The Student Room Group

English and Welsh llb

I will have obtained my llb in English and Welsh law at the end of this year. My wife has been offered a very good job in Scotland and we will be moving with our children to Glasgow this December. Is there a way I can use my English llb towards becoming a solicitor in Scotland without having to do another llb in Scottish law? Thanks.
Original post by Jackbni
I will have obtained my llb in English and Welsh law at the end of this year. My wife has been offered a very good job in Scotland and we will be moving with our children to Glasgow this December. Is there a way I can use my English llb towards becoming a solicitor in Scotland without having to do another llb in Scottish law? Thanks.

Moved to the Law forum :smile:
Original post by harrysbar
Moved to the Law forum :smile:

Legal.
Original post by Notoriety
Legal.

It’s in the law forum🙂
Original post by Stefanidi
It’s in the law forum🙂

I meant it should be moved to legal, not law.

This forum is about uni courses; legal is about the legal professions.

Whatever lol

My reasoning was that OP will probably have to do a postgraduate Law course like the 2 year Accelerated LLB at one of the Scottish unis

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/qualifying-and-education/qualifying-as-a-scottish-solicitor/llb-degree-in-law/where-can-i-study-the-llb/
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
My reasoning was that OP will probably have to do a postgraduate Law course like the 2 year Accelerated LLB at one of the Scottish unis

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/qualifying-and-education/qualifying-as-a-scottish-solicitor/llb-degree-in-law/where-can-i-study-the-llb/

That’s what I was hoping to avoid. Am I better finishing my current course, completing the lpc and then transferring to Scotland? Can I do my 2 years recognised training in Scotland for the English and Welsh lpc?
Original post by Jackbni
That’s what I was hoping to avoid. Am I better finishing my current course, completing the lpc and then transferring to Scotland? Can I do my 2 years recognised training in Scotland for the English and Welsh lpc?

I'm no expert in Scots Law but you need to at least finish your English LLB in order to be elible for the Scottish Accelerated LLB, (only open to graduates) which takes 2 years rather than the usual 4 in Scotland. I think you would then do the one year Professional Diploma in Legal Practice, which is the Scottish equivalent to the LPC.

I suggest that you phone Glasgow Uni Admissions for further advice as they offer both courses

https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/scotslawgraduateentry/
Question for the Scots legal professionals on the legal forum
It doesn't look like anyone else on this forum has any information to share on the Scottish Accelerated LLB so I will move your thead to the Legal forum. If you don't get any advice on there, let me know if you want it moved to the Scottish qualifications forum (although it may be that Glasgow Admissions can explain things to your satisfaction).
Reply 11
I'm no expert in Scots Law but you need to at least finish your English LLB in order to be elible for the Scottish Accelerated LLB, (only open to graduates) which takes 2 years rather than the usual 4 in Scotland. I think you would then do the one year Professional Diploma in Legal Practice, which is the Scottish equivalent to the LPC.

I suggest that you phone Glasgow Uni Admissions for further advice as they offer both courses

https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/scotslawgraduateentry/

Thanks for the reply.
That’s what I’m trying to understand. That’s another 4 years I need to study for.
If I complete my English degree and then complete my lpc in one year. Then complete the Intra UK transfer test. It’s only an additional 2 years. However I would need to complete my 2 years recognised training for the lpc in Scotland. Is this possible?
Confused.
Thanks for the help.
Original post by Jackbni
Thanks for the reply.
That’s what I’m trying to understand. That’s another 4 years I need to study for.
If I complete my English degree and then complete my lpc in one year. Then complete the Intra UK transfer test. It’s only an additional 2 years. However I would need to complete my 2 years recognised training for the lpc in Scotland. Is this possible?
Confused.
Thanks for the help.

I can't help you any more because I'm not too familiar with the Scottish system myself. I would phone up Glasgow Uni Admissions for advice as they will understand it (it doesn't mean you have to go there, you are just making an enquiry at this stage). You could also try the Scottish Law Society careers helpline

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending