The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Whats staying at Erasmus Park as a Uni of Southampton student like?

For my accommodation, i got placed into Erasmus Park (Southampton was insurance and by the time i applied all the Southampton student halls had been taken), and seeing as it'll take at least 45mins-1hr to get to soton every day, im really worried it'll have an impact on my social life. Erasmus Park is more for students of Winchester Art students but Soton have told me theres no where else they can offer me. So i was wondering if any Soton students have been in this situation before and if so what was it like?
Have they offered to pay for a season ticket for the train for you? That used to always be offered to winchester based students who they couldn’t fit into winchester housing.

The train doesn’t take long at all
On campus at the University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Have they offered to pay for a season ticket for the train for you? That used to always be offered to winchester based students who they couldn’t fit into winchester housing.

The train doesn’t take long at all

no but they have offered a Unilink bus pass, but its nice to know the train doesn't take too long!
Original post by janeeta.b
no but they have offered a Unilink bus pass, but its nice to know the train doesn't take too long!

On the fast trains it's 7-8 minutes from Winchester to Soton Parkway. Then 15-20 minutes on the bus from Parkway to Highfield with buses every 10 minutes

You can get unlimited train travel between the 2 stations for £111 a month or 8 days of unlimited travel within a month for £50 (£6.25 per day) - or you can pay as you go - generally £10-12 a day for peak returns
https://www.southwesternrailway.com/buy-train-tickets/season-ticket-search-results
Original post by janeeta.b
For my accommodation, i got placed into Erasmus Park (Southampton was insurance and by the time i applied all the Southampton student halls had been taken), and seeing as it'll take at least 45mins-1hr to get to soton every day, im really worried it'll have an impact on my social life. Erasmus Park is more for students of Winchester Art students but Soton have told me theres no where else they can offer me. So i was wondering if any Soton students have been in this situation before and if so what was it like?

Hey!
I totally understand your concern about being placed in Erasmus Park and the potential impact on your social life, especially considering the commute time to Southampton.

Firstly, it's true that the commute time can be a bit challenging, taking 45 minutes to 1 hour each day. However, as you mentioned, Southampton is well-connected by trains, and that might be your best bet for a faster commute. Trains tend to be more reliable and efficient than other modes of transportation.

As for Erasmus Park being more geared towards Winchester Art students, keep in mind that university life often extends beyond your immediate accommodation. You'll have plenty of opportunities to socialize on campus, attend events, join clubs, and make friends in various settings. Southampton is a vibrant city with a diverse student population, so you're bound to find like-minded individuals even if you're not living in a hall primarily for Southampton students.

Additionally, many students build strong social connections through their courses, so don't hesitate to engage with classmates during lectures, seminars, or group projects. This can be a great way to form bonds and create a social circle that extends beyond your accommodation.

If you have any more questions or concerns, feel free to reach out. Welcome to Southampton, and best of luck with your studies!

Best Wishes
Priya:smile:
Student Ambassador
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!
I totally understand your concern about being placed in Erasmus Park and the potential impact on your social life, especially considering the commute time to Southampton.

Firstly, it's true that the commute time can be a bit challenging, taking 45 minutes to 1 hour each day. However, as you mentioned, Southampton is well-connected by trains, and that might be your best bet for a faster commute. Trains tend to be more reliable and efficient than other modes of transportation.

As for Erasmus Park being more geared towards Winchester Art students, keep in mind that university life often extends beyond your immediate accommodation. You'll have plenty of opportunities to socialize on campus, attend events, join clubs, and make friends in various settings. Southampton is a vibrant city with a diverse student population, so you're bound to find like-minded individuals even if you're not living in a hall primarily for Southampton students.

Additionally, many students build strong social connections through their courses, so don't hesitate to engage with classmates during lectures, seminars, or group projects. This can be a great way to form bonds and create a social circle that extends beyond your accommodation.

If you have any more questions or concerns, feel free to reach out. Welcome to Southampton, and best of luck with your studies!

Best Wishes
Priya:smile:
Student Ambassador

OP has been living in winchester for 2 years now (assuming they haven’t switched to soton halls).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending