The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi, I'm also going to be applying to graduate entry medicine for 2021 entry. I am currently studying pharmacy.
Original post by RR5
Hi, I'm also going to be applying to graduate entry medicine for 2021 entry. I am currently studying pharmacy.

Hello! Welcome! Where are you looking at applying?
Reply 42
Original post by georgialharper
Hello! Welcome! Where are you looking at applying?

Hi. Thank you. I am looking to apply to Warwick, King's, Nottingham and Queen Mary. But my choices might change depending on my UCAT score. Also, can you apply to 5 universities for graduate entry medicine or just 4.
Original post by RR5
Hi. Thank you. I am looking to apply to Warwick, King's, Nottingham and Queen Mary. But my choices might change depending on my UCAT score. Also, can you apply to 5 universities for graduate entry medicine or just 4.

I think mine may change too based on how well my UKCAT and GAMSAT go! As far as I know just like UG Medicine you have 4 choices for graduate entry medicine but may be able to add a standard course too?
Reply 44
I think mine may change too based on how well my UKCAT and GAMSAT go! As far as I know just like UG Medicine you have 4 choices for graduate entry medicine but may be able to add a standard course too?

I think with the UCAT exam there is a lot books and websites to study from but for GAMSAT I wasn't able to find any good resources online. Oh okay.
What sort of work experience have you done/ or going to do? I know for Warwick university they look closely at your work experience, and I want to be able to show that I have done a range of work experience. I am trying to do all the work experience from now till when I submit my application.
Original post by RR5
I think with the UCAT exam there is a lot books and websites to study from but for GAMSAT I wasn't able to find any good resources online. Oh okay.
What sort of work experience have you done/ or going to do? I know for Warwick university they look closely at your work experience, and I want to be able to show that I have done a range of work experience. I am trying to do all the work experience from now till when I submit my application.

Yeah, UCAT there’s loads but not so much for gamsat, at least you can find the topics or suggestions of revision online and do those (that’s what I’m planning!)
I’ve shadowed an orthopaedic surgeon and I’m hoping to get back in with him another time of the year, I’m working with a physio for two weeks, and I’m working as a porter (paid) in my local hospital. On top of that I’m applying to volunteer at a local brain injury charity and the emergency department of the hospital, a homeless shelter, and potentially on the ‘SOS Bus’ which goes out in my local town every weekend to make sure the partying people are all good! How about you?
Reply 46
Yeah, UCAT there’s loads but not so much for gamsat, at least you can find the topics or suggestions of revision online and do those (that’s what I’m planning!)
I’ve shadowed an orthopaedic surgeon and I’m hoping to get back in with him another time of the year, I’m working with a physio for two weeks, and I’m working as a porter (paid) in my local hospital. On top of that I’m applying to volunteer at a local brain injury charity and the emergency department of the hospital, a homeless shelter, and potentially on the ‘SOS Bus’ which goes out in my local town every weekend to make sure the partying people are all good! How about you?

Thank you, I'm going to look into that. Your going to gain a lot of experience, that's really good. You are going to be able to talk about all of your experience in your personal statement which will show that you have a true passion for medicine. I have only thought about applying to graduate entry medicine recently( 2 months ago) so I started looking into the course and researching about the universities and talking to people who are currently studying medicine. At the moment I am going to start by asking at care homes if I can volunteer there for a few hours a week. I am trying to get work experience at hospitals in different specialities as well, but no one has replied back to me so I might go in and ask. I know I need to do more work experience so I might look into what else I can do as well. How did you manage to get work experiences at hospitals and the emergency department. I know that Warwick University admissions have a specific requirement for work experience that has to be undertaken for an individual to apply there.
Original post by RR5
Thank you, I'm going to look into that. Your going to gain a lot of experience, that's really good. You are going to be able to talk about all of your experience in your personal statement which will show that you have a true passion for medicine. I have only thought about applying to graduate entry medicine recently( 2 months ago) so I started looking into the course and researching about the universities and talking to people who are currently studying medicine. At the moment I am going to start by asking at care homes if I can volunteer there for a few hours a week. I am trying to get work experience at hospitals in different specialities as well, but no one has replied back to me so I might go in and ask. I know I need to do more work experience so I might look into what else I can do as well. How did you manage to get work experiences at hospitals and the emergency department. I know that Warwick University admissions have a specific requirement for work experience that has to be undertaken for an individual to apply there.

Hi! Although it’s been in the back of my mind as an option for nearly a decade, I’ve only recently (last month or so) taken it seriously as something I may actually be able to do! It’s always been self confidence that’s knocked me, but if you never try you never know!
I actually know an orthopaedic surgeon personally, so I’ve been lucky enough to go and work with him! Yeah, it depends though, if you aren’t able to get hospital experience, I think a lot of universities are quite understanding about the fact it’s quite hard to get into! I found my emergency care volunteer role (still waiting to hear back) by googling ‘hospital volunteers near me’ and seeing what came up!
Although, cause we’re starting so early it means that we can really get to grips with things like where we want to apply, entrance exams etc!
Reply 48
Original post by RR5
Same, it has been in my mind too but I have always thought that I wasn't going to get in so I never even tried applying for it in sixth form. I always thought if I applied for it in sixth form then i'll never getting any offers, so I did a degree that I thought I will be good at. But 2 months ago, after reading online about other students who have applied to graduate entry medicine and emailing universities about the course, I have gained confidence in applying but even know I'm still doubting myself if I am good enough for medicine. Thank you, i'll try seeing if there is any volunteering opportunity locally for me.

Same, it has been in my mind too but I have always thought that I wasn't going to get in so I never even tried applying for it in sixth form. I always thought if I applied for it in sixth form then i'll never getting any offers, so I did a degree that I thought I will be good at. But 2 months ago, after reading online about other students who have applied to graduate entry medicine and emailing universities about the course, I have gained confidence in applying but even know I'm still doubting myself if I am good enough for medicine. Thank you, i'll try seeing if there is any volunteering opportunity locally for me.
Original post by RR5

I would say there's no point in doubting yourself cause you've made the decision its your passion, so focus on making it your reality!
Reply 50
I was thinking about going to the one in October too if my timetable allows it, so I might see you there
Original post by geran
I was thinking about going to the one in October too if my timetable allows it, so I might see you there

Fab!
Reply 52
Original post by Ginabpk10
Thank you, that means a lot :smile: you're so much braver than I am, I couldn't even cope doing the GAMSAT once lol! It's a hideous exam. Hopefully now you'll be able to learn from your mistakes and see where you went wrong. Thats what I'm hoping to do with the UCAT. I'm taking it in August as a trial/practice run for next year, so if i do really bad this time, I'm hoping I can learn from it for when it really matters :smile: wishing you the absolute best of luck in your revision and for when you sit it. Keep us updated! :smile:

Thank you, I know this is such a stressful time for everyone. I did the UKcat twice too, didn't do well, I understand the Gamsat much better even though it is a much more intense exam. I
have a degree in bio medicine and am just finishing my Master's. I had an accident whilst doing my degree and passed with a 2:2, I was well above average before the accident, I had a foots injury and have had to work extra hard.

I haven't given up.

I have my gamsat exam on the 11th September 2019 and my UKcat on the 2nd October 2019. I haven't done any preparation for the UKcat at all my main focus is the Gamsat and finishing my master's.
I'm currently volunteering, working with children with disabilities hoping to get further experience once the gamsat is over.

Been though a lot and my destination still seems so far away but I won't give up with giving it my all.
Reply 53
Original post by Rari
Thank you, I know this is such a stressful time for everyone. I did the UKcat twice too, didn't do well, I understand the Gamsat much better even though it is a much more intense exam. I
have a degree in bio medicine and am just finishing my Master's. I had an accident whilst doing my degree and passed with a 2:2, I was well above average before the accident, I had a foots injury and have had to work extra hard.

I haven't given up.

I have my gamsat exam on the 11th September 2019 and my UKcat on the 2nd October 2019. I haven't done any preparation for the UKcat at all my main focus is the Gamsat and finishing my master's.
I'm currently volunteering, working with children with disabilities hoping to get further experience once the gamsat is over.

Been though a lot and my destination still seems so far away but I won't give up with giving it my all.

Good luck for your exams. I hope you do really well and get into medicine. How are you preparing for GAMSAT exam?
Reply 54
Original post by RR5
Good luck for your exams. I hope you do really well and get into medicine. How are you preparing for GAMSAT exam?

Hi RR5, thank you, I hope I do too.
Are you taking the exam this year for the 2020 entry? Like me
I purchased alot of materials when I took the exam the first time 2018 September. I'll be honest the first time I took the exam I didn't know what I was doing, I just purchased what others advised me to. I didn't add anything different in March 2019 I used the same materials and didn't do much practicing as I was studying but my score increased in section 2 and section 3. This time my mum researched and helped me purchase some practice papers and a strategy guide.

Everyday I try to do one essay, some humanities questions and also science as well as uni work. I love reading so that benefits me with timing.

I did the Acer practice paper online July and I got 65/68 70-80 percentile. I will do the second paper either this weekend or end of August to see if I have improved.

When I have more time after the exam I can give you a list of the materials I purchased and how I rate them if that's helpful for you!
If it's helpful I can give you my results each time I did the exam.

Even though this time Im doing more, I always struggle with taking exams on the day. I'm just hoping this time I make it.

What I will recommend is that do the exam as a practice run if you can afford it, it gives you and insight to what you are facing the exam is not easy specially science S3 even if you have a science background.
Reply 55
Original post by Rari
Hi RR5, thank you, I hope I do too.
Are you taking the exam this year for the 2020 entry? Like me
I purchased alot of materials when I took the exam the first time 2018 September. I'll be honest the first time I took the exam I didn't know what I was doing, I just purchased what others advised me to. I didn't add anything different in March 2019 I used the same materials and didn't do much practicing as I was studying but my score increased in section 2 and section 3. This time my mum researched and helped me purchase some practice papers and a strategy guide.

Everyday I try to do one essay, some humanities questions and also science as well as uni work. I love reading so that benefits me with timing.

I did the Acer practice paper online July and I got 65/68 70-80 percentile. I will do the second paper either this weekend or end of August to see if I have improved.

When I have more time after the exam I can give you a list of the materials I purchased and how I rate them if that's helpful for you!
If it's helpful I can give you my results each time I did the exam.

Even though this time Im doing more, I always struggle with taking exams on the day. I'm just hoping this time I make it.

What I will recommend is that do the exam as a practice run if you can afford it, it gives you and insight to what you are facing the exam is not easy specially science S3 even if you have a science background.

Hi Rari
I am going to be taking the exam next for 2021 entry. I want to practice for the exam over the summer next year but I want to find the resources for the exam this year so I am not looking for them next year when I am supposed to be studying for them. Thank you so much. It will be a massive help if you can give me a list of the resources you used after your exam.:smile: Good luck for you exam. Stay in touch and give updates on your application, your help will be very useful because I am going to be applying next year and I only came to a decision about studying graduate entry medicine recently.
Reply 56
Original post by RR5
Hi Rari
I am going to be taking the exam next for 2021 entry. I want to practice for the exam over the summer next year but I want to find the resources for the exam this year so I am not looking for them next year when I am supposed to be studying for them. Thank you so much. It will be a massive help if you can give me a list of the resources you used after your exam.:smile: Good luck for you exam. Stay in touch and give updates on your application, your help will be very useful because I am going to be applying next year and I only came to a decision about studying graduate entry medicine recently.

Hi RR5
You have my word after October 15th 2019 (Ucas form deadline ) I will write up all I did and what I purchased for the gamsat and UKcat (gamsat I purchased more as that was my main focus). I'll guide you through it too as it's been a struggle for me.
As I said this is my third time, I would advise that u take the exam in march 2020 results will and come out in May this will give you an idea of where you are at. If you do well then you don't need to sit the September one as the results last 2 years. And if like me you don't do well them you have September and the knowledge of how the exam is sat.
I'll let you know every step of my journey as I know how this is beneficial for everyone to learn from.
Reply 57
Original post by Rari
Hi RR5
You have my word after October 15th 2019 (Ucas form deadline ) I will write up all I did and what I purchased for the gamsat and UKcat (gamsat I purchased more as that was my main focus). I'll guide you through it too as it's been a struggle for me.
As I said this is my third time, I would advise that u take the exam in march 2020 results will and come out in May this will give you an idea of where you are at. If you do well then you don't need to sit the September one as the results last 2 years. And if like me you don't do well them you have September and the knowledge of how the exam is sat.
I'll let you know every step of my journey as I know how this is beneficial for everyone to learn from.

Thank you so much Rari :smile:
Hey guys!

Hope you're all well :smile:

I am about to begin my third year of Medical Biochemistry, hoping to apply for GEM in 2021, fingers crossed! Just wondering whether you have to make a UCAS account to sit the UCAT, as I will be doing a trial run of the UCAT and GAMSAT next month?
Original post by Opisthokont
Hey guys!

Hope you're all well :smile:

I am about to begin my third year of Medical Biochemistry, hoping to apply for GEM in 2021, fingers crossed! Just wondering whether you have to make a UCAS account to sit the UCAT, as I will be doing a trial run of the UCAT and GAMSAT next month?

No, you can register for UCAT without a UCAS account.

Not sure it's worth the money to do a practice run when you can do lots of them on medify/ other site of your choice much more cheaply. But I guess if you have money to burn why not...

Latest

Trending

Trending