The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Oldl
Hi everyone! I am aiming to do a Geography Secondary PGCE. However, I am having no luck with finding school experience at the moment. Will I have no chance of being accepted without any? I am a departmental peer guide currently at Uni and I volunteered as a Biology TA during my A-Levels. Many thanks!

You could always ask the Universities or training providers you want to apply to? I had a question about the application and the provider emailed me back super quick!
Original post by charlotteemily27
Amazing! Congratulations :smile:

Which teaching school have you applied through if you don’t mind me asking? :smile:

I've applied to Sheffield and Doncaster (both local to me). How about you?
Original post by marxkate
I've applied to Sheffield and Doncaster (both local to me). How about you?

I’m in Lincoln, I already work in a school and so I’ve applied to do my Scitt training there :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by marxkate
I applied for my three choices on Tuesday and heard back 24 hours later with an interview offer for next Tuesday! So excited! Apparently they tell you whether or not you are successful within 24 hours after that also!

How did the interview go?!
If you've been a TA in a Primary school then I'd be more interested in that, and what you've observed/know about Primary teaching through that, than what your advisor said (as a Course Leader for a PGCE Primary)
Reply 85
I’m nervously waiting the reply to my applications. I put my application in for 2 SCITT courses, in the south west last week. How long did it take people to hear back?
Reply 86
Original post by KL0526
I’m nervously waiting the reply to my applications. I put my application in for 2 SCITT courses, in the south west last week. How long did it take people to hear back?

I applied for 3 SCITT in Yorkshire. One got back to me the same day and the other two took 3 days (but I also applied on a Friday so there was the weekend in between). One provider said I was the first person they're interviewing so they needed to dig out all the paperwork and another is interviewing all day today but also said the DfE Apply is being slow and they're having difficulty with it.
Reply 87
Wow, super quick replies then. Hope your interviews go well. Hopefully it’s just south west speed slowing things down for me and I’ll hear from them soon.
Reply 88
I have my first interview on Wednesday! Has anyone had a SCITT interview and what questions was asked? Also when do you get to know if you got a place or not?
Original post by tlbeno
I have my first interview on Wednesday! Has anyone had a SCITT interview and what questions was asked? Also when do you get to know if you got a place or not?

I did a SCITT course. The interview was pretty standard - it was very similar to my interview for a uni-based PGCE. The main difference was that my SCITT interview included a short lesson with a small group of students, but you'll have been told in advance if you're expected to do that!

You should be prepared to talk about:
- yourself in general (your degree / previous career if you've had one / your general interests)
- your reasons for wanting to teach (in general and also specifically why you want to teach your subject)
- your subject knowledge
- current issues in education
- how resilient you can be (as it's a tough course!) and how prepared you are to be in school from the first day
- your experiences working with young people in educational settings / clubs
- any questions you have for them

As with any interview, the key thing to remember is that you can pause before answering to think over your response, and don't be afraid to ask for clarification!
Reply 90
Original post by tlbeno

I heard back from the two I had last week super quick! As in 30 minutes and 90 minutes later. I'm in a different time zone though so I think they might have contacted me quickly because they knew I was about to go to bed haha! They said it would be a few days, especially with half term this week. They should tell you at the end though - good luck!!
Reply 91
Hi everyone, I'm applying for secondary social science teacher training for 2022 and reeeally stuck on whether to go for School Direct or Uni route. The school direct route I will apply to seems like a great school/fairly close (about 30 mins travel) but I keep reading things about people being very stressed and thrown into the deep end doing SD. But with the Uni route I don't like the thought of not knowing where the 2 placements will be and have also heard sometimes people feel less 'prepared' with because the placements are shorter. Any advice?
Original post by Js01029
Hi everyone, I'm applying for secondary social science teacher training for 2022 and reeeally stuck on whether to go for School Direct or Uni route. The school direct route I will apply to seems like a great school/fairly close (about 30 mins travel) but I keep reading things about people being very stressed and thrown into the deep end doing SD. But with the Uni route I don't like the thought of not knowing where the 2 placements will be and have also heard sometimes people feel less 'prepared' with because the placements are shorter. Any advice?

School Direct routes will still train you before getting you to teach a full lesson. You will do plenty of observation before you start teaching, but you probably won't have learned as much theory before you start teaching, so if that concerns you then you may want to opt for the uni route.

Have you already interviewed? If not, you should use the interview as a time to get a feel for what the pacing of the course will be. You can ask the school direct people how quickly trainees are expected to start teaching parts of lessons or full lessons, and what a typical trainee timetable looks like. That should help you make your decision.
Hey everyone. I'm applying for a PGCE Primary course at UCL. I've completed my whole application (personal statement, school experience, etc) and am now waiting for an academic reference. I'm really worried since my lecturers haven't replied to my email even though I requested it a month ago and sent 2 emails already... What should I do? I heard places get filled by end of december for UCL and I don't want to miss this chance..
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by sangtoms
Hey everyone. I'm applying for a PGCE Primary course at UCL. I've completed my whole application (personal statement, school experience, etc) and am now waiting for an academic reference. I'm really worried since my lecturers haven't replied to my email even though I requested it a month ago and sent 2 emails already... What should I do? I heard places get filled by end of december for UCL and I don't want to miss this chance..

If you applied through Gov.com you should be able to request an unlimited amount of referees & send reminder emails to those you have requested from! Is there anyone else you could ask for a reference from?
Original post by sangtoms

This is not true.
Whilst UCL is popular and they do receive a lot of applicants, they don't close THAT early.
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
This is not true.
Whilst UCL is popular and they do receive a lot of applicants, they don't close THAT early.

Thats a relief. I read that somewhere and it had me stressing.

Original post by Js01029
If you applied through Gov.com you should be able to request an unlimited amount of referees & send reminder emails to those you have requested from! Is there anyone else you could ask for a reference from?

I requested a reference from 2 lecturers a month ago and still no reply. I've reminded them again and I'm hoping they reply soon..
Hi all, I've been offered an interview which involves a 1 hour written task - any idea what the written task would include? Is it aimed to check spelling and grammar, or related to topical educational issues, or something else? 1 hour seems longer than I anticipated for a written task! Thanks in advance for any responses.
Original post by KellyT_786522
Hi all, I've been offered an interview which involves a 1 hour written task - any idea what the written task would include? Is it aimed to check spelling and grammar, or related to topical educational issues, or something else? 1 hour seems longer than I anticipated for a written task! Thanks in advance for any responses.

It could be anything. From experience, it may be based on your comprehension of a text or it may be about comparing and contrasting different theories.
Original post by tlbeno

Best of luck for the interview

Latest

Trending

Trending