The Student Room Group

Do you have a problem with film piracy?

Poll

Do you have a problem with pirating films? (private poll)

If you were to go to someone's house and they had admitted to illegally downloading a film for you to watch, would you mind? If yes, what would you do e.g. refuse to watch the film?

Do you think film piracy is socially acceptable?

(There's no need to admit to pirating films yourself in this thread!)
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't care if a friend had a pirated film and I think it's socially acceptable.
Reply 2
I might care a bit if they'd pirated a super-niche independent film and I personally knew the struggling, penniless filmmaker who created it, but... no, I wouldn't have a problem with it in most cases.
I understood the initial question wrong before reading your OP, I have issues with quality and sometimes it is really annoying when you get foreign subtitles on them.

I would be a little concerned why they risked downloading when it is far easier to simply stream direct.

Media piracy is very socially acceptable.
Reply 4
I mean I do it myself so no I wouldn’t mind😂 I don’t download just streaming on illegal sites😁
(edited 4 years ago)
I remember a decade odd ago they had an anti piracy campaign called 'Knock Off Nigel', and the gist of this musical advert was that if you knocked off films like Nigel, you would be heavily bullied in your workplace. But I remember thinking 'What a load of crap, Nigel would be really popular, esp if he had dodgy Sky cards as well' :confused:
Voted yes. I'm not really a fan of it...

I'm not sure what I'd do in the given scenario.
Original post by StriderHort
I remember a decade odd ago they had an anti piracy campaign called 'Knock Off Nigel', and the gist of this musical advert was that if you knocked off films like Nigel, you would be heavily bullied in your workplace. But I remember thinking 'What a load of crap, Nigel would be really popular, esp if he had dodgy Sky cards as well' :confused:

This one?

Those adverts never worked.

Original post by DiddyDec
This one?

Those adverts never worked.

Yeah that's the ones, utter crap, assuming he had spare copies of Toy Story 2 he would have been The Man.

Odd how that advert has aged, if you tried to promote abusing an employee like that now I suspect you'd catch far more flak than someone ignoring digital copyright.
If I can share a pirated film with friends I don't demonize them for doing. It is their risk, not mine.
i dont have the energy for the 'GET TIDDY (tongue emojis)' or 'WIN DOLLARDOLLARDOLLAR' popups. plus a cinema experience is unparallel.
Original post by Tenya Iida
i dont have the energy for the 'GET TIDDY (tongue emojis)' or 'WIN DOLLARDOLLARDOLLAR' popups. plus a cinema experience is unparallel.

Have you tried adblocker?

Spoiler

Original post by Tenya Iida

Spoiler

That is a good one, I use a different site for anime that allows me to keep my adblock.

You can pause adblock.
Reply 14

It is as close to a godsend as you can get!

I have recently started buying some films on amazon prime but I mostly just steam them for free. It can be annoying but it’s worth it. I’m not a downloader though, never been comfortable with the sites and all their adds that I still can’t get rid of.
things like pirating I don't think you can make blanket statements for..

I mean, pirating a movie released by a struggling indie studio who really need to keep funding their movies?
Or pirating a movie that's many years old and owned by a major media corporation who isn't interested in re-releasing it because its so niche?

One feels wrong, the other doesn't to me. Lots of shades of grey in the middle.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7
It is as close to a godsend as you can get!

I have recently started buying some films on amazon prime but I mostly just steam them for free. It can be annoying but it’s worth it. I’m not a downloader though, never been comfortable with the sites and all their adds that I still can’t get rid of.

Every computer I use runs adblock, even my work one.

Eventually I will get round to setting up a Pi-hole at home. Eventually.
Reply 17
Every computer I use runs adblock, even my work one.

Eventually I will get round to setting up a Pi-hole at home. Eventually.

I don’t have adblock on my phone or ipad out of laziness and it’s so annoying. My PC and now laptop have it though and always do. It’s the first thing I put on.
(edited 4 years ago)
Personally? If I can get the film/tv/music easily enough for what I want it for, I'll buy it. But if it has some dumb DRM (looking at you iTunes, blacking out the screen when I try to watch things on my tv from my laptop) I will absolutely pirate it. Sometimes I just cannot find copies of what I want so I have to find it illegally. I am 100000% less likely to pirate something if I can get it on a streaming service.

I want to support you, but you gotta make it easy for me to do it.
Adblock on phone, xbox etc is a ball ache to do that is the purpose of the Pi-hole.

Quick Reply

Latest