think is best for someone who has got a mathematics degree.
Reply 4
Thanks for starting the thread! How old do you think is too old to apply to the Civil Service Fast Stream? I graduated in 2020 and am now 25, but I’ve been interested in applying for a while…
Reply 5
Original post by Shibaken
Thanks for starting the thread! How old do you think is too old to apply to the Civil Service Fast Stream? I graduated in 2020 and am now 25, but I’ve been interested in applying for a while…

In my cohort there were fast streamers in their 40’s. I’d guess only about. 50% are direct from uni. The rest are either mature / 2nd jobbers / done other grad schemes etc.
Reply 6
Original post by mjpd2019
In my cohort there were fast streamers in their 40’s. I’d guess only about. 50% are direct from uni. The rest are either mature / 2nd jobbers / done other grad schemes etc.

Thanks for replying, that’s interesting! I guess I’ll give it a shot then 😊
Definitley reccomend signing up for a free 1:1 mentor through https://connectverse.uk/
Submitted and finished my assessments. So far: Better than the majority in maths. Let's see how I did in the other things this time!
Reply 9
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Submitted and finished my assessments. So far: Better than the majority in maths. Let's see how I did in the other things this time!

How long after submitting your application did you get invited to the assessments?
I applied at noon exactly and was assessed within minutes.
Apparently EDIP is not happening this year? It was the only programme offered to first year undergrads. Anyone know if there are any alternatives?
Original post by Hungryhippo15
Apparently EDIP is not happening this year? It was the only programme offered to first year undergrads. Anyone know if there are any alternatives?

Not in the government, but there are a ton of summer programmes you can get as long as you have a degree they're looking for that isn't something like Graphic Design or Media Studies.
(edited 6 months ago)
Not in the government, but there are a ton of summer programmes you can get as long as you have a degree they're looking for that isn't something like Graphic Design or Media Studies.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah i’ve been looking for a few. Hoping to get a summer internship anywhere to be honest.

Its a shame that EDIP isn’t open as now SDIP will be more competitive. Do you know of any summer programmes that will help me in joining the fast stream specifically?
Original post by Hungryhippo15
Thanks for your reply. Yeah i’ve been looking for a few. Hoping to get a summer internship anywhere to be honest.

Its a shame that EDIP isn’t open as now SDIP will be more competitive. Do you know of any summer programmes that will help me in joining the fast stream specifically?

I'm a Data guy. I can't really be of big help for summer programmes. I looked at the schemes that traditionally had the highest and lowest responses, applied for those that had approaching 10% success rates, got really good on 2/3 of my assessments and didn't on 1 assessment. This is just me retaking the Fast Stream, so I know what doesn't work. :wink:
Original post by mjpd2019
Hopefully someone from the mod team will "sticky" this new thread for the 2024 application window. (tagged below for ease)

Looks like there are changes afoot for Fast Stream recruitment for 2024.
Looking at the website, there is no "Generalist" scheme anymore. Instead there is a Policy option along with an Operational Delivery option (Operational Delivery has limited locations though)

Other schemes appear to be the same.

The website confirms applications will open at noon on 12th October until noon on 9th November, so now is a good time to research the schemes you may want to apply for!

I've now finished my Fast Stream journey, but always happy to answer either general questions or those related to Project Delivery.

@Smack @shadowdweller @Sandtrooper @BenRyan99

So if I recall correctly, I got feedback on the tests almost immediately after taking them. I've gotten my mathematical feedback, which is 'Higher than the majority'. Do you know how long it takes to get feedback on the other tests?
So if I recall correctly, I got feedback on the tests almost immediately after taking them. I've gotten my mathematical feedback, which is 'Higher than the majority'. Do you know how long it takes to get feedback on the other tests?

I'm in the same boat. I'm guessing that because only a relatively small proportion of online assessments will have been completed within the first six hours, they don't yet have enough data to meaningfully compare your results against the cohort's. On the numerical test, if you got all or almost all the answers correct, they can probably say that you did better than average with reasonable confidence, regardless of the sample size. That's my assumption, based on the fact that feedback was almost immediate last year, but I could well be wrong.
What are everyone's top choices?
Original post by FriedFish
What are everyone's top choices?

Government Policy STEM

Government Operational Research Service

Operational Delivery STEM

Government Social Research Service

What did you go for? I chose the STEM ones because there are generally fewer of them applying.
Government Policy STEM

Government Operational Research Service

Operational Delivery STEM

Government Social Research Service

What did you go for? I chose the STEM ones because there are generally fewer of them applying.

Strong choices.

If I'm not mistaken, there is no distinction between Government Policy STEM and Government Policy, nor Operational Delivery STEM and Operational Delivery, as far as the recruitment process goes. The website seems to indicate that they list them separately only for data monitoring purposes, to see what proportion of those recruited onto the two schemes have STEM degrees. As such, I'm not sure that it holds that those two schemes represent a recruitment advantage on the basis of fewer candidates.

The Operational Research and Social Research schemes do have the advantage of sifting candidates by requiring degrees/professional experience in particular disciplines, but whether that makes them less competitive depends on the actual number of vacancies, as this varies between schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending