The Student Room Group

Applying for Student Finance after a Working Holiday

Hi,
I was in and out of Canada for a working holiday for the past two years and came back home last May. Will this affect me being able to apply for student finance for my Master's this year? Aside from that, I'm a UK national.

I need to email the place I'm applying for soon about this, so any advice and answers as soon as possible will be amazing! Thanks!
Original post by mtfb
Hi,
I was in and out of Canada for a working holiday for the past two years and came back home last May. Will this affect me being able to apply for student finance for my Master's this year? Aside from that, I'm a UK national.
I need to email the place I'm applying for soon about this, so any advice and answers as soon as possible will be amazing! Thanks!

Hi there,

Do you have proof your time outside the UK was temporary? Do you have work visas, temporary contracts etc?

You need to apply and send your evdience so we can determine if you would be eligible or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,
Do you have proof your time outside the UK was temporary? Do you have work visas, temporary contracts etc?
You need to apply and send your evdience so we can determine if you would be eligible or not.
Thanks,
Claire

I do! I have my working holiday visa permit document and I think I still have work contracts but I definitely have emails for it.
Original post by mtfb
I do! I have my working holiday visa permit document and I think I still have work contracts but I definitely have emails for it.

Hi there,

Thanks - time spent abroad is fine so long as it's temporary. So, it's good that you have proof of this.

Will your course begin in September or later? If so, we'd recommend applying online as soon as you can and that way we can review your evidence as soon as possible.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,
Thanks - time spent abroad is fine so long as it's temporary. So, it's good that you have proof of this.
Will your course begin in September or later? If so, we'd recommend applying online as soon as you can and that way we can review your evidence as soon as possible.
Thanks, Graeme
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

September, I'll make sure to start now. Thank you!
You're welcome. I hope you have a nice day.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 6
Original post by Drew SLC
You're welcome. I hope you have a nice day.
Thanks, Drew

Hi sorry, I have another problem, my first choice of the university I want to go to is a film school that has a proper university that validates their courses but when I type the actual university down when applying for student finance the course doesn't come up? On the film school's website it says we can get student finance but I don't know how to?
Hi there,

What is the name of the course, what university will you attend and what is the course duration? When does the course start and you have said it is a Postgraduate Course?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 8
I have two I want to apply for but this one is the last minute one, they have open until their course starts. It starts in April, the course is MA Film and Television Production at MetFilm (courses validated by University of West London) and it's for a year.
Hi there,

The university you would need to put on your application would be the Met Film School. I can see the 1 year Postgraduate Course for MA Film and Television Production starting in April 2024 their on our database. The Student Loan course code is 927678.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 10
Perfect Thank you so much! One more thing, sorry!
If I don't get into any universities I apply for this year or withdraw my applications with them, can I cancel this year's student finance application and restart for the year after? Either way, I want to go through the application to see if my working holiday in Canada affects the payment and by how much. Thanks!
Hi there. Yes that is correct. Before payments are made or you start the course, the application can be cancelled online for you to reapply for the next Academic Year. Thanks, David

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending