The Student Room Group

Finance vs Engineering for Investment Banking

Want to go into Sales and Trading IB, or M&A in a IB, or Management Consulting when graduate. Want to do Engineering as keeps options open, but Finance might be easier to get into these areas.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

If I go down Engineering Route will apply for Engineering at Warwick and UCL as main two.

If I go down Finance Route will apply for Finance at LSE, Statistics, Economics and Finance at UCL, and Accounting and Finance at Warwick.

Which out of these two will keep my options open but also allow me the best option to pursue career in Sales and Trading in a IB, or M&A in a IB, or Management Consulting.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Hello?
Reply 3
Bump
Original post by ndbank
Bump

Both degrees are quite good but, if by keeping your options open you mean finance related jobs, I would definitely go with a Economics or Finance degree as it relates to Sales and Trading in a IB, or M&A in a IB, or Management Consulting ect. Would definitely not choose accounting and finance for it. You will probably find you have the best prospects gunning for Economics at LSE. Good luck man!
Your degree will have little to no benefit on any of those roles - you can very easily learn what you need to learn independently. It will come down 99% to what kind of experience you've managed to get. Seek as many internships/insight days/spring weeks as possible.
Original post by xSkyFire
Your degree will have little to no benefit on any of those roles - you can very easily learn what you need to learn independently. It will come down 99% to what kind of experience you've managed to get. Seek as many internships/insight days/spring weeks as possible.

^^^ this too
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by CertBroly19
Both degrees are quite good but, if by keeping your options open you mean finance related jobs, I would definitely go with a Economics or Finance degree as it relates to Sales and Trading in a IB, or M&A in a IB, or Management Consulting ect. Would definitely not choose accounting and finance for it. You will probably find you have the best prospects gunning for Economics at LSE. Good luck man!

Thanks a lot for your reply. When I said keep my options open, it was more with regard to engineering as well as finance, as by the time I graduate I have no idea how the job market will be with regard to finance related jobs! Thanks a lot for your advice though!
Reply 8
^^^ this too

Very helpful to know! Thanks a lot! I hear that getting internships at investment banks is extremely difficult though, would you have any advice on how to secure one? Thanks a lot! 👍
Reply 9

Why not accounting & finance
Original post by lolarope
Why not accounting & finance

He literally said finance. But anyway degree is pretty close to irrelevant for getting a finance role. The only preference is STEM for S&T/quant roles.
Reply 11
These are all lower tier unis but Southampton/ Birmingham/ Manchester/ Loughborough for MO/BO roles Which order would you rank them? Some variation of Accounting And finance at all of them. Thanks
Original post by kyrasb
These are all lower tier unis but Southampton/ Birmingham/ Manchester/ Loughborough for MO/BO roles Which order would you rank them? Some variation of Accounting And finance at all of them. Thanks

Probably Manny/Lboro neck and neck then Birmingham then Southampton.
Reply 13
Original post by anonuser99
Probably Manny/Lboro neck and neck then Birmingham then Southampton.

Thank you how far off is Birmingham from Manchester
Original post by kyrasb
Thank you how far off is Birmingham from Manchester

Not 100% but I don't think it's that far if we're talking MO/BO roles.
Reply 15
Original post by anonuser99
Not 100% but I don't think it's that far if we're talking MO/BO roles.

Thanks, manny or Leeds ?
Original post by kyrasb
Thanks, manny or Leeds ?

doesnt matter
Original post by ndbank
Want to go into Sales and Trading IB, or M&A in a IB, or Management Consulting when graduate. Want to do Engineering as keeps options open, but Finance might be easier to get into these areas.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

If I go down Engineering Route will apply for Engineering at Warwick and UCL as main two.

If I go down Finance Route will apply for Finance at LSE, Statistics, Economics and Finance at UCL, and Accounting and Finance at Warwick.

Which out of these two will keep my options open but also allow me the best option to pursue career in Sales and Trading in a IB, or M&A in a IB, or Management Consulting.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Don't know if you've already made your decision, but I 100% recommend you should take engineering.

You can apply to all finance jobs with engineering, and will have an edge over finance students for S&T. The vast majority of S&T grads these days come from eng/compsci backgrounds, and you won't be disadvantaged for IB... only upside, no downside.
Reply 18
Original post by Buttmuffin
Don't know if you've already made your decision, but I 100% recommend you should take engineering.

You can apply to all finance jobs with engineering, and will have an edge over finance students for S&T. The vast majority of S&T grads these days come from eng/compsci backgrounds, and you won't be disadvantaged for IB... only upside, no downside.

Hi thanks a lot for your reply. I have indeed applied to engineering courses instead of the finance one, for those exact reasons you've pointed out :wink:
Original post by ndbank
Hi thanks a lot for your reply. I have indeed applied to engineering courses instead of the finance one, for those exact reasons you've pointed out :wink:

Good job :smile: see you in the financial industry in a couple of years haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending