The Student Room Group

Canada: man arrested for ...

https://nypost.com/2021/03/18/man-arrested-for-discussing-childs-gender-in-court-order-violation/

Very interesting and progressive.

Personally I think they were too soft on the boys father who after all is clearly a bigoted and evil individual who committed "family violence". I'd wager he liked Trump too He should be put in some sort of education camp at the very least.

Maybe then Canada will be a truly tolerant society.

Exit: title change You be the Judge!

... On a unrelated note I think I might start learning Russian/ Polish
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Misleading title. The man was arrested because they were found to be in contempt of court, they continued to talk to the media about a previous case that the high court ordered them not to talk about. They weren't arrested just for refusing to accept their sons identity.
Original post by SHallowvale
They weren't arrested just for refusing to accept their sons identity.

*Just *

So it did play a part then.
Original post by Starship Trooper
*Just *

So it did play a part then.

Yes, I literally just explained why. Your title is misleading as it implies that someone was arrested for just refusing to accept their sons identity, which is not correct.
Yes, I literally just explained why. Your title is misleading as it implies that someone was arrested for just refusing to accept their sons identity, which is not correct.

Ok I have changed it, hope this meets with your approval. (Edit in Bold)

Now:
Canada: man arrested (in part) for refusing to accept trans son identity

I see this really adds so much extra nuance to the story.... 🙄😂
Ok I have changed it, hope this meets with your approval. (Edit in Bold)

Now:
Canada: man arrested (in part) for refusing to accept trans son identity

I see this really adds so much extra nuance to the story.... 🙄😂

It's certainly an improvement. The problem with trying to condense a story like this into a title is that you will always lose out on nuance.

It's no surprise that various anti-transgender sites are referring to this story as simply 'man disagrees with transgenderism, gets arrested'. This isn't true, but it's what their readers want to hear.
It's no surprise that various anti-transgender sites are referring to this story as simply 'man disagrees with transgenderism, gets arrested'. This isn't true, but it's what their readers want to hear.

If that's true they're jumping the gun on that one. Give it s few years. 😂

(Personally, I don't think there's a lack of nuance. I think it's reasonable to assume no-one is going to change their mind on this issue because of it:

'i did think it was completely wrong that the court arrested him for not accepting his son's gender identity. But now I know this was only half the reason: He also complained to the media too. That changes everything, that Man needs to go to jail!' -said no one ever. )
If that's true they're jumping the gun on that one. Give it s few years. 😂

(Personally, I don't think there's a lack of nuance. I think it's reasonable to assume no-one is going to change their mind on this issue because of it:

'i did think it was completely wrong that the court arrested him for not accepting his son's gender identity. But now I know this was only half the reason: He also complained to the media too. That changes everything, that Man needs to go to jail!' -said no one ever. )

People said "give it a few years" when Bill C-16 was passed, but we've yet to see anyone get arrested under this law for not using someone's desired pronouns.

The problem with the lack of nuance in your title isn't that it won't change people's minds, but rather it will spread misinformation. Most people will read a title like "Man Arrested For Refusing To Accept Trans Son Identity" and won't read any further. They'll leave it at that and then falsely believe that disagreeing with trans identities is criminal, which it isn't.
People said "give it a few years" when Bill C-16 was passed, but we've yet to see anyone get arrested under this law for not using someone's desired pronouns.

The problem with the lack of nuance in your title isn't that it won't change people's minds, but rather it will spread misinformation. Most people will read a title like "Man Arrested For Refusing To Accept Trans Son Identity" and won't read any further. They'll leave it at that and then falsely believe that disagreeing with trans identities is criminal, which it isn't.*

Uh we basically just did 😂

*Unless it's your son or daughter...

I genuinely don't think it's misinformation and think it's s reasonable assessment of what happened.
I feel like the title is still misleading. That's like saying "man arrested in part for not being able to afford food" when the person was actually arrested for robbing a store at gunpoint because he couldn't afford food. The man's decisions may have been caused by transphobia but he wasn't charged with a crime for not accepting his son.
So he wasn't arrested for refusing to accept trans son's identity?

Cultural warriors and their willingness to distort reality to suit their narrative never fail to amuse.
There you all go. Everyone can make their own mind up 😂👍
Uh we basically just did 😂

*Unless it's your son or daughter...

I genuinely don't think it's misinformation and think it's s reasonable assessment of what happened.

The order against him did not come under Bill C-16. It came under the Family Law Act, which enables use of such orders in the case of family violence.

Disagreeing with your son or daughters gender identity is not criminal in Canada. The man in this story wasn't arrested simply because they disagreed with their sons gender identity but because they violated a court order.
The order against him did not come under Bill C-16. It came under the Family Law Act, which enables use of such orders in the case of family violence.

Disagreeing with your son or daughters gender identity is not criminal in Canada. The man in this story wasn't arrested simply because they disagreed with their sons gender identity but because they violated a court order.

It's not considered criminal but it's considered 'family violence' 🤔🤔🤔

...And also 'family violence' as per above.
It's not considered criminal but it's considered 'family violence' 🤔🤔🤔

...And also 'family violence' as per above.

Yes, family violence, which includes psychological abuse. It was a combination of three things:

1. The father refusing to call their son by their preferred pronouns and preferred name.
2. The father attempting to override their sons consent to take medication.
3. The father bringing unwanted attention to their son by talking about their identity and medication to the media.

It was a combination of three things:

1. The father refusing to call their son by their preferred pronouns and preferred name.
2. The father attempting to override their sons consent to take medication.
3. The father bringing unwanted attention to their son by talking about their identity and medication to the media.

Agreed, with the additional caveat that point 3 was with the purpose of acquiring legal funds through fundraising to challenge this ruling.

I think my original title was a fair assessment of that but I'm not arguing it any more...
The gender-critical brigade strikes again by misrepresenting the situation :rolleyes:
Agreed, with the additional caveat that point 3 was with the purpose of acquiring legal funds through fundraising to challenge this ruling.

I think my original title was a fair assessment of that but I'm not arguing it any more...

It wasn't a fair assessment since it neglected to mention either A) the original court case or B) them being in contempt of said court case.
According to the article:

His son has identified as male since the age of 11, and changed his name at age 12 before pursuing hormone therapy with the support of his mother, a psychologist and an endocrinologist, according to Canadian law firm Torkin Manes.

11/12 years old! That's a bit young , isn't it.
Reply 19
https://nypost.com/2021/03/18/man-arrested-for-discussing-childs-gender-in-court-order-violation/

Very interesting and progressive.

Personally I think they were too soft on the boys father who after all is clearly a bigoted and evil individual who committed "family violence". I'd wager he liked Trump too He should be put in some sort of education camp at the very least.

Maybe then Canada will be a truly tolerant society.

Exit: title change You be the Judge!

... On a unrelated note I think I might start learning Russian/ Polish

Why Russian or Polish? I recommend Russian personally, although its grammar is damn evil :lol:
They weren't arrested just for refusing to accept their sons identity.

You don't find that a problem..?

Latest

Trending

Trending