The Student Room Group

are these good gcses

Hi, I was just wondering if these would be good to take, I can still change them.

Physics
chem
biology
english lit
english language
maths
italian
music (gr 8. violin)
computer science
history

thanks, (side note im hoping to do physics in the future)
Original post by stressed_person
Hi, I was just wondering if these would be good to take, I can still change them.

Physics
chem
biology
english lit
english language
maths
italian
music (gr 8. violin)
computer science
history

Yeah I think so

Physics
chem
biology
english lit
english language
maths
italian
music (gr 8. violin)
computer science
history

Yes those are pretty good!
I'm doing italian and comp. science for gcse too! :smile:

Physics
chem
biology
english lit
english language
maths
italian
music (gr 8. violin)
computer science
history

They look good, especially as you are hoping to do physics and it looks like there will be GCSEs there that you enjoy. I did Music (about grade 5 clarinet at the time) and it was a lot of fun. I found it much more relaxed than most of my other GCSEs, and it is always nice to do music with likeminded people.

Physics
chem
biology
english lit
english language
maths
italian
music (gr 8. violin)
computer science
history

I ended up doing them all except that I changed italian and history to geography and spanish. It is pretty good.
I ended up doing them all except that I changed italian and history to geography and spanish. It is pretty good.

what made you realise you didnt want to do history? (i want to do history but im good at both+geo is easier so)
Original post by i_am_a_potato
what made you realise you didnt want to do history? (i want to do history but im good at both+geo is easier so)

I did ontop of the core gcses you have listed, cs, geography french and dt, i didnt do history cause the exams were essay intensive and im more of a recall facts person imo. It depends on the type of person you are, if you feel like you do well in longer essay writing and making points and justifying them [therefore do well in English], History should be a good fit for you as its also interesting. However like me, if you like recalling knowledge + applying them in scenarios [e.g sciences and math], geography is a good choice, it does get kinda dull sometimes and i do get surprised by the content but i think i'd be seriously stuck if i did history.

Well personally, I don't really want to stress myself with the essays and my friends that do it love the subject, but always complain about the fact that you need to write tons of long answer questions in a short amount of time. I'm doing geography now and it's more balanced. You should consider the content of history, because if you find it interesting enough to revise it, you would probably do fine.
Reply 8

I am doing history bc ik the essays suck but if you enjoy the content it's really interesting- and i've found it applies to lots of other subjects. Heavily content based so make sure you enjoy it and it can be a great gcse- also impressive to unis/sixth forms bc of the essay format. There's lots of support in writing the essays as well.
Reply 9

Physics
chem
biology
english lit
english language
maths
italian
music (gr 8. violin)
computer science
history

Those are really good! I found that Italian resources are quite hard to find but personally I love studying Italian its so beautiful. I’m in year 10 so if anyone has any suggestions of where to find revisions guides or anything like that for Italian, that would be great and probably beneficial to many other people on this platform.

Quick Reply

Latest