The Student Room Group

Postgraduate pre - registration funding after PGCE

Hi, I am a qualified teacher and have recently applied for a MSc in Speech and Language therapy. It is a pre registration health course so should be eligible for the same funding as undergraduates. However, when filling out the form on SFE, it says that having Qualified Teacher Status (PGCE) means you can only apply for maintenance, not tuition loans and that you need to apply by paper.
Is this right? Am I really not eligible for a tuition loan because I’ve done teacher training a gazillion years ago? Has anyone else with QTS actually received tuition and maintenance support for a pre registration postgrad helathn related course ?
Original post by rosiewho
Hi, I am a qualified teacher and have recently applied for a MSc in Speech and Language therapy. It is a pre registration health course so should be eligible for the same funding as undergraduates. However, when filling out the form on SFE, it says that having Qualified Teacher Status (PGCE) means you can only apply for maintenance, not tuition loans and that you need to apply by paper.
Is this right? Am I really not eligible for a tuition loan because I’ve done teacher training a gazillion years ago? Has anyone else with QTS actually received tuition and maintenance support for a pre registration postgrad helathn related course ?

Hi Rosie,

You will be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan as well as a Maintenance Loan.

If you're unable to apply online, you will need to send a paper application, which can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/studying-full-time-in-england-and-qualify-for-support-with-tuition-fees-and-living-costs/apply-for-student-loans-and-grants/2022-to-2023/no.

Thanks,
Kristina
Reply 2
Original post by rosiewho

Did you find a success with this? I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you regarding QTS and MSC in SLT?
Thanks so much!
Original post by Em909090
Did you find a success with this? I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you regarding QTS and MSC in SLT?
Thanks so much!

Hi there,

If you need assistance with any queries then either respond below or for account access, you can contact us via the live chat in your account. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending