The Student Room Group

Any chance at vet med with bad gcses

I’m in need of honest answers to whether I should even bother applying to vet med even though I really want to become a vet one day my GCSE’s are 3 A’s 4 B’s and 3 C’s
Some vet schools have requirements of at least 5As/7s at GCSE for their D100 course to include biology and chemistry (some also require physics at grade A/7) or double science. They also require maths, english language and physics at grade B/6 or above. There are some vet schools which do not have these requirements so I'll list the vet schools along with their entry requirements that don't require 5As/7s.

D100
Bristol = Maths and English language at grade 4/C or above http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/vet-science/bvsc-veterinary-science/
Cambridge = "GCSEs (or their equivalent) are not as important to us as A-levels (or their equivalent), but obviously it is encouraging if you have at least a few A*/8/9’s at GCSE, especially in science/maths subjects" https://www.vet.cam.ac.uk/study/vet/howtoapply
Edinburgh = "If Physics has not been studied to A level, a good pass at GCSE is required." https://www.ed.ac.uk/vet/studying/5-year-programme/academic-requirements
Glasgow = "GCSE English at Grade B (or Grade 5-6)" https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/veterinarymedicine/#tab=entry,a-levels
Liverpool = "minimum of seven GCSEs at grades AAABBBB or above, including Mathematics, English and Physics (either as a separate subject or as Dual Award Science) are required." https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/veterinary-science-bvsc/entry-requirements/

There will be ten vet schools taking students for 2021 entry and the 5 I have missed off are the Royal Veterinary College (RVC) & Aberystwyth University (joint vet school), Harper & Keele Veterinary School (joint vet school), Nottingham, Surrey and RVC but they all require at least 5As/7s at GCSE for their D100 course. There are some courses such as the gateway course at Nottingham that have lower GCSE entry requirements but you have to meet other academic requirements and widening participation criteria.

Gateway
Nottingham Gateway = "Minimum of five GCSEs at grade 6 (B) to include biology, chemistry and physics (or double science or core science, additional science, further additional science), English language and maths." https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/veterinarymedicineandscience/veterinary-medicine-surgery-gateway-year.aspx
RVC Gateway = "A minimum of five GCSEs at grade 4/C including the following subjects:
4-4 in Combined Science or CC in Science (Double Award) or C in both Science & Additional Science or 4/C in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
English Language
Mathematics" https://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/veterinary-gateway#panel-g-c-s-es-only-in-addition-to-other-qualifications
Bristol Gateway = "Standard literacy requirement (4 or C in GCSE English or equivalent) and Standard numeracy requirement (4 or C in GCSE Mathematics or equivalent) and Two higher science requirements (6, 6 or BB in GCSE Science or equivalent)" http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/vet-science/bvsc-gateway-to-veterinary-science/

What subjects did you get the As in? What subjects did you get the Bs in? What subjects did you get the Cs in? I hope this has helped answer your question. I would recommend researching further and emailing any vet schools you are interested in applying to but aren't sure you meet the criteria of to just check whether it's worth you applying or not. You also need to make sure you meet the work experience requirements and A-level grade requirements otherwise you are extremely likely to be rejected but due to COVID-19 some vet schools (if not all) will take into consideration the fact that students may not be able to meet the work experience requirements.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
I have found I meet the gcse requirements but it’s all very vague Ik hoping to get A* A A at a level and have about 13 weeks work experience lined up so
Original post by graceyyyyy
I have found I meet the gcse requirements but it’s all very vague Ik hoping to get A* A A at a level and have about 13 weeks work experience lined up so

As long as you meet the GCSE grade requirements, work experience requirements and A-level requirements then you should be considered.
in my experience. people who get poor GCSE get bad alevels. but there are one or two exceptions
My GCSE's were 4A's 4B's - got AAA at A level and 3 vet school offers

It is definitely not as easy a route in having 'good' grades to begin with but I wouldn't rule yourself out
Reply 6
Where did you apply ?
Where did you apply ?

Liverpool, Nottingham, RVC and Surrey

Surrey was very much bottom of the list - was a new school with ,in my opinion, very poor facilities so I applied there as a last resort thinking if the better schools won't take me atleast they will - irony when the next day I received rejection from Surrey. Thought oh damn means I'll be reapplying for all next year but got interviews and subsequent offers for the rest.
Reply 8
I’m in need of honest answers to whether I should even bother applying to vet med even though I really want to become a vet one day my GCSE’s are 3 A’s 4 B’s and 3 C’s

Hi, just wanted to say that if you really want to be a vet then go for it! College and school like to make you think that GCSE's and A-levels are the only way into uni especially for something like vet med but it is just not true! I managed to get good GCSE results and decided that i wanted to pursue vet med, i did a-levels in Bio,chem and politics plus some core maths. Unfortunately they didn't go to plan- got a B in biology, C in chemistry, B in politics and maths- definitely not vet med level! I retook chemistry and got a C again! I thought that was the end of that dream until i learnt about some vet uni's offering applicants the chance to apply via access to higher education courses. These are for mature students or students whose A-levels didn't go to plan. I've just enrolled on a Access course in science at a local college, which so long as i get distinctions in all topics, i will be able to apply to RVC, Surrey, Harper Adams and now Aberystwyth to study vet med! if you did't know, Access courses can be done by anyone of any age and if your GCSE's aren't up to scratch i'm pretty sure you can retake subjects alongside your access course! My course costed about £3500 but i've spent the last two years since college working to help cover costs and have got a loan too! You probably knew this already but just in case your school or college never told you, GCSE's and A-levels are not the be all and end all! if you are determined you will get there! Good luck!
Original post by Ducks99
Hi, just wanted to say that if you really want to be a vet then go for it! College and school like to make you think that GCSE's and A-levels are the only way into uni especially for something like vet med but it is just not true! I managed to get good GCSE results and decided that i wanted to pursue vet med, i did a-levels in Bio,chem and politics plus some core maths. Unfortunately they didn't go to plan- got a B in biology, C in chemistry, B in politics and maths- definitely not vet med level! I retook chemistry and got a C again! I thought that was the end of that dream until i learnt about some vet uni's offering applicants the chance to apply via access to higher education courses. These are for mature students or students whose A-levels didn't go to plan. I've just enrolled on a Access course in science at a local college, which so long as i get distinctions in all topics, i will be able to apply to RVC, Surrey, Harper Adams and now Aberystwyth to study vet med! if you did't know, Access courses can be done by anyone of any age and if your GCSE's aren't up to scratch i'm pretty sure you can retake subjects alongside your access course! My course costed about £3500 but i've spent the last two years since college working to help cover costs and have got a loan too! You probably knew this already but just in case your school or college never told you, GCSE's and A-levels are not the be all and end all! if you are determined you will get there! Good luck!

I’m the exact same as this! I had dilated myocarditis when I was younger which led to a bunch of mental health problems and had a detrimental impact on my grade.

you can also CLAIM back the money of HE courses should you use it for uni, these courseS actually open up the doors to many universities And walks of life. (Mine is 6500.)
hiya i’m really interested in your comment - i’m currently studying an Access course to HE however have been rejected from harper adam’s due to not having the GCSEs at A’s/B’s Did you do the Access course through the Uni? How have you got round the GCSE results?
Original post by Ducks99

(Original post by ccharlottewood)

hiya i’m really interested in your comment - i’m currently studying an Access course to HE however have been rejected from harper adam’s due to not having the GCSEs at A’s/B’s Did you do the Access course through the Uni? How have you got round the entry requirements for GCSE results?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending