The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

english at ucl

hey guys,

i’m in year 11 right now , just finished our first set of mocks before our actual GCSES. i really hope to get into english at UCL but i heard it’s very competitive. here are my grades:

english - 8+,8+
maths 4+
science - 5,5
geography - 7+
business - 7+
media - 8
sociology - 9
turkish - 8

(the + means i was a few marks away from the next grade)

i would really like advice as to which grades to improve. i wish to get into marketing, working my way up to become a marketing director, so doing an english degree is something i enjoy and is taken by many marketers and business executives.
please let me know if UCL would offer me a place, just based on my grades.

i wish to take english literature, economics and media studies/sociology for my a levels.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
i think all programmes at ucl require at least a 5 in english language and maths so you may want to focus on that! honestly gcses are only a part of your application so don’t overly stress about them in terms of future uni applications - a good set will likely boost your application but there is no way of knowing if you will get in or not based just on your gcse grades as they probably mostly focus on personal statement, interview, and predicted grades. you may want to work towards achieving their gcse requirements, but apart from that gcses really are only a small part of an applicant’s academic profile. i’d wait until sixth form to start thinking about uni :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
hey guys,

i’m in year 11 right now , just finished our first set of mocks before our actual GCSES. i really hope to get into english at UCL but i heard it’s very competitive. here are my grades:

english - 8+,8+
maths 4+
science - 5,5
geography - 7+
business - 7+
media - 8
sociology - 9
turkish - 8

i would really like advice as to which grades to improve. i wish to get into marketing, working my way up to become a marketing director, so doing an english degree is something i enjoy and is taken by many marketers and business executives.

also agree with the other person replying to this, going off gcse results is extremely difficult as admission officers in some courses may look at it as an indication of continuity in achievement whereas others may not require it at all. for example, i got an offer for english for next year and received lower gcse results than yours so it's not entirely relevant as your personal statement and predicted A-level results will say a lot more about your academic development. however i would say that with unis like ucl and most russell group/ higher ranking unis, they will always always look for someone who has a genuine interest in the subject, so make sure that you are doing it because you love it, not strictly because it might help your future career
hey guys,

english - 8+,8+
maths 4+
science - 5,5
geography - 7+
business - 7+
media - 8
sociology - 9
turkish - 8

As noted, I believe UCl require a minimum of 5 in GCSE Maths. If you don't have that you would normally be rejected immediately as it's a minimum requirement of the university for all courses to my knowledge. So I would recommend retaking maths to get a 5. Otherwise I don't think UCL put a huge amount of emphasis on GCSEs?

I'd also note that English literature really has nothing to do with marketing and it's largely incidental that people in marketing have studied English lit. Literary analysis doesn't have much in common with marketing. Unless you actually want to spend 3 years analysing Chaucer, Shakespeare etc, don't do an English lit degree. You really need to love literary analysis to get through that - even just to get through the A-level.
Reply 5
hey guys,

english - 8+,8+
maths 4+
science - 5,5
geography - 7+
business - 7+
media - 8
sociology - 9
turkish - 8

You need a 6 at English GCSE to do English at UCL. For arts and humanities at University no one really looks at your GCSE's as long as you hit the requirements, and you are already on track to getting higher than that in English, so you will be fine. But you will need to pump Maths up by one grade. Just smash those A Levels in a couple years, because thats what truly matters, and UCL will want all A's.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/english-ba
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
As noted, I believe UCl require a minimum of 5 in GCSE Maths. If you don't have that you would normally be rejected immediately as it's a minimum requirement of the university for all courses to my knowledge. So I would recommend retaking maths to get a 5. Otherwise I don't think UCL put a huge amount of emphasis on GCSEs?

I'd also note that English literature really has nothing to do with marketing and it's largely incidental that people in marketing have studied English lit. Literary analysis doesn't have much in common with marketing. Unless you actually want to spend 3 years analysing Chaucer, Shakespeare etc, don't do an English lit degree. You really need to love literary analysis to get through that - even just to get through the A-level.

could not have said it better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending