The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ive started unsubscribing from certain repeat offenders on my email who keep spamming me with rubbish, making me get my hopes up only to see its bloody sports direct again haha
Same! Every time I get an email that starts with noreply@ my heart skips a beat. So annoying.
Original post by hailtothethief
Ive started unsubscribing from certain repeat offenders on my email who keep spamming me with rubbish, making me get my hopes up only to see its bloody sports direct again haha
Original post by ben444
I think there's massive subjectivity when applying the 4 pillars to this case. One could say the doctors breached the principles of the 4 pillars whereas another could say the judgement was correct.

As you're experiencing a similar scenario in real life, would you personally agree with the doctors initial rulings?

Yep, hugely subjective, ethical issues usually are, and that is why it is important to use a framework when looking at them, so you don't let personal feelings override the issues.
I feel my duty of care is to the patient in front of me, not to anybody else, but would try to persuade them to discuss with family (for support, if nothing else).
However, if the High Courts decide I must breach confidentiality, I am not going to argue with them. I do think it is the start of a slippery slope, though, as what constitutes a situation where a patient can expect their Dr not to treat their health issues as confidential?
My patient feels his life is hugely worthwhile, despite having watched his father die from the condition, and feels it has helped him make the most of whatever he might be dealt in life.
In this situation, his (adult) children are also aware of what grandad died of (and hence the possibility of them being at risk) and have chosen not to get tested as Dad is apparently fit and well (I checked after reading the court case!)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hailtothethief

ASOS I can handle. Getting emails from The University Of Warwick Medical School just to see the word 'Newsletter' will be the death of me :angry: :colondollar:
Original post by squeakypop
ASOS I can handle. Getting emails from The University Of Warwick Medical School just to see the word 'Newsletter' will be the death of me :angry: :colondollar:

This happened to me on Monday 🙄😂

Hahaha. I only applied to Sheffield and I'm a Sheffield alumna so I get emails from them all the time. I got one a couple of weeks ago and I could see the subject header "Invitation to..." but it was an invitation to an alumni event.
I applied with a reference from my most recent employer, as it's been a few years since I graduated. I received an email from Nottingham the other day asking for an academic reference as well. Now I'm not sure if my reference wasn't up to scratch, or if they just always want an academic reference, but I've not had a reply to my email to my old uni personal tutor, so I'm now worrying about that on top of everything else :')
Original post by MilMed2020
I applied with a reference from my most recent employer, as it's been a few years since I graduated. I received an email from Nottingham the other day asking for an academic reference as well. Now I'm not sure if my reference wasn't up to scratch, or if they just always want an academic reference, but I've not had a reply to my email to my old uni personal tutor, so I'm now worrying about that on top of everything else :')

They always want an academic one. Find any member of staff that knew you.
Original post by Antibiotics
They always want an academic one. Find any member of staff that knew you.

I don't think this is entirely true. If someone has left University X number of years ago (I've forgotten how many years), an academic reference is not required. Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall reading it somewhere.
Original post by ben444
I don't think this is entirely true. If someone has left University X number of years ago (I've forgotten how many years), an academic reference is not required. Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall reading it somewhere.

I don’t know, their rules on what constitutes recently graduating is very broad - they wouldn’t give people offers (inc me) that had graduated a while ago until they provided an academic one. The academic reference also has to meet certain criteria otherwise they’ll request another
I graduated in 2007. Nottingham never requested an academic reference for me last year. The only place that requested one was Sheffield and that was because they needed predicted grades for my A levels.
I didn't have an academic reference, but didn't apply to Nottingham - it wasn't an issue for the places I did apply.
Thanks folks - hopefully my existing reference is good enough for the other unis, and I manage to find a staff member who is willing to write a reference for Nottingham
Good luck to everyone with interviews at Sheffield over the next few days!!!

I had my first ever MMI on Tuesday and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected. Try to stay calm, remember that you're there because they think you've got something to offer (and you do!!) and however badly it goes it's over very quickly :tongue:
Good luck to everyone with interviews at Sheffield over the next few days!!!

I had my first ever MMI on Tuesday and it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd expected. Try to stay calm, remember that you're there because they think you've got something to offer (and you do!!) and however badly it goes it's over very quickly :tongue:

Thanks! I'm talking to a mirror about the NHS constitution right now!
Got an interview for Newcastle!!
Original post by Marni_
Got an interview for Newcastle!!

Congrats! Is this GEM?
Original post by philippamarie
Congrats! Is this GEM?

Thank you! Yes :smile:
Original post by Marni_

Congratulations! I am waiting for their rejection😁
Original post by Marni_

Congrats! It's definitely one of the most difficult GEM programmes to be called to interview, you should be proud of yourself. Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending