The Student Room Group

Veterinary work experience

Hello everyone! I'm starting my work experience at the vet on Monday and was wondering if any of you guys had any advice or ideas of questions that I could ask the staff there? I've really been looking forward to it and am keen to make the most out of the experience!!
Thanks x
How did u get offered work experience there?
Just ask about what you see. In the prep room ask about the way they are setting up for surgery, what anaesthetic/premed they’re using and why, why the animal is in for that surgery. When you look at the kennels ask about each animal- how long they’ve been there and why. Sometimes you get something really interesting pop up that you wouldn’t otherwise know about because they’ve already had their surgery. While watching surgery try and gauge the room, during difficult surgeries the vets will want to concentrate so hold your questions but if the nurses and vets are all chatting then you can probably ask (some vets will tell you you can ask questions). If in doubt, wait until they’re closing up as this is routine so the vet will probably be less stressed by this point.

With the vets in the lunch room (if they seem nice and won’t mind you chatting) ask what vet school they went to, that normally starts a conversation and then you can be an annoying work experience student and pick their brain about everything you’ve seen. Trust me, by the end of it you’ll have more questions than you’ll know what to do with!

If you're watching consults offer to wipe the table down (they love that!). Also at the end of each consult ask a question, don’t ask while the client is still there. If there’s been a particularly stressful consult ask the vet about how they approach communicating with an emotional client (angry or sad) - different vets have very different approaches.

One thing I’d definitely recommend is asking to look at x-rays and ultrasounds if you’ve watched them being done. You probably won’t have been able to tell exactly what’s going on, so ask someone if you can look during lunch or a lull (normally there’s some dull bits here and there where the staff are doing admin and you’re just sort of standing around). If you’re lucky a vet might talk you through what’s going on, otherwise look up 'normal dog x ray of the thorax' or 'normal ultrasound of the kidney'. Of course ultrasound is much harder to interpret but even just trying to figure out things like the bladder (looks like a big black circle) can go a long way to cementing what different densities are meant to look like on there.

If the practice has a small lab, take the opportunity if it arises to spend some time in there. Simple things like packed cell volume and staining histology samples are easy to understand, great to talk about at interview, and the vet/vet nurse can easily explain them to you while they’re doing the samples.

Hope this makes sense and I didn’t ramble on too much!
Original post by z.ainab
Hello everyone! I'm starting my work experience at the vet on Monday and was wondering if any of you guys had any advice or ideas of questions that I could ask the staff there? I've really been looking forward to it and am keen to make the most out of the experience!!
Thanks x
Reply 3
I sent in an email expressing my interest and requesting work experience and they just sent one back arranging dates etc
Reply 4
Original post by stimtothesky
Just ask about what you see. In the prep room ask about the way they are setting up for surgery, what anaesthetic/premed they’re using and why, why the animal is in for that surgery. When you look at the kennels ask about each animal- how long they’ve been there and why. Sometimes you get something really interesting pop up that you wouldn’t otherwise know about because they’ve already had their surgery. While watching surgery try and gauge the room, during difficult surgeries the vets will want to concentrate so hold your questions but if the nurses and vets are all chatting then you can probably ask (some vets will tell you you can ask questions). If in doubt, wait until they’re closing up as this is routine so the vet will probably be less stressed by this point.

With the vets in the lunch room (if they seem nice and won’t mind you chatting) ask what vet school they went to, that normally starts a conversation and then you can be an annoying work experience student and pick their brain about everything you’ve seen. Trust me, by the end of it you’ll have more questions than you’ll know what to do with!

If you're watching consults offer to wipe the table down (they love that!). Also at the end of each consult ask a question, don’t ask while the client is still there. If there’s been a particularly stressful consult ask the vet about how they approach communicating with an emotional client (angry or sad) - different vets have very different approaches.

One thing I’d definitely recommend is asking to look at x-rays and ultrasounds if you’ve watched them being done. You probably won’t have been able to tell exactly what’s going on, so ask someone if you can look during lunch or a lull (normally there’s some dull bits here and there where the staff are doing admin and you’re just sort of standing around). If you’re lucky a vet might talk you through what’s going on, otherwise look up 'normal dog x ray of the thorax' or 'normal ultrasound of the kidney'. Of course ultrasound is much harder to interpret but even just trying to figure out things like the bladder (looks like a big black circle) can go a long way to cementing what different densities are meant to look like on there.

If the practice has a small lab, take the opportunity if it arises to spend some time in there. Simple things like packed cell volume and staining histology samples are easy to understand, great to talk about at interview, and the vet/vet nurse can easily explain them to you while they’re doing the samples.

Hope this makes sense and I didn’t ramble on too much!

Hi, thank you SO much for all the advice - I’ll be sure to bear it in mind during my placement next week! I’ve met the staff already and they all seem lovely, including the surgeon.
Are you studying veterinary sciences? If so, at what stage of your education are you currently in??
Reply 5
Original post by Flower2617
How did u get offered work experience there?

I sent in an email expressing my interest and requesting work experience and they just sent one back arranging dates etc
Hi, I’m currently in year 13 doing my A levels. I’ve got a place to do vet med at Edinburgh next year so if I get my grades then I’ll be starting 1st year in September. What stage are you at?
Original post by z.ainab
Hi, thank you SO much for all the advice - I’ll be sure to bear it in mind during my placement next week! I’ve met the staff already and they all seem lovely, including the surgeon.
Are you studying veterinary sciences? If so, at what stage of your education are you currently in??
Reply 7
Original post by stimtothesky
Hi, I’m currently in year 13 doing my A levels. I’ve got a place to do vet med at Edinburgh next year so if I get my grades then I’ll be starting 1st year in September. What stage are you at?

I’m in year 12 at the moment, hoping to apply for vet med in the next couple of months. Really hope I get an offer 🤞🏻 because this is something I’ve wanted to do my entire life! I’m just praying I get the grades I need now from my AS exams!!
Original post by z.ainab
I’m in year 12 at the moment, hoping to apply for vet med in the next couple of months. Really hope I get an offer 🤞🏻 because this is something I’ve wanted to do my entire life! I’m just praying I get the grades I need now from my AS exams!!

Good luck with AS! If you want any application advice just lmk, I applied to and got offers from Edinburgh, Cambridge, Nottingham and Liverpool so if you’re applying to any of those or have general questions I’m happy to help :smile:
Show enthusiasm! Vets and nurses are very busy but they will make an effort if you are seen to be doing the same - whether that is actively observing/listening or making tea/cleaning everything is appreciated.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - everyone within the practice was at your stage at some point and so long as it isn't an inappropriate time (infront of clients, in an emergency etc) they will not have a problem answering them. Once you get a feel for the practice there may be some hobs such as changing water, mopping, laundry etc that you can just get on with everyday - this will show very favourably

Some practices can be cliquey but stick at it, even if one is off putting it does not mean they are all that way
Hi all, I am applying to a veterinary practice for work experience and I’m wondering if any of you have any advice or tips on what to say/include and how to start it? Thanks
Original post by alexandria51201
Hi all, I am applying to a veterinary practice for work experience and I’m wondering if any of you have any advice or tips on what to say/include and how to start it? Thanks

By phone or in person - at pre-university level practices get far too many requests for work experience, you can connect far more directly in person or atleast over the phone than an email to be ignored.
Hi, I'm in a similar situation to you and was just wondering how much work experience you've achieved so far / got planned/
Original post by z.ainab

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending