The Student Room Group

Thinking about switching from veterinary medicine to acturial science/maths

I am currently in Year 13 and applying to veterinary medicine (deadline is October 16th 2023). Originally I was completely set on becoming a vet however my passion led me to reading into the negative side of veterinary, about the suicide rate, lack of reward for working hours and the amount of people leaving the field.

Ultimately this has discouraged my drive to become a vet and I have been looking at other career options in veterinary. Problem being I have already written an EPQ (about a veterinary topic), chosen my a level subjects and written my personal statement in line with becoming a vet.

However, I have always had an 'on the side' interest in finance, due to my brother and uncle working in accountancy and the rest of my family being somewhere in the financial sector. Because of this I have been looking a lot at an actuarial science, mathematics or financial mathematics degree instead.

I was wondering, because I have already tailored my application to become a vet, what would be the best way to go about this, if I really wanted to change?

I assume I'd have to speak to my parents and teachers first but considering the deadline application for actuarial science is on the 31st of January I would have plenty of time to sit my next season of mocks and raise my grades before I apply (particularly maths).

I was wondering about the possibility of still applying to veterinary with four of my options and then applying to actuarial science for my 5th option as this cannot be related to veterinary. However, I doubt I would have any chance of being accepted as my personal statement is completely tailored to veterinary.

I was looking for a little advice or guidance, sorry if its confusing. None of my family have been to university for the last 30+ years so they aren't much help, they've all gone down the route of degree apprenticeships and that's not really something I'm interested in.

Original post by Jieay20
I am currently in Year 13 and applying to veterinary medicine (deadline is October 16th 2023). Originally I was completely set on becoming a vet however my passion led me to reading into the negative side of veterinary, about the suicide rate, lack of reward for working hours and the amount of people leaving the field.

Ultimately this has discouraged my drive to become a vet and I have been looking at other career options in veterinary. Problem being I have already written an EPQ (about a veterinary topic), chosen my a level subjects and written my personal statement in line with becoming a vet.

However, I have always had an 'on the side' interest in finance, due to my brother and uncle working in accountancy and the rest of my family being somewhere in the financial sector. Because of this I have been looking a lot at an actuarial science, mathematics or financial mathematics degree instead.

I was wondering, because I have already tailored my application to become a vet, what would be the best way to go about this, if I really wanted to change?

I assume I'd have to speak to my parents and teachers first but considering the deadline application for actuarial science is on the 31st of January I would have plenty of time to sit my next season of mocks and raise my grades before I apply (particularly maths).

I was wondering about the possibility of still applying to veterinary with four of my options and then applying to actuarial science for my 5th option as this cannot be related to veterinary. However, I doubt I would have any chance of being accepted as my personal statement is completely tailored to veterinary.

I was looking for a little advice or guidance, sorry if its confusing. None of my family have been to university for the last 30+ years so they aren't much help, they've all gone down the route of degree apprenticeships and that's not really something I'm interested in.

Have you already applied? If not, you can rewrite your personal statement to appeal to your new courses - you have plenty of time. Many of the useful skills you learnt on your veterinary work experience I'm sure could be used to apply to maths. Your EPQ still required problem solving for example: get creative!

I'm sorry that you decided veterinary wasn't for you. Although, unlike many people you managed to realise this early, before studying the entire degree. I'm glad for you that you can now explore other options. Veterinary medicine will always be here should you decide to change your mind.

If any part of you at all is unsure still, please delay your application. It is better to choose properly the first time, and if you pick a degree just to start uni at the same time as your friends you might end up regretting it. Studying a second degree later on is unfunded by student finance, so it can get expensive for you. Try and have a think about what you really want in life.

Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending