The Student Room Group

gcse grades

are these good grades? maths 7, english lit 6, english lang 6, physics 8/9, biology 7, chemistry 7, history 5, geography 6, RS 5, business 8. What I predict myself for mocks. So overall 987776655
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah amazing! :smile:
Define "good". They are a long way above average for the general population. They are rather below average if you want to be a doctor.

That's if you get those grades, of course. Predictions are not grades. There is no point worrying about how good something that you haven't achieved yet would be.
Original post by Aqua12345
are these good grades? maths 7, english lit 6, english lang 6, physics 8/9, biology 7, chemistry 7, history 5, geography 6, RS 5, business 8. my predictions for mocks. So overall 987776655

Yes they are well done. However please dont focus on these too much as in the mocks/ actual exams you may get significantly higher or lower than what is predicted - its all about how much effort you put into each subject and how you use your time.

Best of luck for your mocks.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by skylark2
Define "good". They are a long way above average for the general population. They are rather below average if you want to be a doctor.

That's if you get those grades, of course. Predictions are not grades. There is no point worrying about how good something that you haven't achieved yet would be.

i just meant in general, i want to do astrophysics at uni, hence the 9 in physics haha.
Reply 5
Original post by TriplexA
Yes they are well done. However please dont focus on these too much as in the mocks/ actual exams you may get significantly higher or lower than what is predicted - its all about how much effort you put into each subject and how you use your time.

Best of luck for your mocks.

thats true but TAG teacher assessed grades are looking more and more likely so theres a chance these could influence my actual grades.
Reply 6
Original post by TheSuckUpStudent
Yeah amazing! :smile:

ty
thats true but TAG teacher assessed grades are looking more and more likely so theres a chance these could influence my actual grades.

Yes I do understand what you mean. Mocks may have a higher significance than your predictions as they're more in depth/recent than your prior assessments which are the basis of your predictions.

Study hard regardless. Best wishes.
i just meant in general, i want to do astrophysics at uni, hence the 9 in physics haha.

They're good grades overall, though a fair way from being top grades (almost everyone at Oxford or Cambridge will have grades which are significantly better than that, for instance). The maths is a bit of a worry if you want to do astrophysics. University physics in general, and astrophysics in particular, is extremely mathematical when compared to the largely qualitative stuff you do at school, and the maths involved is hard in its own right. If your maths grade is lower because you think focusing exclusively on physics is what you need to do, best do a bit of refocusing. Getting on for 50% of your university course will be maths, quite apart from the maths you have to do to answer physics questions.
Reply 9
Original post by skylark2
They're good grades overall, though a fair way from being top grades (almost everyone at Oxford or Cambridge will have grades which are significantly better than that, for instance). The maths is a bit of a worry if you want to do astrophysics. University physics in general, and astrophysics in particular, is extremely mathematical when compared to the largely qualitative stuff you do at school, and the maths involved is hard in its own right. If your maths grade is lower because you think focusing exclusively on physics is what you need to do, best do a bit of refocusing. Getting on for 50% of your university course will be maths, quite apart from the maths you have to do to answer physics questions.

yeah that is true, for actual gcses i want to get an 8 in maths, i will be revisng it quite a lot so hopefully that happens. thank you anyway tho.

Quick Reply

Latest