The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Accommodation move

Hi
I accepted accommodation at Erasmus Park Hall and wish to move to Southampton as that is where I will be studying. I will try to come to an agreement with the university about a move but in case I cant move soon enough. How is it for students to live in Winchester and study in Southampton? How safe is the journey in the evenings and is it expensive to come and go everyday? Are there students who live in Winchester but study in Southampton?
Thank you
Original post by EileenValery
Hi
I accepted accommodation at Erasmus Park Hall and wish to move to Southampton as that is where I will be studying. I will try to come to an agreement with the university about a move but in case I cant move soon enough. How is it for students to live in Winchester and study in Southampton? How safe is the journey in the evenings and is it expensive to come and go everyday? Are there students who live in Winchester but study in Southampton?
Thank you

Hey!

As a student at the Winchester campus and a resident of Erasmus Park, I can totally relate to your situation. Let me give you the lowdown on living in Winchester and studying in Southampton. First off, don't worry about being the only one doing this. Loads of students choose to live in Winchester while studying at the University of Southampton, so you'll have company for sure!

When it comes to safety, the journey from Winchester to Southampton in the evenings is pretty chill. The public transport options like trains and buses are well-maintained and regularly checked. Of course, it's always smart to stay alert and aware of your surroundings, especially when traveling alone at night. But overall, Winchester and Southampton are both safe places.

Now, let's talk about the cost of commuting. It'll depend on how you choose to travel and how often. If you're using public transport every day, it can add up over time. But here's the good news: as a student living in University accommodation, you get free access to Unilink services. That means you can hop on the Unilink bus without paying a penny. Sweet deal, right? Starting from September 2023, the shuttle bus will be gone, but Unilink services will be extended to the Winchester campus. With this change, you should be looking at a travel time of around 45 minutes to 1 hour from Erasmus Park to Highfield Interchange.

If you've got any more questions or need more info, feel free to ask.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
On campus at the University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you for you answer, Priya!
It’s good to know it’s safe to travel and there are more people doing the same journey.
I did not realise when applying how far it was and the costs. Information I have from student account says students living in Winchester do not get free bus pass with Unilink - that’s only for students living in a Southampton campus.
I would like to move but I’m tied to the contract. I need the university to cancel my contract, which is hard to get, or find someone to either take over my contract or swap with me from a Southampton campus. Do you know a site where I could look for people to swap accommodation?
Thank you.
Original post by EileenValery
Thank you for you answer, Priya!
It’s good to know it’s safe to travel and there are more people doing the same journey.
I did not realise when applying how far it was and the costs. Information I have from student account says students living in Winchester do not get free bus pass with Unilink - that’s only for students living in a Southampton campus.
I would like to move but I’m tied to the contract. I need the university to cancel my contract, which is hard to get, or find someone to either take over my contract or swap with me from a Southampton campus. Do you know a site where I could look for people to swap accommodation?
Thank you.

Hey!
I want to inform you that starting from the batch 23-24, students in Winchester will indeed receive a free Unilink bus pass that extends all the way to Winchester. So, that's good news for you! Now, regarding your accommodation contract, I understand that you would like to explore options to either cancel your contract or find someone to swap accommodations with in Southampton. Here are a couple of suggestions:

Contact the University: Get in touch with your university's accommodation services or student support services. Explain your situation and see if they have any options available. They may have a waiting list for students looking to swap accommodations or be able to provide guidance on finding a suitable solution.

Online Platforms: Try using online platforms like The Student Room (TSR) or relevant Facebook groups to post about your situation and see if anyone is interested in swapping accommodations. These platforms are popular among students and can be a great way to connect with others who might be looking for a similar arrangement.

Local Student Groups: Engage with student communities, both online and offline. Join WhatsApp groups, social media groups, or any forums specific to your university or course. Sometimes, students might be seeking accommodation swaps within these communities, and you could find a potential match.

Remember, it's always a good idea to inform your university about any changes to your accommodation plans. They can provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding your specific situation. I hope these suggestions help you in finding a suitable solution. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions. Good luck with your accommodation search!

Best Wishes
Postgraduate Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!
I want to inform you that starting from the batch 23-24, students in Winchester will indeed receive a free Unilink bus pass that extends all the way to Winchester. So, that's good news for you! Now, regarding your accommodation contract, I understand that you would like to explore options to either cancel your contract or find someone to swap accommodations with in Southampton. Here are a couple of suggestions:

Contact the University: Get in touch with your university's accommodation services or student support services. Explain your situation and see if they have any options available. They may have a waiting list for students looking to swap accommodations or be able to provide guidance on finding a suitable solution.

Online Platforms: Try using online platforms like The Student Room (TSR) or relevant Facebook groups to post about your situation and see if anyone is interested in swapping accommodations. These platforms are popular among students and can be a great way to connect with others who might be looking for a similar arrangement.

Local Student Groups: Engage with student communities, both online and offline. Join WhatsApp groups, social media groups, or any forums specific to your university or course. Sometimes, students might be seeking accommodation swaps within these communities, and you could find a potential match.

Remember, it's always a good idea to inform your university about any changes to your accommodation plans. They can provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding your specific situation. I hope these suggestions help you in finding a suitable solution. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions. Good luck with your accommodation search!

Best Wishes
Postgraduate Ambassador

Thank you, that’s helpful. I’ll contact the university again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending