The Student Room Group

GCSE Spanish or Computer Science?

Hi!
I’m in Year 9 and options are rolling around, and for a while I’ve been convinced that I’ll be choosing Music, History, Geography and Spanish as the subjects I’ll be taking to GCSE since they’re all ones I enjoy and I’m confident that I’d get good grades in them.
Howevever, I’ve been starting to consider if I should choose Computer Science instead of Spanish.
I already spend a good portion of time outside of school studying Spanish independently, so much so that the lessons at school are a bit monotonous since the only new things I seem to learn in them is a new piece of vocab here and there (plus my teacher’s really boring lol…) Because of this, I think I’d definitely be able to continue learning the language without actually having to take it at GCSE.
Furthermore, I’m considering going into science - particularly physics - as a career when I’m older. I’ve heard that a background in coding is really beneficial in a physics career, and even if I don’t go down that route (I’ve been having this science vs law debate in my head for ages!) it’s still good in this day and age to have some sort of technological qualification.
Though, although I’m good at both subjects, to get the upper grades in CompSci I’d probably have to work quite a bit harder than in Spanish since I already know a lot of Spanish content. Plus, even if a CompSci qualification is useful, MFL quals are also really highly valued!
Note that I’m not willing to drop Geography, History or Music.
I hope someone with better decision making skills can offer me advice, because I’m truly hopeless!
Thank you!
Original post by WhoaIsThatIsla
Hi!
I’m in Year 9 and options are rolling around, and for a while I’ve been convinced that I’ll be choosing Music, History, Geography and Spanish as the subjects I’ll be taking to GCSE since they’re all ones I enjoy and I’m confident that I’d get good grades in them.
Howevever, I’ve been starting to consider if I should choose Computer Science instead of Spanish.
I already spend a good portion of time outside of school studying Spanish independently, so much so that the lessons at school are a bit monotonous since the only new things I seem to learn in them is a new piece of vocab here and there (plus my teacher’s really boring lol…) Because of this, I think I’d definitely be able to continue learning the language without actually having to take it at GCSE.
Furthermore, I’m considering going into science - particularly physics - as a career when I’m older. I’ve heard that a background in coding is really beneficial in a physics career, and even if I don’t go down that route (I’ve been having this science vs law debate in my head for ages!) it’s still good in this day and age to have some sort of technological qualification.
Though, although I’m good at both subjects, to get the upper grades in CompSci I’d probably have to work quite a bit harder than in Spanish since I already know a lot of Spanish content. Plus, even if a CompSci qualification is useful, MFL quals are also really highly valued!
I hope someone with better decision making skills can offer me advice, because I’m truly hopeless!
Thank you!

Hi there!
I have taken Computer Science for GCSE, and let me tell you it has a great skill! Employers will value this subject quite a lot as it does count as an additional science and the theory is quite interesting yet not too difficult. The coding is great for any career path you wish to go into as they will be able to tell you are knowledgeable and able to apply your understanding in very problematic situations. There are only 6 questions in paper 2 and it's quite fun once you get to learn it. I chose it because I know that universities count it as a more challenging subject, I would say it would extend your potential rather than Spanish.
Original post by cupcakeglorious6
Hi there!
I have taken Computer Science for GCSE, and let me tell you it has a great skill! Employers will value this subject quite a lot as it does count as an additional science and the theory is quite interesting yet not too difficult. The coding is great for any career path you wish to go into as they will be able to tell you are knowledgeable and able to apply your understanding in very problematic situations. There are only 6 questions in paper 2 and it's quite fun once you get to learn it. I chose it because I know that universities count it as a more challenging subject, I would say it would extend your potential rather than Spanish.

Ah, thank you very much! It’s interesting to hear about how versatile CompSci can be! I’ve definitely been leaning more towards picking CompSci and further from Spanish lately, and I’ll definitely keep your opinion in the forefront of my mind
Reply 3
Original post by WhoaIsThatIsla
Hi!
Thank you!

If it is possible, do a Spanish FCSE this year (the entire programme is stopping next year, apparently) so ou will still get a qualification for the work you have done so far and then you can also take CompSci.

Quick Reply

Latest