The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I highly doubt that. This is because the % of students who get 8's and 9's is similar/the same as those who got A*s. It's all about the percentages. For an 8 to drop down to an A, more people would, therefore, be awarded 9's to even it out if that makes sense. Also, I doubt most med schools are that picky. However, it varies from Uni to uni so it's worth looking at the ones you're interested in. If anything like that were to happen, it would more likely be the University changing its individual requirements as opposed to exam boards lowering the quality of a grade 8
I moved to uk 10 years ago and I'm a bilingual. I have an English GCSE. does this still mean I'll l have to sit ILETS. Please help.

Thanks
If it specifically requires IELTS then you should right?
Original post by thebestnameever
If it specifically requires IELTS then you should right?

But now I'm British, I have an English GCSE, I have completed college with really good grades and currently studying a degree achieving a 1st. why am I still required to take Ilets?
Original post by Desimusic
I moved to uk 10 years ago and I'm a bilingual. I have an English GCSE. does this still mean I'll l have to sit ILETS. Please help.

Thanks

you can contact unis to be sure, but I know that for EU students studying IB or A levels in their country (both of which are conducted in English), they usually aren't required to sit IELTS, so I think you shouldn't be required as well
Original post by turquoisedaisy
I recently learnt from a webinar/live conference that medical schools that have minimum GCSE requirements either need a minimum of 4s or 5s in the core subjects or are looking for a certain number of A*s at GCSE. They said at the moment, both 8s and 9s are considered A*s (which is a little comforting). Is there any chance that in 2 years or so, they could step the requirements to 9s only?

Maybe. At the moment most think that an 8 is good enough. The issue is with Welsh applicants whose schools still use the old 'letter' grading system and I don't think have much intention of changing. Med schools would have to look at those applicants differently which will complicate admissions for them.
Hi, I'm a Scottish student applying for medicine 2021 standard entry with these stats:
6 A's at national 5
5 A's at higher
2880 Band 1 UCAT
I'm currently doing Advanced Highers in chemistry, biology and English

I'm applying to Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow but I'm undecided about my 4th choice. I was thinking about Queens University in Belfast however I don't have National 5 physics, I'm going to email the admissions to double check that this requirement still applies however I think that it will rule it out for me. I'm pretty unfamiliar with any of the English unis and was looking for suggestions where I would be a strong candidate.

I would also like to say I only recently joined TSR for the UCAT and medicine threads and the advice I have picked up has been amazing, especially since my schools hasn't provided any support and I'm not from a medical family, so thank you to everyone who replies and all the people who take the time to share their knowledge !
Original post by anon66354
Hi, I'm a Scottish student applying for medicine 2021 standard entry with these stats:
6 A's at national 5
5 A's at higher
2880 Band 1 UCAT
I'm currently doing Advanced Highers in chemistry, biology and English

I'm applying to Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow but I'm undecided about my 4th choice. I was thinking about Queens University in Belfast however I don't have National 5 physics, I'm going to email the admissions to double check that this requirement still applies however I think that it will rule it out for me. I'm pretty unfamiliar with any of the English unis and was looking for suggestions where I would be a strong candidate.

I would also like to say I only recently joined TSR for the UCAT and medicine threads and the advice I have picked up has been amazing, especially since my schools hasn't provided any support and I'm not from a medical family, so thank you to everyone who replies and all the people who take the time to share their knowledge !

Any reason why not St Andrews or Edinburgh (as I think you’d be fine for either of them as you have excellent stats, and free tuition since you’re Scottish)?

Otherwise I’d imagine you’d be a strong candidate at pretty much all UCAT unis - you’d be guaranteed an interview at Newcastle, Bristol, Sheffield and KCL just off the top of my head as unis that use UCAT heavily in scoring, and as I say you’ll find you can apply pretty much everywhere I think! Do some research and see which unis and courses you like the look of.
Reply 3668
Can you get into direct entry medicine with a 5 in IGCSE Chemistry but exceptional A levels (AAA-A*A*A*)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3669
Original post by helpfullonee
It’s different for every university. Check their entry requirements, if it’s not listed there (which is unlikely), just drop the admissions team an email and they’ll advise you on it.

Also remember, medicine is not all about grades, it’s about your experiences and personality too. I study medicine and I got BBB at A-Level, you just need to put in the extra effort and work to get there.

I checked it most don't have any requirements for IGCSE chemistry other than at least a 5, i'll email the admissions team though.
Which medical school did you get into? if that's not rude to ask.

Thanks for your help.
Original post by Khalid Al-Raisi
Can you get into direct entry medicine with a 5 in IGCSE Chemistry but exceptional A levels (AAA-A*A*A*)

It depends on the entry requirements of the individual med school - read the first post of this thread for a link containing an up-to-date Excel spreadsheet of all UK med schools' GCSE entry requirements.

Remember, one specification cannot overrule another. e.g. at a UCAT-heavy med school, you could have 12 A*s in GCSEs but if you have a low UCAT score you'll still be rejected. That's why it's important to apply strategically.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Reply 3671
Hopefully they’ll be able to help you! I applied to University of Leeds and University of Sheffield and got offers from both (I accepted Leeds) - I’ll be starting second year in September 😊 I did a foundation year though. Good luck with your applications!

Thank you, and best of luck to you in med school!
Reply 3672
I couldn't find the link can you please guide me to it?
Thank you.
Original post by Khalid Al-Raisi
I couldn't find the link can you please guide me to it?
Thank you.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=927126&d=1594334950

Reply 3674
thank you
It’s different for every university. Check their entry requirements, if it’s not listed there (which is unlikely), just drop the admissions team an email and they’ll advise you on it.

Also remember, medicine is not all about grades, it’s about your experiences and personality too. I study medicine and I got BBB at A-Level, you just need to put in the extra effort and work to get there.

But oyu presumably had WP flags, which do not apply to everyone, and lower cut offs and offers. If OP does not have these, they are highly unlikely to be accepted with grades like this
Yeah sure, but I’m just using it as an example of how grades are used in conjunction to other factors e.g. interview, BMAT/UCAT etc. There’s also the option of post-grad medicine, which some institutions will consider “with grades like this” :smile: (Given a first or 2:1 in an undergraduate degree as well of course).

You need minimum requirements in grades and to meet UCAT/BMAT/academic cut offs. Then interview is the primary determining factor for offer at all bar 3 med schools (where it is still 50%). You cannot compensate for grades that do not meet minimum cut off with other stats, and certainly not interview, as you would be rejected before you got to that point.
You got to interview as you met the requirement for a WP applicant, had you not done this, you would not have been interviewed, and somebody without those flags would have been rejected without even further consideration of their application if the med school set A level minimum requirements, or would almost certainly have been rejected on results day if they didn't. No amount of extra effort, experiences and personality would alter this.

Graduate Entry Medicine (Postgrad is something entirely different) would not look at somebody with just BBB A levels. They would need to have a degree, so it is an entirely different playing field.
Some A100s would also look at people with a degree, but OP was not talking about grads.......
Im going into my final year of my undergrad (psychology). I’ve recently been interested in going into medicine. I’ve spent a long time looking at both the graduate 4 year GAMSAT medicine course and the 5 year UCAT medicine course, and i’m not sure which one i’d have a better chance of getting in to. I have grade Cs in my GCSE science subjects and a B in both maths and english; i have 3 A levels (none of which are science based). Im on track to get a first in my undergrad. It seems as though my options are to spend a year getting bio and chem A levels and apply for the UCAT or revise science and apply for the GAMSAT? Some unis said that for the UCAT i need Bs in my science GCSEs though. I read a post saying that if you do your A levels after your degree then they don’t expect the same grades (AA), but i havent seen this information on the uni entry requirements. So far im leaning more towards the 4 year GAMSAT purely because I think I have more chance of getting in, but maybe im wrong? Any advice about any of this would be really useful!!!! Thanks.
Original post by Rsrsaint
...i’m not sure which one i’d have a better chance of getting in to.

5 year course - standard undergrad medicine is always, always less competitive compared to graduate entry medicine.

...So far im leaning more towards the 4 year GAMSAT purely because I think I have more chance of getting in, but maybe im wrong? Any advice about any of this would be really useful!!!! Thanks.

For some standard undergrad medicine courses, if you apply as a graduate you may be able to substitute your degree for A-Level requirements.

Applying to GEM will be easier (i.e. you'd need to do less work), but more competitive and you may not get in.

Reply 3679
Is 9888866 good enough for medicine?
(9 in physics)
(8 in math bio and chem)
I could only take 7 IGCSE's because I'm also doing another curriculum

Latest

Trending

Trending