The Student Room Group

Veterinary accelerated course

Hi has anyone experience of the 4 year veterinary accelerated course at Bristol or RVC? I am looking to re apply this year - and need help to strengthen my application from someone who’s done it before. Also wondering about work experience. Trying to fit a placement around Children and a job! Any advice appreciated!
I haven't done the accelerated route, but I'm a mature student at Nottingham. I think I can help as the application process for both 4 and 5 year courses is similar.

To apply to RVC you'll need a minimum of two weeks work experience in a veterinary clinic, and another two weeks in an animal-based workplace (farm, grooming parlour, animal sanctuary etc). Bristol has no work experience requirements (last I checked) but it's still basically essential because you're competing against hundreds/thousands of students who will have work experience.
The more work experience you have done, the more competitive your application will be (as long as you're actually learning from it!), however, as a mature applicant you could instead use your previous career and life experience to explain why you would be a good fit, instead. You will still need to meet minimum requirements, however.

Your goal throughout preparing your application, should be to prove that you understand what a role of a vet actually is, and therefore what characteristics you have that make you good for this role. Your work experience and research should therefore educate you on what a vet actually does, as well as what personality traits that enable vets to succeed in their role.

When I applied, I used these stickied threads as inspiration on how to build a competitive application: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7013645
There are also useful lists of current issues in veterinary medicine here - things you will want to research to prove you understand the profession well.

Bear in mind that when you do get to vet school you will need to attend 9-5 classes Monday to Friday, and outside of term time you will have to complete 38 weeks of placements during summer, Easter and Christmas holidays.

If there are any specific questions you have, let us know. Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending