The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2021 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abz231
yeah as long as you're serious about med why not? Your GCSE's are good. Are you predicted AAA? And forget about this thread, it's not representative at all

ok thanks i haven't done my mocks yet btw so i don't know what my predicted grades are yet
Original post by inara_30
hey guys my ucat score is less than 2600 and for gcses i got 7 a*-a, 3 b and A in add maths should i apply for medicine because i feel like these results are not good enough looking at how smart everyone is on this thread

last year i got 2580, 1A* 7A's 3B's and a C and still got interviews from Plymouth and manchester.
I was wondering whether I should put KCL or QMUL for biomed as my medicine backup.
Which one is less competitive to get into?

Also, if you have 2 medicine offers and one biomed, does biomed count as your insurance choice or can you have the 2 medicine as firm and insurance plus biomed as a backup?
Original post by united4
I was wondering whether I should put KCL or QMUL for biomed as my medicine backup.
Which one is less competitive to get into?

Also, if you have 2 medicine offers and one biomed, does biomed count as your insurance choice or can you have the 2 medicine as firm and insurance plus biomed as a backup?

You can - and absolutely should - put the two medicine offers as your firm and insurance. You can't have a third choice so you would give up the biomed offer, but you're obviously doing this so you can increase your chances of getting into medicine.

I don't think there's a massive difference in competition for getting into biomed at KCL vs QMUL. KCL might be more competitive but QMUL's biomed degree is probably the more natural choice for students keen on graduate entry medicine/dentistry, given their links with Barts and The London and how open they are about being used as a springboard for medicine and dentistry :tongue:

You could always put in a FOI request for their applicant numbers if you're really keen, but I think either one would be fine if you're predicted the right grades for medicine.
Original post by Good bloke
Yes, that would make sense, wouldn't it? You have a confirmed offer to study the most competitive subject possible and you think about throwing ot over, risking the applications cycle again next year when it will be far more competitive and the odds are you won't get an offer? You will be competing with next year's cohort who will be offering real exam results untainted by this year's enormous grade inflation and unearned "success", as well as the unsatisfied from this year.

This is nature's way of excluding people who cannot make sensible and rational descisions from the medical profession.

I need to chime in here.. "grade inflation and unearned success" is extremely offensive to some. My son achieved 3A*1A at A level this year and I firmly believe he deserved each of those, in fact I'm a bit miffed he didn't get a 4th A* as it was in French and he lives and breathes in French. He works extremely hard all year round completing homework to a ridiculous standard and he scored at least 30 marks above the A in all his 4 AS levels. I sincerely hope the admissions advisors in the unis are not of the same opinion as you that these grades are undeserved. I'm not disputing some student's grades may have been inflated but it is simply not fair on those that are deserving to generalise so harshly.
Original post by Interfering Mum
it is simply not fair on those that are deserving to generalise so harshly.

We must disagree then. In general, A-level grades would have been grossly inflated even with the moderation that was abandoned. Without it they are, simply, unbelievable.
We must disagree then. In general, A-level grades would have been grossly inflated even with the moderation that was abandoned. Without it they are, simply, unbelievable.

I'm happy to agree to disagree. I do hear where you're coming from and even in our family and a few others we know, we have been left feeling that our boys achieved grades (that they 100% deserved lol) don't seem as impressive now. Hopefully the powers that be will have a quick glance over the previous result record of the students applying and acquire some sort of idea whether or not the grades are to be believed. Common sense and lots of luck seems to be what we are relying on this year!
Hi, I’m not sure where to apply.

My stats are gcses - 5A*s, 2As, 1B 1C
A level predicted A*A*A
Ucat 640 average Band 1.

I wanted to apply to Southampton, Sheffield, Manchester , but my ucat is much lower than I hoped 😭. I don’t know what to do now, my gcses are also terrible.
Original post by Anonymous778

A level predicted A*A*A
Ucat 640 average Band 1.

I wanted to apply to Southampton, Sheffield, Manchester , but my ucat is much lower than I hoped 😭. I don’t know what to do now, my gcses are also terrible.

Your GCSEs aren't terrible lol and for your UCAT look for unis with low thresholds like Plymouth etc and at least you got band 1 and also why not try the BMAT it will be in November and I am sure you have the requirements to apply
This is nature's way of excluding people who cannot make sensible and rational descisions from the medical profession.

Rude and unnecessary comment. They were only asking for advice
Original post by Anonymous778

A level predicted A*A*A
Ucat 640 average Band 1.

Just apply strategically also ur gcses are far from terrible but I'm sure you already knew that lol
Original post by toiretre
Just apply strategically also ur gcses are far from terrible but I'm sure you already knew that lol

I dislike when someone calls their GCSEs terrible its so demoralising for others I'm applying for next year and It lowers my confidence when I got 2 A* 2 As the rest Bs its not nice when people try to say good results are bad
Original post by lil longlegs
I dislike when someone calls their GCSEs terrible its so demoralising for others I'm applying for next year and It lowers my confidence when I got 2 A* 2 As the rest Bs its not nice when people try to say good results are bad

I’m so sorry I didn’t mean to offend you at all. I mean I feel like they’re bad compared to the average med students usually have around 10A*s.
Original post by Abz231
Rude and unnecessary comment. They were only asking for advice

Which they received. And it was of the very best.
Which they received. And it was of the very best.

relax urself there is no need to act up there r polite ways of saying things and it looks like u got too much attitude pipe down
(edited 3 years ago)
I need to chime in here.. "grade inflation and unearned success" is extremely offensive to some. My son achieved 3A*1A at A level this year and I firmly believe he deserved each of those, in fact I'm a bit miffed he didn't get a 4th A* as it was in French and he lives and breathes in French. He works extremely hard all year round completing homework to a ridiculous standard and he scored at least 30 marks above the A in all his 4 AS levels. I sincerely hope the admissions advisors in the unis are not of the same opinion as you that these grades are undeserved. I'm not disputing some student's grades may have been inflated but it is simply not fair on those that are deserving to generalise so harshly.

Congratulations! Well deserved.

Is he planning to do the 4th A level exam in the Autumn to make them a perfect A*'s
Original post by SpaceTravel
Congratulations! Well deserved.

Is he planning to do the 4th A level exam in the Autumn to make them a perfect A*'s

Haha no he's not that bothered! I think he can't really complain with what he got but thank you!
Original post by _annonymouse
Hey, everyone.
I’ve got an offer to study medicine this year, but I was considering taking a gap year and reapplying next year. My A-Level results are A* A A but I was considering retaking the exams in the two subjects in which I got As and try to get A*s. The thing is the uni which I’ve got an offer to study at isn’t a Russell Group and I don’t feel satisfied going there. I’ve got until Thursday to decline my offer. I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and if it would be worth doing.

This is a very bad idea - I cannot emphasise enough just how little the Russell Group matters when it comes to medical schools. If you took this decision it would be for entirely the wrong reasons and there is no guarantee that you will get another offer next year, particularly as Good bloke says in the midst of all of this uncertainty re grades and university places.

DOI: RG medical school graduate, no one has ever given a monkey's or even asked! Absolutely no prizes or special treatment handed out for attending a RG university.

I’m a year 13. (Or was ) And I don’t personally find it offensive. At the end of the day, the number of A* and As went so much higher this year. I’m not talking about ur son in particular but for sure there are people with 3 A*s or even 5 A*s who under exam conditions and with having to prepare and study for an exam would not have achieved those grades. No one can say who those students are. Your son might have gotten 3 A* A or he might haven’t gotten 1 A* and 3 As. Who knows tbh and I think it sucks but yeah our year of results doesn’t really hold the same value as previous years in all honesty.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending