The Student Room Group

Welsh or art A level?

I'm currently in my year 11 summer and have to decide my A level options by early September to start sixth form at my school. I know already that I'm taking English lit and philosophy A level, and I have to take welsh bacc, but I can't decide between welsh (first language) or art for my final option.

I'm looking to go into politics, law, the third sector or journalism (very broad I know), and I'm looking at courses like PPE, HSPS and theology and philosophy. I'm very strong in humanities subjects, my best being welsh (lang and lit), english (lang and lit), religious studies and welsh bacc. I've also got very strong extracurriculars (chair of my local youth council, started an equality group in school, works for a local charity researching into young people, won a big public speaking competition and does debate, work experience in politics) and generally I just enjoy talking to and helping people.

Now this is where it gets tricky!! Although I'm predicted a high A* In my art gcse, I am a lot better at welsh than I am at art. It just comes a lot easier to me, although I enjoy them both equally. However if I were to take Welsh A level, most of it would have to be online through zoom, as there aren't enough people for a class. That idea is scary to me as somebody who developed bad anxiety during lockdown doing online school, although it probably is different. On the other hand, there are a good number of people taking art and I just love the atmosphere of the class, as we have two lovely teachers who are passionate, funny and love our class so much (there are also a lot more trips :wink: ). This class would definitely be better for my mental health, as there isn’t an exam until year 13, and I really struggle around exam time with insomnia and burnout. But, I’m aware that Welsh is considered a more “prestigious” A level and that the course is interesting. I just don’t want to be completely overwhelmed under 4 essay based A levels, extracurriculars, and applying to unis, but I'm aware that even if I take art I will be overwhelmed to some capacity.

If anyone has some advice it would be great :,)! I know that ideally I should be waiting until results day but I’m too anxious about it lol. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies :smile:
Original post by mj487621
I'm currently in my year 11 summer and have to decide my A level options by early September to start sixth form at my school. I know already that I'm taking English lit and philosophy A level, and I have to take welsh bacc, but I can't decide between welsh (first language) or art for my final option.

I'm looking to go into politics, law, the third sector or journalism (very broad I know), and I'm looking at courses like PPE, HSPS and theology and philosophy. I'm very strong in humanities subjects, my best being welsh (lang and lit), english (lang and lit), religious studies and welsh bacc. I've also got very strong extracurriculars (chair of my local youth council, started an equality group in school, works for a local charity researching into young people, won a big public speaking competition and does debate, work experience in politics) and generally I just enjoy talking to and helping people.

Now this is where it gets tricky!! Although I'm predicted a high A* In my art gcse, I am a lot better at welsh than I am at art. It just comes a lot easier to me, although I enjoy them both equally. However if I were to take Welsh A level, most of it would have to be online through zoom, as there aren't enough people for a class. That idea is scary to me as somebody who developed bad anxiety during lockdown doing online school, although it probably is different. On the other hand, there are a good number of people taking art and I just love the atmosphere of the class, as we have two lovely teachers who are passionate, funny and love our class so much (there are also a lot more trips :wink: ). This class would definitely be better for my mental health, as there isn’t an exam until year 13, and I really struggle around exam time with insomnia and burnout. But, I’m aware that Welsh is considered a more “prestigious” A level and that the course is interesting. I just don’t want to be completely overwhelmed under 4 essay based A levels, extracurriculars, and applying to unis, but I'm aware that even if I take art I will be overwhelmed to some capacity.

If anyone has some advice it would be great :,)! I know that ideally I should be waiting until results day but I’m too anxious about it lol. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies :smile:

Quick background research would show that you don't need a degree to get into politics, the third sector, or journalism. For law, a degree is useful if you want to become a solicitor (a law degree is likely required for barrister roles).
Your choices of degrees in PPE, HSPS and theology and philosophy do not require specific A Level subjects, although the top end universities you're aiming for would strongly prefer if you have academic subjects.

I can't really help you decide on Art vs Welsh, but from the look of things you're likely better off with Welsh. However, if you end up compromising on grade due to the teaching, I would go with Art. It's a tough choice and comes down to a judgement call and knowing what's best for your personal situation.

Quick Reply

Latest