The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A Level Further Mathematics paper options

Hello

First-time posting. I am starting A level Further Mathematics as a mature student and I plan to do it by self study, just paying for the exams and marking.

I am having a little trouble choosing the paper options

Decision Mathematics 1
Further Mechanics 1
Further Statistics 1
Further Pure Mathematics 1

Decision Mathematics 2
Further Mechanics 2
Further Statistics 2
Further Pure Mathematics 2

I understand you cannot just do any combination ref p83 of 2017 specification

I find them all interesting and useful. I would like to move on to a degree in either physics, maths, computer science or combination of. Do some universities specifically required certain Further Mathematics options for their courses?

What did or are you choosing a why?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I think no universities require any combination other than the other. Some will encourage certain units for some courses, but school students have no choice in the matter, so I don't think any university actually asks for a specific topic.

You generally only do two of these, I think. You'd do core1+2, and then on top you can pick any 2 of the options (eg decision 1, further pure 1).

It would be in your best interest to choose whichever is easiest (to you). If you're studying physics as well, further mechanics 1 has a bunch of overlap, so taking that will be less work for you. For your other option, depends on subjects/interests really.
Reply 2
Original post by Reape
but school students have no choice in the matter

oh right, so not everyone gets a choice?

Many thanks, I think you’re right choose what I feel is easier and/or overlaps another subject.
Original post by Reape
I think no universities require any combination other than the other. Some will encourage certain units for some courses, but school students have no choice in the matter, so I don't think any university actually asks for a specific topic.

You generally only do two of these, I think. You'd do core1+2, and then on top you can pick any 2 of the options (eg decision 1, further pure 1).

It would be in your best interest to choose whichever is easiest (to you). If you're studying physics as well, further mechanics 1 has a bunch of overlap, so taking that will be less work for you. For your other option, depends on subjects/interests really.

Incorrect, many schools offer students the choice of their modules, i.e. some classes pupils will vote etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Panjsuce
Incorrect, many schools offer students the choice of their modules, i.e. some classes pupils will vote etc.

Fair, correction that most* won't. School will decide based on teaching capacity/strengths/other reasons. I never had a choice in mine, for example. So unis generally won't require specific modules, since it'd be unfair to a large number of students.
Original post by Reape
Fair, correction that most* won't. School will decide based on teaching capacity/strengths/other reasons. I never had a choice in mine, for example. So unis generally won't require specific modules, since it'd be unfair to a large number of students.

Yeah I agree, it usually doesn’t really matter on a personal level what you study anyway. We do (our school) have to enter our modules onto ucas however :frown:
Original post by Reape

That isn't true in all schools and certainly not in mine - a state school - we offer any combination.
Original post by apcstudent

Many thanks, I think you’re right choose what I feel is easier and/or overlaps another subject.

Decision would be useful for computing -

Have you found this website? It has excellent resources: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main
Original post by Panjsuce

We offer all of them - state school - I have people doing more than one option in my group when we can't regroup students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending