The Student Room Group

Mature Student Veterinary Medicine Application Help!

Hi,

I am a 25 year old Veterinary Practice Manager, undertaking an Access to HE Science in preparation for Veterinary Science/Medicine Applicants.

I have lined up work experience 4 weeks small animal clinic, 4 weeks farm, 2 weeks physiotherapy/hydrotherapy, 2 weeks equestrian facility - I have requested experience in Equine and Farm Animal Vets, however I am currently struggling to find anywhere which will allow me.

Please send any suggestions my way of what I can do to increase my chances of a successful application.

I am hoping to apply to Bristol and Nottingham.

Thank You
Hiya, I did the Access to Science diploma and I'm now in my third year at Nottingham (including Preliminary Year).

Your work experience looks really good. What farms did you do? I recommend both lambing and dairy if you can, but any farming looks really good to veterinary schools. Other than that, I don't think you're missing anything. You can always add more placements if you have more time but what you have seems like a comprehensive amount and you've covered all areas.

You'll be hard-pressed to find an equine vet or farm vet who will take on a pre-vet student, unfortunately. Therefore the vet schools don't require you to have done this as part of an application. It is helpful though, so continue your search and good luck - I hope you find something!

It seems like you're doing well. Focus on getting the grades on your course for now and if you have time acquiring extra placements can always be something interesting to do and broaden your knowledge.

I personally made a journal about things that I saw on placement and reflected on them, as well as journalling things that I had researched about the profession and my thoughts. This makes it a lot easier to write your personal statement and fill out the applicant questionnaires, just because you've already thought about what you've learnt from your experiences (which is something you WILL get asked). Doing this reflection will also help you at the interview stage.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about the application process or Nottingham let me know. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by viennageorgiaa
Hi,

I am a 25 year old Veterinary Practice Manager, undertaking an Access to HE Science in preparation for Veterinary Science/Medicine Applicants.

I have lined up work experience 4 weeks small animal clinic, 4 weeks farm, 2 weeks physiotherapy/hydrotherapy, 2 weeks equestrian facility - I have requested experience in Equine and Farm Animal Vets, however I am currently struggling to find anywhere which will allow me.

Please send any suggestions my way of what I can do to increase my chances of a successful application.

I am hoping to apply to Bristol and Nottingham.

Thank You

Hi

I’m a mature student and applied to Bristol this year too with a HE diploma .

For your application you have the minimum requires for both universities. They don’t normally give extra credit for more as it’s more a tick list on applications.

However it might get in your interviews to have as much insight as you can .

Bristol offered almost guaranteed places to all mature students with the academic achievements needed. Fingers crossed they do that again next year for you.
Reply 3
Original post by tllewellyn
Hi

I’m a mature student and applied to Bristol this year too with a HE diploma .

For your application you have the minimum requires for both universities. They don’t normally give extra credit for more as it’s more a tick list on applications.

However it might get in your interviews to have as much insight as you can .

Bristol offered almost guaranteed places to all mature students with the academic achievements needed. Fingers crossed they do that again next year for you.

Which HE couse did you do to get into Bristol please? Thank you
I just dropped by to say I admire you guys so much. I think it's my upbringing <Saudi girl -> Swiss school -> St Pauls Girls then Cambridge Uni>

I couldn't be a VET (!) I cannot tread on an ant without a pang of remorse ...aged 17, I cried when my dad took me horse racing / one whip of a horse was too much for me! Good Luck to you all! with your Vet med applications! :smile:

(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Suepp
Which HE couse did you do to get into Bristol please? Thank you

The access to science course from learn direct x
Original post by tllewellyn
The access to science course from learn direct x

Hi
can I ask you how hard it was to finish the access course? and how many GCSEs you had?
I want to do the access course as well, but I afraid that I might not be ready yet.
Reply 7
Original post by haresghasemi
Hi
can I ask you how hard it was to finish the access course? and how many GCSEs you had?
I want to do the access course as well, but I afraid that I might not be ready yet.

I did my GCSEs in 1999! And had C in maths and Biology, B in chemistry and Bs in English. There are lower boundaries for mature students sometimes but check each uni.
The access course wasn’t too bad. It’s a mix of essay work, presentations and question papers. Lots of help online from past students. The only nerve wracking part was you need a certain amount of distinctions and can only drop one or two to merit ( again check each uni ) . So waiting for each project to come back was stressful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending