The Student Room Group

medicine

is it true some unis like newcastle totallt disregard gcses once a-level requirements are met?
Yes. You can look at how universities used GCSEs for 2021 entry here (note that this has had some changes for 2022 not yet added): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements

Both Newcastle and Cambridge do not have minimum requirements for GCSEs.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by becausethenight
Yes. You can look at how universities used GCSEs for 2021 entry here (note that this has had some changes for 2022 not yet added): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements

Both Newcastle and Cambridge do not have minimum requirements for GCSEs.

whys that? i thought medicine was competitive??
Original post by ghostface300
whys that? i thought medicine was competitive??

It is, don't get me wrong!

The thing is that all universities have different ways of whittling down the competition. Oxford and Cardiff reject anyone without 9 8/9s at GCSE, but you could get in with only A*AA and AAA predicted respectively, and a lower UCAT score for Cardiff, for example.

Newcastle has no GCSE requirements, but selects entirely based on UCAT. Their cutoffs are regularly 2800+, so around 85%+ of students will not have a high enough UCAT score to apply as that's around the 85th centile. Cambridge requires A*A*A at A level and a high BMAT, then interviews around 80% of applicants so selection is heavily based on interview as well. Those methods work for them to cut down student numbers.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by becausethenight
It is, don't get me wrong!

The thing is that all universities have different ways of whittling down the competition. Oxford and Cardiff reject anyone without 9 8/9s at GCSE, but you could get in with only A*AA and AAA predicted respectively, and a lower UCAT score for Cardiff, for example.

Newcastle has no GCSE requirements, but selects entirely based on UCAT. Their cutoffs are regularly 2800+, so around 85%+ of students will not have a high enough UCAT score to apply as that's around the 85th centile. Cambridge requires A*A*A at A level and a high BMAT, then interviews around 80% of applicants so selection is heavily based on interview as well. Those methods work for them to cut down student numbers.

ohhh ok thanks for clearing that up
so its basically unis have differnet ways of finding the ideal medicine student whether it be ukat gcses etc
Reply 6
so its basically unis have differnet ways of finding the ideal medicine student whether it be ukat gcses etc

Well I wouldn't describe it as finding the "ideal medical student", they just have different ways of cutting down the number of applicants that they need to e.g. UCAT/BMAT, A-levels, GCSEs, PS(rarely) or interviews etc.
(edited 2 years ago)

Just vastly and crazily different yes. You have to spend many hours doing your research if you want your best chance to put in a successful medical application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending