The Student Room Group

GCSE re take

So basically I failed my maths gcse and I’m in year 13. I’m re doing my maths gcse but does that stop me from getting into a university
Original post by Ha-
So basically I failed my maths gcse and I’m in year 13. I’m re doing my maths gcse but does that stop me from getting into a university

It might. It might not. Universities sometimes have minimum GCSE requirements which apply to all courses. More normally they have minimum GCSE requirements which relate to specific courses.

So a course at university A might mandate a GCSE grade 4 in Maths, whilst university B might have no such requirement for their version of the same course. Similarly, university A might have other courses which require a grade 6, or have no GCSE maths requirement at all.

So, what degree course are you hoping to study? Are you targeting and particularly universities right now?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia

It might. It might not. Universities sometimes have minimum GCSE requirements which apply to all courses. More normally they have minimum GCSE requirements which relate to specific courses.

So a course at university A might mandate a GCSE grade 4 in Maths, whilst university B might have no such requirement for their version of the same course. Similarly, university A might have other courses which require a grade 6, or have no GCSE maths requirement at all.

So, what degree course are you hoping to study? Are you targeting and particularly universities right now?

Hi Datavenia,
I’m looking at studying child nursing in September 2024

I already sent my ucas application to unis
My choices were:
Kings
City
Surrey
Greenwhich
Kingston
My predicted grades are:
Health and social care - distinction
Criminology- c
Travel and tourism - distinction
GCSE maths - 4
Original post by Ha-
Hi Datavenia,
I’m looking at studying child nursing in September 2024

I already sent my ucas application to unis
My choices were:
Kings
City
Surrey
Greenwhich
Kingston
My predicted grades are:
Health and social care - distinction
Criminology- c
Travel and tourism - distinction
GCSE maths - 4

OK. King's mandate "Five GCSEs at grade 4/C including English Language, Mathematics and Science." You meet that Maths requirement. I assume the English Language and Science are OK too?

City want "A minimum of grade 4 (C) in GCSE English Language and Mathematics". So you're likely good there too.

Do you meet the GCSE requirements at the other three? If so, what issue are you seeing? (By the way, you wrote earlier that "I failed my maths gcse". A grade 4 is not a fail.)
Reply 4
No I mean that I got a 3 and I’m predicted to get a 4 this year
Yes I meet the English language and science gcse requirements
Original post by Ha-
No I mean that I got a 3 and I’m predicted to get a 4 this year
Yes I meet the English language and science gcse requirements

Ah, understood. Unis tend to be non-negotiable on GCSE grades. So you're going to need that grade 4. Good luck. :crossedf:
Reply 6

Ah, understood. Unis tend to be non-negotiable on GCSE grades. So you're going to need that grade 4. Good luck. :crossedf:

Thank you 🫶🏽
I’m going to get that 4 💪🏽
Reply 7

Are you in uni?
What course are you doing if you don’t mind sharing?
Do you like the experience?

Quick Reply

Latest