The Student Room Group

student finance & clearing

I got rejected from all of my university choices this year, and would like to try to apply through clearing (if there's spaces) for veterinary medicine. how does this work with student finance? do I apply now, or do I wait, knowing there's a high chance of me not getting a place?
Original post by Kat_jan17
I got rejected from all of my university choices this year, and would like to try to apply through clearing (if there's spaces) for veterinary medicine. how does this work with student finance? do I apply now, or do I wait, knowing there's a high chance of me not getting a place?

You don't need a confirmed place at university to apply for student finance so apply now. You will be able to change the uni if you get a place or cancel if you don't.
Reply 2
Slim chance of a Vet Med place in Clearing - most Unis will fill any spaces with those they interviewed but you didnt get an offer and are not holding an offer/place for Vet anywhere else ('Waiting List').. You are more likely to be able to get a place in Clearing for Vet-Science etc.
Original post by McGinger
Slim chance of a Vet Med place in Clearing - most Unis will fill any spaces with those they interviewed but you didnt get an offer and are not holding an offer/place for Vet anywhere else ('Waiting List').. You are more likely to be able to get a place in Clearing for Vet-Science etc.

Vet science is usually the same as vet med, biovet is the equivalent that cannot become a vet. But actually the last few years vet med has had places in clearing, e.g. particularly Nottingham April cohort. Always worth a look, there has been someone on TSR who has got a place through clearing in the last few years.

For OP, I’d apply for student finance on the off chance and you don’t need to confirm a place at uni. If after clearing you don’t manage to get a place, simply cancel the student finance. It won’t hurt anything.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger

Veterinary science is veterinary medicine, the two names are used for the course. I think you were referring to veterinary bioscience.
However, you are correct in saying that the chances of getting a place through clearing are slim, although not impossible. A couple of places in the April cohort at Nottingham have become available in the last two years, but students were only eligible to attempt this if they hadn’t already been rejected post interview by them in this application cycle. This cohort is however becoming more popular so there are no guarantees that places will be available this application round.
But getting back to student finance, there is nothing preventing OP starting an application with any of their choices of uni and course , which they can edit later.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Thanks so much everyone! I’ll apply and then cancel if I don’t get a place through clearing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending