The Student Room Group

At Winchester University, is steam blocked on their internet?

basically im wondering if i should take my pc or not and if gaming programmes will be blocked i wont bother. i may even not bother going to the uni either because it disgusts me so much that unis would block completely harmless apps
Original post by Lewiscccccccccc
basically im wondering if i should take my pc or not and if gaming programmes will be blocked i wont bother. i may even not bother going to the uni either because it disgusts me so much that unis would block completely harmless apps

Be sure to emphasise your disgust to IT. Perhaps get private accommodation where you can choose your own provider?
Post on the Winchester sub forum or maybe contact these people as they should know.
https://www.winchesterstudents.co.uk/groups/video-gaming-society
Given how many steam users literally have pictures of swastikas as avatars, I wouldn't blame them for blocking it.

That said I've never known steam, nor any other game available on other platforms legally to be blocked on any uni network I've used, including eduroam...
Doubt it, these things are not hard to bypass in a worst case scenario anyway. Universities are generally not as strict as schools since obviously you're living there and they can't expect all internet use to be educational.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Be sure to emphasise your disgust to IT. Perhaps get private accommodation where you can choose your own provider?
Post on the Winchester sub forum or maybe contact these people as they should know.
https://www.winchesterstudents.co.uk/groups/video-gaming-society

oh yes how ridiculous for me to want to be able to play a harmless videogame in my free time while paying money for their expensive accommodation
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
Doubt it, these things are not hard to bypass in a worst case scenario anyway. Universities are generally not as strict as schools since obviously you're living there and they can't expect all internet use to be educational.

Yeah that makes sense, it's just that I've seen a lot of people from other unis talking about how Steam is blocked for some ridiculous reason
Reply 6
I would very much doubt that they block anything, they'd have no reason to.

Winchester Uni look to be using Eduroam, which is not a service they manage personally. Eduroam is like a private WiFi company that is specifically targeted to unis, and is used across the country. I.E. you could go to one uni and use eduroam at another (sometimes).

Eduroam do not block Steam, or any other site as far as I'm aware.
Reply 7
Original post by ONatusch
I would very much doubt that they block anything, they'd have no reason to.

Winchester Uni look to be using Eduroam, which is not a service they manage personally. Eduroam is like a private WiFi company that is specifically targeted to unis, and is used across the country. I.E. you could go to one uni and use eduroam at another (sometimes).

Eduroam do not block Steam, or any other site as far as I'm aware.

Thanks but is Eduroam not something which effects wired connection (ethernet) then? Who would control what I can do via wired internet if so?
Original post by CCCLLL
oh yes how ridiculous for me to want to be able to play a harmless videogame in my free time while paying money for their expensive accommodation

Quite easy go private, then. Nobody forces you to rent from them.
I would imagine they are more bothered about network security, than your ping times.
Original post by _gcx

Tbf the responsibility of the network is not yours. If you break their internet policy, then they have the option to enforce it or not.
Original post by CCCLLL
Thanks but is Eduroam not something which effects wired connection (ethernet) then? Who would control what I can do via wired internet if so?

Wired connection is typically something handled by the university, but I can only speak for the uni I study at and work for. Typically there would be no restrictions or monitoring of network activity. It would be something that would cause student outrage and protest, so is not something an institution would implement lightly. You can feel safe that Steam will work.
Reply 11
Original post by ONatusch
Wired connection is typically something handled by the university, but I can only speak for the uni I study at and work for. Typically there would be no restrictions or monitoring of network activity. It would be something that would cause student outrage and protest, so is not something an institution would implement lightly. You can feel safe that Steam will work.

Thanks this has put my mind at ease
Original post by _gcx

Are there actually any unis that block Steam/gaming services? That sounds ridiculous...
Reply 13
Original post by GreenCub
Are there actually any unis that block Steam/gaming services? That sounds ridiculous...

Well on this very forum i have seen people saying how their unis decide to block steam and other platforms and ye it’s absolutely appalling

Quick Reply

Latest