The Student Room Group

Music v Psychology

I'm in y10 and I'm three weeks into psychology, and I'm considering dropping it for music. Psychology is fine but seems like another science on top of the three I'm already taking. It's also a very academic subject and I'm taking eleven GCSEs so I really need to lighten my workload. Finally, I don't have any artistic/creative subjects so I think it would be useful to have at least one.

On the other hand, I'm not as sure I'll get a good grade in music as it's not as memorization-based as psychology. E.g. for psychology you just need to remember things, but music requires creativity, ability to compose etc. I'm confident in my performance ability but I've never properly composed before, and I feel I might get embarrassed in the class because I'll be behind people in ability (for context i'm grade 8 performance and got like 90% in grade 5 theory, both abrsm, but this was back in 2020 when the composition requirement was removed, and I've also forgotten most of it)

TLDR: basically confirmed 9 in psychology but extra workload vs likely 7-8 in music but I get to relax and have one creative subject.
(edited 7 months ago)
Do psychology
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest