The Student Room Group

University of Manchester vs Fordham University

I'm an international student who got accepted into both unis for Finance. I'm having a hard time considering which one to attend for undergraduate. Given that the cost of living and studying in both universities is the same which one should I attend. Thanks a lot !
Original post by Trần Khang
I'm an international student who got accepted into both unis for Finance. I'm having a hard time considering which one to attend for undergraduate. Given that the cost of living and studying in both universities is the same which one should I attend. Thanks a lot !

Which country do you intend to work upon graduation? What specific role do you intend to go into upon graduation?

To my knowledge, you don't need a degree in finance to work in finance in the UK or US. Having said that, for specific roles you would ideally have an undergrad in a quantitative subject e.g. engineering, physics, maths. In the US, you would need to have done enough accredited accounting modules in order to study for a CMA or CPA, but you don't have such requirements in the UK.

To work in any other country in finance e.g. your home country, I am not entirely sure.

Whilst Manchester is not exactly the top end university, it's still targeted by a number of finance firms. I am not sure about Fordham, as it's usually the Ivy League universities that get targeted.

As far as I know, Manchester has numerous options for modules (compared to pretty much any other university in the country; sometimes I think it has more options for any of their courses than for those studying Natural Science degrees). Manchester's options/classes for finance would very likely outnumber Fordham's. Fordham's undergrad should allow you to pick pretty much any class that you want, so long you concentrate on a major (and possibly a minor) in your second/third year, as per the US education system (if memory serves). If you are determined to do a degree in finance, I think Manchester would work out better than Fordham (but that's based on my knowlege on the US higher education system).
In terms of quality of content, I think under the US system it heavily depends on where you study. In the UK, this is not so much although it does factor in; in the UK the content for specific types of degrees should more or less be roughly the same and be equaliy demanding for the specific subject (but that's a broad generalisation).

Fordham's degree is 4 years and Manchester's is 3.

I'm surprised the cost of living and cost of studying at Fordham is the same as that of Manchester; I would have guessed Fordham to be significantly more expensive due to its location. Having said that, NY is a significantly better location than Manchester.

I'm biased so I would instantly say Manchester is better than Fordham, but you should get a second opinion on this.
Reply 2
Fordham University is a US private Jesuit research university. Its not exactly 'well known'.

Go to Manchester.
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
Which country do you intend to work upon graduation? What specific role do you intend to go into upon graduation?

To my knowledge, you don't need a degree in finance to work in finance in the UK or US. Having said that, for specific roles you would ideally have an undergrad in a quantitative subject e.g. engineering, physics, maths. In the US, you would need to have done enough accredited accounting modules in order to study for a CMA or CPA, but you don't have such requirements in the UK.

To work in any other country in finance e.g. your home country, I am not entirely sure.

Whilst Manchester is not exactly the top end university, it's still targeted by a number of finance firms. I am not sure about Fordham, as it's usually the Ivy League universities that get targeted.

As far as I know, Manchester has numerous options for modules (compared to pretty much any other university in the country; sometimes I think it has more options for any of their courses than for those studying Natural Science degrees). Manchester's options/classes for finance would very likely outnumber Fordham's. Fordham's undergrad should allow you to pick pretty much any class that you want, so long you concentrate on a major (and possibly a minor) in your second/third year, as per the US education system (if memory serves). If you are determined to do a degree in finance, I think Manchester would work out better than Fordham (but that's based on my knowlege on the US higher education system).
In terms of quality of content, I think under the US system it heavily depends on where you study. In the UK, this is not so much although it does factor in; in the UK the content for specific types of degrees should more or less be roughly the same and be equaliy demanding for the specific subject (but that's a broad generalisation).

Fordham's degree is 4 years and Manchester's is 3.

I'm surprised the cost of living and cost of studying at Fordham is the same as that of Manchester; I would have guessed Fordham to be significantly more expensive due to its location. Having said that, NY is a significantly better location than Manchester.

I'm biased so I would instantly say Manchester is better than Fordham, but you should get a second opinion on

Thank you a lot for yr reply. I intend to be investment banking role and want to work in both of these countries. I hear from other people that if you want to learn finance, come to NYC which has all the elite professors, speakers in this related field, and also Wall Street for u to come and see how the system and people work in this industry. What do u think abt that?
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Fordham University is a US private Jesuit research university. Its not exactly 'well known'.

Go to Manchester.

Thank you sincerely for yr reply. Do you think that the location of Fordham (NYC) can beat the reputation and the academic performance of UoM? And in which city do u think there have more job opportunities?
Original post by Trần Khang
Thank you a lot for yr reply. I intend to be investment banking role and want to work in both of these countries. I hear from other people that if you want to learn finance, come to NYC which has all the elite professors, speakers in this related field, and also Wall Street for u to come and see how the system and people work in this industry. What do u think abt that?

If you want to work in investment banking, you would be looking at top end universities, not just any university in the locale.
Bear Stern at NYU is probably a better choice than Fordham. LSE is probably a more favoured choice than Manchester.
Oxbridge, Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc. world ranking top end universities.

Once you get in, you would need to network as much as you can on top of getting superb grades and doing relevant extra curriculars for the area of investment banking that you want to get into. You woud also want to do relevant internships.
You should really apply only for the type of role you want, not just any role in investment banking.
Reply 6
Original post by MindMax2000
If you want to work in investment banking, you would be looking at top end universities, not just any university in the locale.
Bear Stern at NYU is probably a better choice than Fordham. LSE is probably a more favoured choice than Manchester.
Oxbridge, Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc. world ranking top end universities.

Once you get in, you would need to network as much as you can on top of getting superb grades and doing relevant extra curriculars for the area of investment banking that you want to get into. You woud also want to do relevant internships.
You should really apply only for the type of role you want, not just any role in investment banking.

Thank you very much for yr reply. It will be very useful advice for my future career

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending