The Student Room Group

what set of gcse results are better?

ok I really do not want to sound arrogant in any way by asking this question, I understand that lots of people have better gcse results than me, the purpose of this post is in no way to flaunt my gcse results as there were several subjects I didnt do amazingly well in, I just genuinely want to get to the bottom of this.

My friend seems to think - as do quite a few people - that his gcse results are 'better' than mine. We have never had any sort of disagreement over this as we were both very happy with our results and quite frankly what is the point in arguing over that?

Basically, the reason he believes he did better than me is because he got 2 more A-A* grades than me. I had 11 A-A* grades while he had 13. However I actually had 1 more A* than him despite having less A-A* grades. My argument is (and as far as im aware this is a fact for all universities) universities will only look at your best 9 gcse grades. Certainly the ones I have seen, anyway. Therefore, as long as you get at least 9 A-A* grades then any additional a-a* grades are effectively irrelevant. So, as we both achieved at least 9-A-A* grades I believe the matter comes down to who did best within those 9 A -A*. Now, within these 9 subjects, we essentially had the exact same results except he had an A in chemistry whilst i had an A*. thus meaning I had an 1 more A star. Once again, I apologise for any arrogance that has come across here, it definitely isnt my intention. As im reading this im making myself feel sick with how petty this whole post is lol, but i am still interested to here what other people think as this is something that has been loosely on my mind for 2 years. (we got these results in 2018)

so does anyone have any insight on this? if you believe im wrong please feel free to say im open to any feedback.

P.S in these two years my friend and I have probably discussed this on less than 5 occasions so it really isnt as big a deal as im making out lol, jus curious.

thanks
If you are talking about who had more impressive results, then your friend did. If you are asking who has more useful results, then it just depends on the uni and the course
Reply 2
Original post by Mrepic Foulger
If you are talking about who had more impressive results, then your friend did. If you are asking who has more useful results, then it just depends on the uni and the course

yeah im only talking about how useful the results are as I guess thats the only thing that matters right? In terms of how impressive they are yeah i get that his are. Also sorry something I completely forgot to mention is that when we were doing gcses we were both aiming to do medical/dental related courses which obviously put a lot of focus on chemistry.
Original post by Bvbfan
yeah im only talking about how useful the results are as I guess thats the only thing that matters right? In terms of how impressive they are yeah i get that his are. Also sorry something I completely forgot to mention is that when we were doing gcses we were both aiming to do medical/dental related courses which obviously put a lot of focus on chemistry.

What matters is up to you. And again, it just depends on the uni
Reply 4
What matters is up to you. And again, it just depends on the uni

could you elaborate on that? I knew before i took my gcses that medical universities never look beyond your best 9 results so i strategically only revised properly on about 10 subjects, and i put like 3-4 subjects on the back seat. The only grades he did better than me in were subjects that arent all that useful. like short courses etc. yes they may be impressive to use your words but no uni is gonna look at that.
This is a interesting topic. The question is hard to answer however. I think that you need to consider things like exam adjustments, dyslexia and dyscalculia as well. For some candidates like me, a 1 in their weakest subject for example math is enough to see them onto whatever is coming next in terms of study or work options. But for the more all rounder candidates then I think that expecting at least a three in every single subject is okay. It depends.
Original post by Bvbfan
could you elaborate on that? I knew before i took my gcses that medical universities never look beyond your best 9 results so i strategically only revised properly on about 10 subjects, and i put like 3-4 subjects on the back seat. The only grades he did better than me in were subjects that arent all that useful. like short courses etc. yes they may be impressive to use your words but no uni is gonna look at that.

Some unis will look at more than 9 gcses, some won't.
Reply 7
Some unis will look at more than 9 gcses, some won't.

such as? i didnt put a ton of research into it but i have never come across a uni that looks at more than 9 of your best gcses. most people only do 10 different subjects lol.
Original post by Bvbfan
ok I really do not want to sound arrogant in any way by asking this question, I understand that lots of people have better gcse results than me, the purpose of this post is in no way to flaunt my gcse results as there were several subjects I didnt do amazingly well in, I just genuinely want to get to the bottom of this.

My friend seems to think - as do quite a few people - that his gcse results are 'better' than mine. We have never had any sort of disagreement over this as we were both very happy with our results and quite frankly what is the point in arguing over that?

Basically, the reason he believes he did better than me is because he got 2 more A-A* grades than me. I had 11 A-A* grades while he had 13. However I actually had 1 more A* than him despite having less A-A* grades. My argument is (and as far as im aware this is a fact for all universities) universities will only look at your best 9 gcse grades. Certainly the ones I have seen, anyway. Therefore, as long as you get at least 9 A-A* grades then any additional a-a* grades are effectively irrelevant. So, as we both achieved at least 9-A-A* grades I believe the matter comes down to who did best within those 9 A -A*. Now, within these 9 subjects, we essentially had the exact same results except he had an A in chemistry whilst i had an A*. thus meaning I had an 1 more A star. Once again, I apologise for any arrogance that has come across here, it definitely isnt my intention. As im reading this im making myself feel sick with how petty this whole post is lol, but i am still interested to here what other people think as this is something that has been loosely on my mind for 2 years. (we got these results in 2018)

so does anyone have any insight on this? if you believe im wrong please feel free to say im open to any feedback.

P.S in these two years my friend and I have probably discussed this on less than 5 occasions so it really isnt as big a deal as im making out lol, jus curious.

thanks

Bruh im struggling to see the 'several subjects you didn't do amazingly well in'. I mean for real you got 11 A-A*'s think of all the people who struggle to get 5 pass grades :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest