The Student Room Group

Which A level subjects would go well with english lit?

i'm currently trying to decide my a-levels. I'm pretty set on english lit but not sure what subjects to take with it. I've considered psychology, sociology, spanish, art. Also considered film or media studies as i might like to do them after college but if i change my mind i feel like they'd be a problem for uni applications because they're 'soft subjects'. Any advice helps, cheers.
Original post by izE_
i'm currently trying to decide my a-levels. I'm pretty set on english lit but not sure what subjects to take with it. I've considered psychology, sociology, spanish, art. Also considered film or media studies as i might like to do them after college but if i change my mind i feel like they'd be a problem for uni applications because they're 'soft subjects'. Any advice helps, cheers.

One soft subject is ok but two is risky for certain unis/competitive courses.

I think any of psychology, sociology, spanish or art would go well with English Lit.
Original post by harrysbar
One soft subject is ok

There is no such thing as a 'soft' subject - Unis will list required, preferred and excluded A level subjects for every course on their website.
There is no secret information or stuff that only 'special people' know.
Original post by McGinger
There is no such thing as a 'soft' subject - Unis will list required, preferred and excluded A level subjects for every course on their website.
There is no secret information or stuff that only 'special people' know.

Well they don't all accept Film studies which OP mentioned and not all students pour over uni websites for preferred or not preferred subjects so :dontknow:
Foreign language goes well with English literature.
Original post by harrysbar
Well they don't all accept Film studies

Examples ?
Original post by McGinger
Examples ?

Sheffield for one but I’m sure there are others
I mean Sheffield will only accept subjects like Film Studies (plus a list of others it considers less desirable) if taken with more preferred subjects.
Unpopular opinion - maths.
LSE won’t include Film studies as part of their offer. The applicant would have to offer it alongside 3 other more preferred subjects
Original post by izE_

Heya!
What are you thinking of doing in the future? Perhaps prospects can help you out with it :h: Once you get a general idea of what you want to do, later on, you can look at the entry requirements and select your a-levels depending on what is required. If there are no requirements like e.g. law, then select something you enjoy and did well in GCSEs, any from your selection would be fine in that case!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by toxicgamage56
Unpopular opinion - maths.

i took math and english lit. Gd combo... Unless u do ocr english lit.
Original post by kingpinring
i took math and english lit. Gd combo... Unless u do ocr english lit.

That's literally what I do loll, how did it go? I did the question on Hamlet, which everyone seems to hate.
Original post by izE_

maths. I took maths n Lit n it worked quite well. Health warning: only take maths if you like it and are good at it. I’m talking grade 8+. Alternatively, people quite enjoy History with english.

Quick Reply

Latest