The Student Room Group

Police: Sixth-leading cause of death for young black men

Scroll to see replies

Is cause number one other black men?
Reply 41
Original post by jackmarshal757
Is cause number one other black men?

No, cause number three is homicide from both black and white males.
Original post by LoveAmore
No, cause number three is homicide from both black and white males.

So I’m interested to know what the number one cause is
So I’m interested to know what the number one cause is

https://www.jacksonville.com/article/20100505/news/801252877

Contrary to what's posted above, the number one cause of death of young black men is homicide. The majority by other men in their own community.

"For nearly all teenagers, accidents are the most common cause of death, a national study has found.
Yet for black males ages 12 to 19 years old, homicide eclipses accidents as the leading cause of death, according to a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study released Wednesday. That troubling statistic - or, more accurately, the deeper problems underlying it - is garnering some local attention. Advocates"
Original post by Just my opinion
https://www.jacksonville.com/article/20100505/news/801252877

Contrary to what's posted above, the number one cause of death of young black men is homicide. The majority by other men in their own community.

"For nearly all teenagers, accidents are the most common cause of death, a national study has found.
Yet for black males ages 12 to 19 years old, homicide eclipses accidents as the leading cause of death, according to a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study released Wednesday. That troubling statistic - or, more accurately, the deeper problems underlying it - is garnering some local attention. Advocates"

I expected just as much, I’m not going to shift the focus from police but before that happens black Americans really need to try to change things within their own community first
Reply 46
I expected just as much, I’m not going to shift the focus from police but before that happens black Americans really need to try to change things within their own community first

I agreed with all of what you said until the last word in bold. I think that the police have a particular role to be the most virtuous citizens as enforcers of the law. That is their job. While it's important that black-on-black crime is minimised, civilians killing each other is unfortunately a daily occurrence in all societies. On the other hand, the police's specific purpose is to protect and serve. If a newsworthy proportion of them are doing the exact opposite of this then who is there to protect that whole group of society? If these communities don't feel that they can trust the police enough to alert them in troubling situations then it's hardly surprising that these communities are living in a state of anarchy.
I agreed with all of what you said until the last word in bold. I think that the police have a particular role to be the most virtuous citizens as enforcers of the law. That is their job. While it's important that black-on-black crime is minimised, civilians killing each other is unfortunately a daily occurrence in all societies. On the other hand, the police's specific purpose is to protect and serve. If a newsworthy proportion of them are doing the exact opposite of this then who is there to protect that whole group of society? If these communities don't feel that they can trust the police enough to alert them in troubling situations then it's hardly surprising that these communities are living in a state of anarchy.

You need to read the post above yours
Reply 48
Original post by paul514
You need to read the post above yours

While there may be more white people killed by the police annually, that is because there is a higher percentage of whites in the country. In reality, black people are 2.5x more likely to be killed by the police than white people. This is obviously disproportionate and black people are often killed for trivial reasons, such as forging a 20 dollar note for George Floyd
While there may be more white people killed by the police annually, that is because there is a higher percentage of whites in the country. In reality, black people are 2.5x more likely to be killed by the police than white people. This is obviously disproportionate and black people are often killed for trivial reasons, such as forging a 20 dollar note for George Floyd

Whites commit fewer crimes though. Inb4 white patriarchy- Asians for instance commit less crimes than whites per capita and as a result have less criminals.

George Floyd died because he resisted arrest leading to him being restrained where he died of a heart attack due to being off of his head on drugs. He also had a long criminal history including once threatening a pregnant woman with a gun. If Floyd was white nobody would care and they'd be right not to.

The other poster has already replied to you with the reason for this. To further their point it’s not just the crime rate but also the type of crime.
Reply 51

Two points;
1) It might be disproportionate to the total percentage of the population whom are blacks but when you look at the equally disproportionate rate of crimes committed, well.
2) In what way was Floyd 'killed for forging a note'? As opposed to the excessively poor conduct of the officer concerned?
Original post by Napp
Two points;
1) It might be disproportionate to the total percentage of the population whom are blacks but when you look at the equally disproportionate rate of crimes committed, well.
2) In what way was Floyd 'killed for forging a note'? As opposed to the excessively poor conduct of the officer concerned?

and the other members of the public for failing to rescue him.
Reply 53
Original post by TheStupidMoon

You'd willingly get yourself shot by the police for a man you didnt know?
Original post by paul514
The other poster has already replied to you with the reason for this. To further their point it’s not just the crime rate but also the type of crime.

Meanwhile, in Croydon, black people just shooting and stabbing each other up. Funny how that’s never mentioned by the same people who think the police can’t justify all the extra stop and searches.
Reply 55
Original post by TheStupidMoon

that's not their job. In what society are civilians obliged to rescue other civilians from law enforcement??
Reply 56
Original post by Napp
Two points;

You know what, I do not deny that there are problems within the black community that need to be resolved. Fundamentally, the police abuse their power to kill civilians for low-grade offences. According to the police, their reason for arresting George Floyd was because he was using fake notes in a store. The punishment was not proportional to the crime so yes, his death was due to excessively poor conduct of the officer concerned. I don't think that's debatable. However, I can see that we are not going to agree on this matter as a whole so I do not see the point in continuing discussion
Reply 57
Original post by imlikeahermit
Meanwhile, in Croydon, black people just shooting and stabbing each other up. Funny how that’s never mentioned by the same people who think the police can’t justify all the extra stop and searches.

The proportion of stop and searches carried out on black people that result in arrest is 19% while the proportion of stop ans searches carried out on white people that result in arrest is 50%. This disproportionality evidences that the number of stop and searches carried out on black people is unreasonable.
The proportion of stop and searches carried out on black people that result in arrest is 19% while the proportion of stop ans searches carried out on white people that result in arrest is 50%. This disproportionality evidences that the number of stop and searches carried out on black people is unreasonable.

You keep telling yourself that pal. Meanwhile, in the real world, it’s actually because black men especially are statistically more likely to commit crime which makes the extra stop and searches entirely justifiable. One would also assume that because of wokeists like yourself and Khan, the amount of stop and searches that are actually done are less than should be done. Wasn’t it a former Met chief on GMB who said that the police gave up telling black teens not to carry knives in order to be not seen as racist? All your fault.
Reply 59
Original post by imlikeahermit
You keep telling yourself that pal. Meanwhile, in the real world, it’s actually because black men especially are statistically more likely to commit crime which makes the extra stop and searches entirely justifiable. One would also assume that because of wokeists like yourself and Khan, the amount of stop and searches that are actually done are less than should be done. Wasn’t it a former Met chief on GMB who said that the police gave up telling black teens not to carry knives in order to be not seen as racist? All your fault.

Where are the statistics to support your view? I have provided you with statistics which affirm my position but you have not provided me with any statistics about stop and search to support yours. If by 'wokeists' you are referring to my pursuit of the truth, then perhaps. I do not see how it is favourable to preserve ignorance when it can be eradicated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending