The Student Room Group

GCSE Music vs GCSE History

The time has come for my GCSE options. In our school we have a system where there are 3 lines, and you pick 1st and 2nd choice for each line.For my 1st choices, I thought of doing Geography (Line 1), German (Line 2) and Music/History (Line 3).For my 2nd choices, I thought of doing History (Line 1), Geography (Line 2) and Music/History (Line 3).For line 3, I most likely want to do Music, as I am Grade 5 Piano, but History is also a well-respected subject for universities. In my Year 9 exams I got 94% for Music and 100% for History, but I am not totally keen on source questions in History, even though I do quite well at it.Which GCSE subject should I pick - Music or History?
I am also in year nine and am taking history. You are clearly very good at both subjects so should honestly take which ever one you think you will enjoy more
I took both and enjoyed them both, but they do have pros and cons.
History is pretty straight forward as long as you know your stuff - I got an 8 (2 off a 9, I was so gutted) by making sure I knew all the events. It's not an 'easy' subject, which is why it's respected by uni. However, universities will most likely only be interested in your history grade if you are applying for a history course and took it at A-Level.

Music is a lot of work - coursework takes a lot of time to get right, obviously, and the theory stuff is pretty hard, but if you have a Grade 5 in piano you should do okay in most of it! Again, it's really not an easy subject and I'd only recommend taking it if you are serious about taking it at A-level or have a real passion. I enjoyed it but at the same time wish I had taken another subject and gotten a higher grade (My teacher was rubbish, I ended up hating the lessons which Is why I did badly)

So honestly, take whichever one you think will benefit you the most in the long run.
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies. I think I'm leaning slightly towards History now. But if you look at my 3 subjects altogether (Geography, German, History), is it ok to take both Geography and History? Aren't they both humanities subjects? Won't it be a lot of workload?
I know most people say it's a lot of work, but if you think you can handle it I'd say go ahead. They're subjects that are valued by colleges and uni's because of the workload
Reply 5
Thanks again. Now I think I'm leaning towards the Music side. I just want to know another thing - many people say taking Music means it may be a bit more relaxing. Is that actually true?
Another thing I want to ask is, which subject out of the two is more traditional/respected/facilitating by the (Russell Group) universities?
Also, in my school there is only one Music class for GCSE, as there are two for History, and the number of pupils who take GCSE Music every year is very low (around 10). Do you think that the teacher focuses on you more if you are in a class with less people?
Reply 6
Original post by VilasL06
Thanks again. Now I think I'm leaning towards the Music side. I just want to know another thing - many people say taking Music means it may be a bit more relaxing. Is that actually true?
Another thing I want to ask is, which subject out of the two is more traditional/respected/facilitating by the (Russell Group) universities?
Also, in my school there is only one Music class for GCSE, as there are two for History, and the number of pupils who take GCSE Music every year is very low (around 10). Do you think that the teacher focuses on you more if you are in a class with less people?

Hey! Definitely do whatever you enjoy more :smile:

I have friends who do both Geography and History, and yes, the workload is quite a lot. If you're passionate about music and know that you can do well in it, I suggest you take that, especially because it is a creative subject and shows that you are well rounded.

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 7

Yep, you certainly do get more attention. In terms of the Universities, it really depends on what you want to do in the future. But considering the fact that you already have the humanity of Geography, Music should give you a nice bit of variety, opening your future doors for A-levels and Uni more.

The more traditional/respected/facilitating one is History for sure. But as others have said - pick what you’ll enjoy most and do the best at. I did History and found it a lot of work but very interesting. Still, I imagine Music wouldn’t be easy either. History is very much about understanding, analysing and memorising chains of events and dates/names/statistics - if you think you could do this then you’ll probably enjoy it. If you prefer more coursework assessed work, Music may be a better fit. Realistically, they’re both only very useful if you want to take an A Level in either of them (or a related subject eg History may help with skills for English A Level and Music may help with skills for Drama A Level). But if you look at the course content and still can’t decide, taking History will probably be slightly more helpful. Good luck!
Reply 9
Thanks for your replies too. So if it is better to choose a subject I would enjoy more, that would be Music, but History is slightly more respected by the universities, I have heard. But will my GCSE choices matter a lot to universities? Or is it the grade of the subject that matters more?
Reply 10
Thanks for your replies too. So if it is better to choose a subject I would enjoy more, that would be Music, but History is slightly more respected by the universities, I have heard. But will my GCSE choices matter a lot to universities? Or is it the grade of the subject that matters more?

Your GCSE choices aren't that important to Universities. Unless you are planning to do History for A-Level (or even perhaps politics), I wouldn't suggest doing History, especially considering the fact that you are already doing Geography and it would be really good to have a creative subject that you enjoy. GCSEs only really are important for A-Level choice and Sixth Form applications.
Reply 11

The grade definitely matters more :smile:
Reply 12
OK, I have pretty much fixed GCSE Music as my third option. Thank you very much. But if anyone else still has anything to say about their thoughts on GCSE History or Music, please tell me below. I'm still eager to hear anything more!
Reply 13
OK, I have pretty much fixed GCSE Music as my third option. Thank you very much. But if anyone else still has anything to say about their thoughts on GCSE History or Music, please tell me below. I'm still eager to hear anything more!

Glad to hear it! :biggrin:
Hello I'm currently in the same position you where in can you please tell me how it worked out for you
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Odruniap
Hello I'm currently in the same position you where in can you please tell me how it worked out for you

Hi, sorry for the late reply,
I eventually decided to take Music and I didn't regret taking it! It was a lot of fun composing music as well as listening to various types of music. I imagine History is also fun as well but you need to be good at essay writing and you also need to write fast. If you want to take a history-related career like Law Crime etc, then I would recommend History. Otherwise choose what is more enjoyable and fun - you don't want to be doing something that you don't enjoy!
Hope I've helped in some way

Quick Reply

Latest