The Student Room Group

Naming this ester

What would be the name of this Ester. Is the main functional group the ester is the suffix is -oate?

The structure is here:image.jpg
I’ve tried ethylbromopropanoate?? But will the functional group need any numbers assigned to it? I’m a bit confused ...
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sidd1
What would be the name of this Ester. Is the main functional group the ester is the suffix is -oate?

The structure is here:image.jpg
I’ve tried ethylbromopropanoate?? But will the functional group need any numbers assigned to it? I’m a bit confused ...

ethyl-3-bromopropanoate
Reply 2
Original post by charco
ethyl-3-bromopropanoate

How do you know it’s 3 bromo ?? Why do you count the carbons from where the carboxylic part starts and not from where ethyl group starts?
Original post by Sidd1
How do you know it’s 3 bromo ?? Why do you count the carbons from where the carboxylic part starts and not from where ethyl group starts?

In carboxylic acids the carbonyl group is always assigned #1
Reply 4
Original post by charco
In carboxylic acids the carbonyl group is always assigned #1

But this is an ester which also has an alkyl group attached so why isn’t that group also numbered? I don’t get why the carboxylic acid part is looked at separately.
Original post by Sidd1
But this is an ester which also has an alkyl group attached so why isn’t that group also numbered? I don’t get why the carboxylic acid part is looked at separately.

In esters there are two carbon chains and they are named separately.

1. moiety from alcohol + moiety from acid
Reply 6
Original post by charco
In esters there are two carbon chains and they are named separately.

1. moiety from alcohol + moiety from acid

Oh okay well thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest