The Student Room Group

Law firm rejections

Hi guys,

I am just seeking some advice on how to deal with constant rejections from law firms.

I successfully completed two vacation schemes in the summer last year, but sadly converted neither into TCs.

Since then, I have been applying for vacation schemes and TCs, but I have failed to get to an assessment centre, often being rejected post-app.

I was wondering whether the two vacation schemes without a TC could be a red flag for some law firms when reviewing my application.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 1
When do you graduate, Lawyer101?

Are you only applying to London firms?
Reply 2
Original post by Kerzen
When do you graduate, Lawyer101?

Are you only applying to London firms?

I graduated in 2019 with a high 2.1. and I have just completed my LLM, gaining a distinction.

Mainly, yes, although I have made some applications to regional firms.
Reply 4

I hadn't actually, but I shall definitely consider it! Thank you
Original post by Lawyer101
Hi guys,

I am just seeking some advice on how to deal with constant rejections from law firms.

I successfully completed two vacation schemes in the summer last year, but sadly converted neither into TCs.

Since then, I have been applying for vacation schemes and TCs, but I have failed to get to an assessment centre, often being rejected post-app.

I was wondering whether the two vacation schemes without a TC could be a red flag for some law firms when reviewing my application.

Thanks

Hi, Sorry to hear about this, I can completely sympathise with how tough it is.

I think its important to remember that you have vacation schemes which is more than alot of other applicants. It will certainly not be viewed negatively unless the firm is known for handing out all of its vac schemers a training contract and you were an outlier. I think the only way a vacation scheme can be seen differently is if the firms you have done them at are hugely different and then there could be questions about your commitment.

For example if you did a vacation scheme at Freshfield and now are applying to Hodge Jones & Allen then the partners could be under the impression you are using them as second fiddle. If that is the case then it is definitely worth explaining in your answers or cover letter WHY you have changed the type of firm.

Lastly its worth remembering that most students think that its them thats the issue when a lot of the times its mistakes they have made within their application which can be the reason. If you answered the questions poorly or made errors then its not going to help. Worth remembering that this year has been extremely tough for applicants and law firms and most firms have had to alter their recruitment process which may have meant less numbers at assessment centres.
Reply 6
Original post by username5375630
Hi, Sorry to hear about this, I can completely sympathise with how tough it is.

I think its important to remember that you have vacation schemes which is more than alot of other applicants. It will certainly not be viewed negatively unless the firm is known for handing out all of its vac schemers a training contract and you were an outlier. I think the only way a vacation scheme can be seen differently is if the firms you have done them at are hugely different and then there could be questions about your commitment.

For example if you did a vacation scheme at Freshfield and now are applying to Hodge Jones & Allen then the partners could be under the impression you are using them as second fiddle. If that is the case then it is definitely worth explaining in your answers or cover letter WHY you have changed the type of firm.

Lastly its worth remembering that most students think that its them thats the issue when a lot of the times its mistakes they have made within their application which can be the reason. If you answered the questions poorly or made errors then its not going to help. Worth remembering that this year has been extremely tough for applicants and law firms and most firms have had to alter their recruitment process which may have meant less numbers at assessment centres.

Hi, thank you for your reply.

That is reassuring to hear, as both of my vacation schemes were at commercial law firms and these are the main type of firms I continue to apply to.

Definitely, it has been a challenging year. Thank you for your advice with respect to proof reading etc, it is much appreciated.
Reply 7
Hi, thank you for your reply.

That is reassuring to hear, as both of my vacation schemes were at commercial law firms and these are the main type of firms I continue to apply to.

Definitely, it has been a challenging year. Thank you for your advice with respect to proof reading etc, it is much appreciated.

I was wondering whether it would be possible for you to look at other firms beyond commercial; I can't help feeling that commercial is a sector which is going to be particularly badly hit at the moment.

When I was at Law School, I met the Lord Mayor (the City) when I was at the Mansion House. He was a practising solicitor at the time and recommended Family to me; that might not be your cup of tea, though.

Family Law will always be very busy; sadly, economic catastrophe makes it even more so.
Hi guys,

Thanks

They tend to favour second years for Law and 3rd years for non law.
Are you now applying for TCs?
Two VCs should be enough plus whatever other legal experience you have.

How many rejections are you talking about and over what period?
What is your application to interview rate?

Just check your application from beginning to end as well as wehich firms you are targeting.
Was your LLM a real one or the LPC disguised one?
Reply 9
Original post by Kerzen
I was wondering whether it would be possible for you to look at other firms beyond commercial; I can't help feeling that commercial is a sector which is going to be particularly badly hit at the moment.

When I was at Law School, I met the Lord Mayor (the City) when I was at the Mansion House. He was a practising solicitor at the time and recommended Family to me; that might not be your cup of tea, though.

Family Law will always be very busy; sadly, economic catastrophe makes it even more so.

I am definitely open to other avenues, especially as you note that the commercial sector is likely to be badly hit.

I have work experience in family and discrimination law and as a result it could be a feasible option.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
They tend to favour second years for Law and 3rd years for non law.
Are you now applying for TCs?
Two VCs should be enough plus whatever other legal experience you have.

Just check your application from beginning to end as well as wehich firms you are targeting.
Was your LLM a real one or the LPC disguised one?

I have been applying for TCs and I have received some rejections, but I have also got through to video interviews for a couple.

In my third year I got to 4 ACs for vacation schemes, but I have not been successful in attending one since.

Thank you for your advice, it was an LLM in commercial law and not combined with the LPC.
I have been applying for TCs and I have received some rejections, but I have also got through to video interviews for a couple.

In my third year I got to 4 ACs for vacation schemes, but I have not been successful in attending one since.

Thank you for your advice, it was an LLM in commercial law and not combined with the LPC.

Where have you been applying?
Dud yoiu get feedback from ac?
Reply 12

No. Not all firms recruit from vac schemes. It's very unlikely it has anything to do with your rejections.

Vac Schemes are a really important opportunity to network and perhaps secure a TC (depending on the firm), but applicants often overrate their importance to applications. The value of the actual work experience they provide, in my experience, is debatable. Plenty of successful applicants don't have legal experience, but have other employment history which is often much more valuable or helps them stand out more. Applicants with vac schemes are ten-a-penny.

Most firms won't really care about the LLM, so they will be looking at your undergraduate grades (and A-Levels in some firms). They will also look at the other areas of your profile. What is the rest of your CV like?
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger
Where have you been applying?
Dud yoiu get feedback from ac?

The last year, I would say around 20 rejections if I was to combine both my vacation scheme and TC apps.
I have been applying mostly to commercial law firms in London.
It is difficult to say exactly, but it certainly is not great.

In relation to my ACs, I have received feedback and it usually relates to a poor performance in a case study exercise.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by RV3112
No. Not all firms recruit from vac schemes. It's very unlikely it has anything to do with your rejections.

Vac Schemes are a really important opportunity to network and perhaps secure a TC (depending on the firm), but applicants often overrate their importance to applications. The value of the actual work experience they provide, in my experience, is debatable. Plenty of successful applicants don't have legal experience, but have other employment history which is often much more valuable or helps them stand out more. Applicants with vac schemes are ten-a-penny.

Most firms won't really care about the LLM, so they will be looking at your undergraduate grades (and A-Levels in some firms). They will also look at the other areas of your profile. What is the rest of your CV like?

I appreciate this insight. My undergraduate is a high 2.1. from a RG Uni and I received good A-Level grades (A*A*A). The rest of my CV includes part-time employment, volunteering and legal experience.
er, they might be a flag, but you can explain it
i reapplied after failing a vac scheme and i was asked about it at interview a couple times but i was always clear and up front about why i got rejected and how i was working on improving myself (even if they didn't ask about the latter!)
sadly, you're going to have to apply either way. so while it's good to be informed about how strong and realistic your app is you cannot let this demotivate you...
The last year, I would say around 20 rejections if I was to combine both my vacation scheme and TC apps.
I have been applying mostly to commercial law firms in London.
It is difficult to say exactly, but it certainly is not great.

In relation to my ACs, I have received feedback and it usually relates to a poor performance in a case study exercise.

I dont think you are applying to enough firms.
I dont think you are applying wide enough.
You obviously need practice on the AC especially if more than one has pointed to poor case study exercises, which doesnt make much sense considering your degree. Find out where the missing marks are and practice.

Anywhere thats a weakness stop the leak.
Anywhere thats a strength build on it.

You need to keep creating chances. I think if you had tried harder, then you would have more opportunities. The market decides where you are in the food chain, so of its telling you no, then move lower or wider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending